Best action shoot-out film ? honors goes to Heat IMHO..

The Al Pacino, Val Kilmer, Robert DeNiro .....the shootout scene does what no other movie comes close to.....gunfire is loud! The scene has to be L.E. worst nightmare.....Ive read the two in the North Hollywood shootout based thier bank heist off the move Heat

Last edited:
Bruce Willis - Last Man Standing
Dwayne Johnson - The Rundown (ironic because he refused to use a gun at the start)

Heat was a perfectly directed movie. The lighting, characters were all awesome.

Heat is probably the best, I agree. It combines amazing characters and story with top shelf acting by a cast of heavy hitters - Pacino, Deniro, Sizemore, Kilmer, Judd, and many others. I love the many side story lines involved. It's a remarkable piece of film. And incredible shootout scenes. It's a definite favorite with endless re-watchability, not just the famous bank heist scene.

Here are others that I like, and would recommend, for similar reasons.
* Ronin (little known, much overlooked film nearly as good as Heat)
* Band of Brothers series (WWII)
* Saving Private Ryan (WWII)
* Collateral
* Pacific series (WWII)

In my opinion the shoot out with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in Mr and Mrs Smith is epic. They tore the crap out of that house

Don

In my opinion the shoot out with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in Mr and Mrs Smith is epic. They tore the crap out of that house

Don

I remember hating that film, intensely. I require some level of believability in a film, in order to be invested in it and the outcome. It's why I don't care for most of what Hollyweird pushes these days. YMMV.

The best, as in realistic, fencing was in The Duellists with Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine (1978), directed by Ridley Scott.

I agree with 1.) "Heat".... 2.) "The Wild Bunch".... 3.) "Last Man Standing".

Honorable mention goes to the ending of, "The Highwaymen", with Kevin Costner.

The Highway Men is one of my favorite newer movies. Woody & Kevin did a brilliant job. Bonnie & Clyde were certainly ambushed and deservingly so. It was the only way they were going to get’em.

How about Sonny Corleone at the boarder?
Or Tony Montana in his home?

The only problem with Heat was no DeNiro/Pacino scene until the very end
They have an incredible exchange in the diner scene. Very powerful, very tense.

There is also the bank heist get away, with Pacino and DeNiro exchanging gun fire on the same street! Pacino's partner dropped Kilmer, just a short distance from DeNiro. Scenes cutting back and forth including Pachino and DeNiro throwing lead up and down the street. And Pacino literally chases DeNiro and Kilmer, including a long-gun exchange in a grocery store parking lot, where DeNiro escapes in a stolen car! And Pacino drops Sizemore.

When you think of all the fantastic films DeNiro and Pachino have starred in, I think Heat might be them both at the top of their game. It's probably Sizemore's best or 2nd best film (the other being Saving Private Ryan). Kilmer has had an incredible career, including Tombstone, and Heat is probably his best role. The same could be said for a few other stars. It is an absolute 5 star perfect film IMO. I've probably watched it 50 times, including seeing it in the theater when it came out. It's a flawless action suspense movie IMO.

Back