Best 6.7 Powerstroke Oil

No the things in this website is BS. I spend more time researching than you spend at work on a job. And I don’t research on bob is the oil guy bc it’s just ridiculous all the opinions. My 2004 F-350 I bought new manual says to use 15w40. Well after talking with technicians and online research 15w40 is one of the worst oils for the 6.0. I use 5w40 rotella T6 5w40 since new. The HEUI injectors operate a lot better on the thinner fuel synthetic oil and no sticion issues. Caterpillar designed this HEUI system and it was them who stated about the 15w40, but hey Ford said to use 15w40 in that engine. Bottom line is I have 250,000 miles on this truck and BTW not bulletproofed and all original EGR cooler and valve, plus turbo with 10-12,000 mile oil change intervals. I also love how these guys in here say you don’t have to let a turbo engine idle down anymore well boy that’s not true.

Sometimes it’s really difficult to discern whether people actually believe the nonsense they post or whether they’re just doing it to get attention.

It’s just so over the top and so completely wrong that it’s hard to tell. At first you think you’re having a rational and technical discussion but then it dawns on you that’s not what’s happening at all.
I’ll argue with you all day everyday, I got nothing but time. And if I don’t have the answer I’ll get the answer.

No the things in this website is BS. I spend more time researching than you spend at work on a job. And I don’t research on bob is the oil guy bc it’s just ridiculous all the opinions. My 2004 F-350 I bought new manual says to use 15w40. Well after talking with technicians and online research 15w40 is one of the worst oils for the 6.0. I use 5w40 rotella T6 5w40 since new. The HEUI injectors operate a lot better on the thinner fuel synthetic oil and no sticion issues. Caterpillar designed this HEUI system and it was them who stated about the 15w40, but hey Ford said to use 15w40 in that engine. Bottom line is I have 250,000 miles on this truck and BTW not bulletproofed and all original EGR cooler and valve, plus turbo with 10-12,000 mile oil change intervals. I also love how these guys in here say you don’t have to let a turbo engine idle down anymore well boy that’s not true.
Might I suggest you stop coming here if that is the case. Win-win for both.

This is an example of what you say confuses me. You seem to suggest that 5w40 is thinner than 15w40. Aren't they both 40 weight at 100c? At what temperature does the 5w40 flow better than the 15w40? At really low temps I would think pumpability would be a better metric than flow.

I have a new 6.7l. It came from the factory with 10w30. I decided to go with 5w40 as Ford recommends it for severe duty. I am using T6. 15w40 appears to be going the way of 10w40. I do still use it in my old Ford tractor and skid steer though. Retailers have been slow to change their inventory to suit the newer diesel motors. It seems 85% of HDEOs on the shelves are 15w40 with the remainder being 10w30 and 5w40. Here is a list of oils meeting Ford’s WSS-M2C171-F1. https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf. Still a majority of 15w40, but the number of thinner oils has continued to grow significantly.

Last edited:
Back