Best aerosol to clean fuel injectors on the rail

Kind of a part two to "why my boat won't plane" post. I plan on going through my fuel system on Sunday. One of the things I want to do is clean the injectors. I figure the easiest way is to disable the fuel pump, use an aerosol cleaner to spray/ pressurize the fuel rail, start the engine and spray the contents into the rail and run the engine until I'm confident the injectors got cleaned.

The only reason I want to do it that way is so that I don't have to worry about damaging any o rings or pentil caps removing the injectors from the rail or intake. I've seen videos on YouTube showing this crude method and it seems to work similar to the kits you buy that pump cleaner from a pressurized bottle into the fuel rail via the Schrader valve port. Long story short is what is the best cleaner in a can for this?

I Think BG has the pressurized can that you connect to the fuel rail in place of the fuel line and let it run the can through. I'm sure there's others but that's the one that stands out off the top of my head.

This is what I used, available at NAPA, a pressurized can with a threaded end, not a nozzle. Pro Cleen - Part# UNI 218489 or (2-18489).
NAPA.jpg

Last edited:
CRC Intake and turbo cleaner will also clean the injectors when sprayed into the throttle body with the engine running at full operating temp.

CRC Intake and turbo cleaner will also clean the injectors when sprayed into the throttle body with the engine running at full operating temp.

Huh? How is it going to clean the injectors when it's blowing past in the intake air?

Injectors need to be cleaned from the inside out. If you have enough crud on them that cleaning them from the outside works, you have other problems.

That CRC cleaner is meant to clean the backs of the intake valves in GDI engines. It would probably do the same for port injection engines, but there's not going to be a lot there to clean since fuel will have been going through there as well.

Huh? How is it going to clean the injectors when it's blowing past in the intake air?

Injectors need to be cleaned from the inside out. If you have enough crud on them that cleaning them from the outside works, you have other problems.

That CRC cleaner is meant to clean the backs of the intake valves in GDI engines. It would probably do the same for port injection engines, but there's not going to be a lot there to clean since fuel will have been going through there as well.
Oh - - I was thinking it had DI.
It can clean the injectors of DI engines, not port.

Either way - - - marine engines can get really carboned up, especially if you fuel up at those crappy marine-on-the-water stations. No Top Tier there.
CRC will remove the carbon on the piston tops over 7 days of engine use.

Grab 2 bottles of SI-1 and some CRC......right as rain.

Back