Tool to clean fuel injector vs sending them out

Hi all,

So the fuel injectors on my beater 97' cavalier have a small leak. My dad picked up 4 used ones. I saw a YouTube video where a guy pulled fuel injectors from a motorcycle and clipped them into a tool that would cycle them. He then sprayed injector cleaner through them to clean them out. Is this a valid method vs sending them out to be cleaned "blueprinted" and new seals installed? There is a place in Denver that I think is $40ish per injector to do this. Anyone here done or prefer one method vs the other?

Ok cool. Thanks for the help. I'll reach out as my cavalier is my consistently inconsistent back up vehicle. It needs a head gasket, as well as a new radiator which I ordered.

Don't do aftermarket whatever you do. Eric O had a vid where new aftermarkets were just dumping fuel as if an open fuel line.

Don't do aftermarket whatever you do. Eric O had a vid where new aftermarkets were just dumping fuel as if an open fuel line.
From my dads description GM went with "bottom feeder" (catfish? Rimshot) Injectors and if not installed to a tee can cause hydro lock. What causes this issue with aftermarket fuel injectors? If it wasn't for Corvettes or Camaros or large Diesel trucks the cavalier would have me swear off EVERYTHING GM in the future. This car is so cheap I'm surrounded it hasn't self disintegrated. The headlight switch failed. The new one isn't much better as It has issues with completely turning off the drls making the headlights dim.

Either get new injectors (Rock Auto has GM OE injectors for both the 2.2 and 2.4 engines offered on the 1997 Cavalier)

Or send them to Hurst Injector Service (@Trav)
+1 Unfortunately replacement with OE is the best way with these either the 2.2 or 2.4. The side feed style on the 2.2 are prone to internal corrosion and leaking and the Multec 1 on the 2.4 are notorious for weak coils and tend to blow out under pressure and rpm, these only get worse as they age, other than new coils ($$) they are not really serviceable.
The Multec 1, Magneti Marelli shorts, Honda DI 1.5 and a few others are injectors really not worth servicing as the failure rate is 50%+ with these.

Back