Best action shoot-out film ? honors goes to Heat IMHO..

I agree. How sad was it to see, after all those years of Mafia empire building, Michael die by falling off a chair. Then having some old mutt of a dog sniffing him, as he is getting ready to urinate.
Well.......... okay, okay, one moment, let me just day, I think that was the only way it COULD end.

That scene touches me. "Intermezzo Rusticeria" (Raging Bull intro song.. same piece of music) playing. Michael has gotten old, lived his life.. we still have the cartoonish shoot-outs, but Part 3 was all about his past sins catching up with him, even though he made good, we see this in the scene immediately before where Michael powerfully shows emotion in the silent scream. That was rather amazing for him.

He had nothing left, got old and died.

When we finally do go, someone will find us, and we can only hope in time so whatever loving pets we have can live and eat past our exit from this earth...

The ending was the best part, IMHO. Figure named Michael Franzese (YouTube guy) also feels 3 was poorly executed, a rise of the "punks" as you said about another movie, I do understand. But story-wise.. it had to end that way. IMHO.

Screenshot_20220127-071016_Gallery.jpg

I always thought it was: the first two, Val and Tom, had to think about it and do a little pondering before saying yes. They get to Trejo and he doesn't need to think, says yes right away. The laughter by the others that follows shows that they were humored by his instant, no thought, yeah I'm in attitude compared to themselves.

The way he is nervously looking around at the pay phone never led me to think he was backing out.

**After reading posts earlier today, I had to watch it again! Just finished about an hour ago.
I think you guys called it. I had to rewatch the Trejo scene. It does appear that when he called to tell Neal he was being tailed, he may have just came up with that idea, a quick and easy excuse at a way out without looking bad to the boys.

Yes, and there's many other scenes too where Neal's compassion or selflessness really shines through. Many of the scenes with his love interest, where he does not want to get her involved, reluctantly does, etc. At the end, instead of getting her tangled up in the mess, he walks away (as he said he would do, to walk away. There's others I'm forgetting, but his character is really deep and well thought out and internally consistent.
I always got a kick out some of the funny stuff in HEAT. Like, Vincent & Company at the docks when Neal gives them the slip and he is watching them from on top of the cranes later. Someone asks Vincent "ok, well what are we doing, what is / was he looking at?" and Vincent starts to strut and laughs throwing his arms up.... "I got it. You want to know what he is looking at? He is looking at us , THE POLICE, THE LAPD! Is this guy something or what!?" They had time to toss some humor into this one in two or three places. When they arrest the twerp who Judd is cheating with and Vincent tells they guy "because she got a great ass and you had your head all the way up it!" :ROFLMAO: The way he is bent down handcuffed and he looks back in fear at Vincent's crazed loud teasing comments. Its almost like..... "I am in some stuff now but....uh, are these really the POLICE?"

I loved Heat and Pacino was very good in most of it, but the scenery-chewing got out of hand, the 'Great ass!' scene being the worst. The chop shop 'Gimme all you got!' scene being a close second.

Has anyone mentioned The Godfather trilogy, I think each one had action, 3 being the weakest of course ?
A few years ago HBO released 'The Godfather Epic' which was a combo of both 1, and 2 with additional 30 some minutes of unused footage.

Was only a 7 hour movie.

I loved Heat and Pacino was very good in most of it, but the scenery-chewing got out of hand, the 'Great ass!' scene being the worst. The chop shop 'Gimme all you got!' scene being a close second.
Oh man, I feel exactly the opposite. It's unlike all of the very wooden bland acting of today's films.

Pacino is a burnt out, frustrated, over-worked homicide detective who spends all of his time cleaning up messes, chasing murderers, and very unappreciated by his messed up family. He uses his opportunities at work to "express himself" so to speak.

'Quarry'...While this 1 season series has some impressive 'gunslinging' - it's a great show...No clue why it was never given another season.

It's similar to 'Ozark' where it gets the viewer thrust immediately into the action and it keeps you there throughout much of the series.

Bumping my own reply - hoping more here will see this and watch what I consider to be an exceptional series (albeit 1 season only)...Just a FYI - the actor below is also seen in 'Ozark' as Marty Byrde's ex-partner.

Last edited:
I think you guys called it. I had to rewatch the Trejo scene. It does appear that when he called to tell Neal he was being tailed, he may have just came up with that idea, a quick and easy excuse at a way out without looking bad to the boys.
I was actually saying the opposite. I DO think the scene tells that he was being followed and he did call to warn them and HAD to back out so the caper could still go ahead...if possible.

Reasoning: these guys were top tier thieves (no "thrill seeking liquor store holdups and born to lose tattoos"), a very tight squad. Pros. That phone scene didn't have to happen if he was going to pull a no-show. We'd have only found out what happened to him, possibly, when Neil goes to find him half dead in his house. Seeing how well the movie was written, if he was going to pull a no-show, I believe there would have been an explanation as to WHY, too. It would be a glaring hole, otherwise. I think the movie is how it was filmed. Accepts the job with no hesitation and has to back out due to the police tailing him.

I was actually saying the opposite. I DO think the scene tells that he was being followed and he did call to warn them and HAD to back out so the caper could still go ahead...if possible.

Reasoning: these guys were top tier thieves (no "thrill seeking liquor store holdups and born to lose tattoos"), a very tight squad. Pros. That phone scene didn't have to happen if he was going to pull a no-show. We'd have only found out what happened to him, possibly, when Neil goes to find him half dead in his house. Seeing how well the movie was written, if he was going to pull a no-show, I believe there would have been an explanation as to WHY, too. It would be a glaring hole, otherwise. I think the movie is how it was filmed. Accepts the job with no hesitation and has to back out due to the police tailing him.

But why is Trejo in casual track suit attire shortly before their job? Makes no sense given the attire the crew was in. His looking around furtively is just him being on guard, especially if they thought Waingro was out for them. The more I think about it I do think he backed out that day and used the only excuse that would not seem to be a betrayal to the crew.

This, plus zero mention of Pacino's crew having picked up Trejo make me think Trejo backed out.

:ROFLMAO: That is why I am so glad to have DvD players and closed captions.... I am always hitting pause or rewing and then reading what was said. Almost totally deaf in one ear. That movie is so long + good every time I see it I notice something I had not before. I had always paid no attention to the possibility of Trejo skipping out until the discussion here. When I watched it over its like, ???? maybe the way it was shown without a hint of a police car being shown or undercover car shown watcing him as they often show. Just Trejo jogging off so casual after the call. He also seem dressed for the back patio sipping beer next to the BBQ instead of driving a possible high action getaway car. Who knows - just a great film. I did hate Wayne Gro. Slimy character.

But why is Trejo in casual track suit attire shortly before their job? Makes no sense given the attire the crew was in. His looking around furtively is just him being on guard, especially if they thought Waingro was out for them. The more I think about it I do think he backed out that day and used the only excuse that would not seem to be a betrayal to the crew.

This, plus zero mention of Pacino's crew having picked up Trejo make me think Trejo backed out.
If he is just the driver, the clothes wouldn't matter, would they?

BUT...I just watched this deleted scenes video and I think you guys are probably right!!! Watch to see WHY!!!

Back