Best and Worst SET of tires you've ever put on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best set(s), Bridgestone Revo2's(truck) and Alenza Plus(Sequoia)
Worst, it's a tie. First set of tires were bias ply G60-14 recaps(1984) and a set for my lifted F250 4x4 15/38.5/16.5 bias ply Super Swampers

Worst:
OEM Goodyear Integrity, they did great in the MPG department and dry but ehh in the rain
OEM Dunlop SP Sport 4000 A/S on the parent's van

Best:
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
ContiExtremeContact

Best: General Altimax RT43 run at 40 psi, 60,000 plus miles out of each set of 4.Very predictable in the rain.Michelin LTX MS/2 SUV tires, very good wear(65k), getting noisy with 10,000 or so miles left to go.

HaHa - had a guy go ballistic trying to balance my 38" Swamper TSL's - he peeled out of there - thought I inherited an alignment shop. Came back with a big box of lead bananas to "finish"

Worst
Never had a Bad set of Tires really.
On second thought I had an oem tire that I think was the Hankook Optimo H426
In the wind it floated all over the road.

Best.
CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology
PureContact with EcoPlus Technology

Two different vehicles both were Awesome tires.

Worst:
Cooper Discovery AT3s (35k mi)
Wore fast, sucked in snow

Best:
Tie between BF Goodrich KO (50k miles), awesome in snow and rain

and Kelly Safari TSRs

Worst: BFGoodrich Radial T/A

I bought these due to their popularity in the mid-80's and they were horrible. They howled around corners when it was dry, easily lost grip from a stand still in wet conditions, and were positively useless (heck, dangerous) in snow.

Best: Pirelli P Zero Nero, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

I also had a set of Dunlops in the early nineties that I remember being a good tire, but can't recall the specific name.

Worst: Michelin Crossterrains my Liberty came with in 07. Looked like the PO had just put on. Horrible in the rain, rode harsh and were loud for being a road tire.

Best: Nitto Terragrappers. Both the LR3 and Liberty are on their second sets. Wear is ok. Quiet on road, smooth, great traction in snow, rain and ice. Good off road too.

Worst:
Cooper Lifeliner SLE, 225/50R17 on a Volvo S80
Worn out in 35k, not very quiet, noticeably worse fuel mileage (my Blizzak WS50s were better), downright dangerous in the snow (any incline at all = not moving, washed out exceptionally easily in turns, even for all seasons)

Best:
Michelin Defender 225/55R17 on a Chrysler 300M
Quiet, economical, wear like iron (lost only 1/32" in 15k), pretty good in snow for an all season. Not great for an aggressive driver though.

Pirelli P7 Cinturato is very high on my list as well, especially since they cost much less than Michelins.

Best:

Pirelli P7 All Season Plus that are currently on my Accord

Worst:

nothing yet, all my tires have been at least good. I wouldn't willingly put anything poor on my car.

Edit: the tires on my brothers Ford Ranger are TERRIBLE on wet roads, they have plenty of tread left and will literally slide under mild braking. It's downright scary and dangerous driving that truck in the rain. I think they are Tiger Paws.

I have some Cooper tires on my 2006 Prius that are rated for 60K and currently have 63K with 10-15K left on them.
Worst were Toyo-OEM tires on 2010 RAV4 AND as replacement tires on a Taurus that we bought with 36K miles. RAV4 were made in Japan, Taurus were made in China JUNK. MAGA
I'm using Firestone Destination LE.s on the RAV4 (2nd set).

Worst:
BFG Rugged Trail (Toyota Tundra)
Whatever used tires was thrown on my 92 Sentra posbox w/ 13" wheels.

Alright:
Toyo Versado LXII (Lexus LS430). Quiet performance tire but trades off for bad treadwear.

Best:
BFG A/T KO2's
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Bridgestone Dueler Alenza

Best:
Michelin Defender (wear great, quiet, grip well in many conditions in summer and winter)

Worst:
Continental ContiExtremeContact (wore fast)

Bottom of the Worst Firestone The only tire company that tried to kill my entire family,:
Wards Grappler (aka Firestone 500) (Had the classic 500's entire-sidewall blowout at highway speeds)

Next Worst:

Telestar Weatherizer (useless when wet, would get totally sideways in any water)
80's Uniroyal Tiger Paw (wore like iron, traction like iron)
Goodyear Wrangler SR/A (wore like iron, traction like iron)

Meh:
Michelin Primacy MXV4 (poor rain tire and then poor everything and loud after 30K)
All other Goodyears

Best:
Michelin LTX MS/2 (Awesome traction even worn, did everything right except fuel economy)
70's/80's Michelin XZX (Probably hopelessly obsolete now, but taught me what a REAL tire could do for a car)
Michelin LTX A/T (not /2) Great highway and snow tire, mislabeled as an All Terrain
General Altimax Arctic (Awesome snow and ice tire)
Continental Pure Contact w/ Eco Plus (silly name, great tire)

Worst:
Kumho Ecsta. Every time I had to brake I prayed, and I am not religious.
Hankook W300 (winter tire). They go on snow as pair of very good skis.

Best:
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Continental Sport Contact 3
Good Year Ultra Grip 6 (winter) that I owned long time ago in Europe.
Continental TS830 (winter) also owned in Europe.

Best : Bridgestone A/T Revo (last decade) & Bridgestone A/T Revo 2 (current truck).

Worst tires owned as a set : every single stinkin' set of Goodyear Wranglers that came new off the lot on the last 3 trucks I've owned (one new, the last 2 slightly used), consistent since 1993.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back