Best 5W40 motor oil for 99 Jeep 4 liter engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Carlostrece
I said T6 & Delo are winners based on price. i.e. - usually lower cost.
Why would you not consider Pennzoil? Please elaborate.

Pennzoil Euro 5W40 is a very much stouter oil ..... in relation to most other non-Euro PCMO 5W40 oils in NA markets.
However from the perspectives of components longevity and general performance capability in highly stressed and high temperature operating environments,I'm biased towards a dual rated HDEO CJ4/CI4/SN/SM 5W40 as the way to go ..... over and above an A3B4/SN/SM rated PCMO ...
I'd no facts and evidence to back up my 'belief' though.

In an almost 18 year old Jeep you're asking what 5w-40 is best? If a 40 wt is desired why not a 15w-40? Couldn't you use a 10w-30 as thats what I am going to assume its specced for.

Best means different things to different people, but between the affordable Supertech, the magical Maxlife and the rugged Redline you'll always find something to fit the application.

Any A3/B4 will be just fine, an A40 would be even better. Again, it depends on your budget and expected use patterns.

Last edited:
To the folks recommending 10w30, I had so much noise with mine it isn't even funny. Stepping it up to a 10w40 was much more quiet. Night and day difference. This was the same type of oil (Pennzoil conventional) and a Fram Extra Guard filter.

It's just sad because my local WM no longer carries PYB 10w40.. so I've resorted to A3/B4's xxw40's and HDEO 5w40's.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
To the folks recommending 10w30, I had so much noise with mine it isn't even funny. Stepping it up to a 10w40 was much more quiet. Night and day difference. This was the same type of oil (Pennzoil conventional) and a Fram Extra Guard filter.

It's just sad because my local WM no longer carries PYB 10w40.. so I've resorted to A3/B4's xxw40's and HDEO 5w40's.

As mine gets older it gets noisey on 40 grade oils.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

As mine gets older it gets noisey on 40 grade oils.

What filter do you normally run?

Originally Posted By: zeng
I said T6 & Delo are winners based on price. i.e. - usually lower cost.
Why would you not consider Pennzoil? Please elaborate.

Pennzoil Euro 5W40 is a very much stouter oil ..... in relation to most other non-Euro PCMO 5W40 oils in NA markets.
However from the perspectives of components longevity and general performance capability in highly stressed and high temperature operating environments,I'm biased towards a dual rated HDEO CJ4/CI4/SN/SM 5W40 as the way to go ..... over and above an A3B4/SN/SM rated PCMO ...
I'd no facts and evidence to back up my 'belief' though.

That's a traditional viewpoint, which in the past was definitely the way to go. Now with good 5W40 Euro oils being another seemingly good option, it's now unclear to me which is the better way to go.

Put me in the camp that says just about any oil would work fine in the 4.0L, xW30 or xW40. I've even grabbed a wrong bottle of 5W20 once + 1 quart 5W30 and didn't realize it until 5K miles later. That was more than 100K miles ago and the engine's still fine. My 99 GC's falling apart bit by bit but I think the engine will outlast every other component of the vehicle.

If it matters, my Jeep's 4L is performance enhanced like Lance Armstrong, but without the legal issues and shame. Haha

I assume both diesel/gas rated and Euro rated 5W40 are more than good enough for my Jeep 4L.

So whichever is widely available at most stores and is cheapest maybe the way to go since both are likely better than my Jeep needs. That's why I'm seriously considering Shell Rotella T6 5W40 and Chevron Delo 5W40. In my local area they are the cheapest 5W40 and are available at every auto store and Walmart.

I know Rotella is good for Jeep 4L because it's super popular at all Jeep forums with 4L engine users, and even more popular at Jeep stroker forums (where they hop up 4L engines into performance 4.6 or 4.7 strokers).

I like Penzoil Euro 5w40 just fine and I'm sure it's more than good enough. My engine runs noticeably quieter at all op temps and cold starts easier in cold weather than with any 10W30 conventional I ever tried. Also, 5w40 has the same good oil pressure at idle at full op temp as 10W30 conventional had. 10W30 synthetic had slightly lower oil pressure at idle at full op temp and more engine mechanical noises (valve train especially) so I won't 10W30 synthetic anymore.

I never tried 5W30.

I have used 0W40 Mobil One. My engine didn't like it. It blew a little blue smoke at startup (which it didn't do with any other oil) and after 3000 miles use on the oil it apparently lost some viscosity because my oil pressure became lower at idle at full op temp.

I've used Mobil One 5w40 (turbo diesel) and Penzoil Euro 5W40 and my Jeep 4L engine loves them both. However, those are expensive oils. Shell T6 Rotella 5W40 is 1/3 lower cost (in my local area) and Chevron Delo 5W40 is lower yet. Rotella and Delo are the lowest cost 5W40 available in my area, and both are good brands.

Sometimes Valvoline Synpower 5W40 is on sale cheap. I've never tried it. Is it a Euro oil? If so, how good is it?

Is there a Valvoline Maxlife 5w40? is there any brand of high mileage 5W40?

====

Below is more specific info about how I use my Jeep and change oil.

I use a Baldwin B2 filter (twice as long as normal filter, all other filter specs same as normal). The B2 filter holds 1 quart of oil. So my 4 liter engine + filter holds 6.5 quarts.

I want:

Lowest possible wear rates.

Good cold start protection.

Good protection at high op temps.

Good anti-foaming protection for when I run at or near 5500 rpm red-line passing cars going up mountain passes. No driver safety lectures please. It's one of my few pleasures in life and I'm 48 and have never caused a wreck.

My driving is a mix of level(ish) city and highway driving (when going N/S), and mountain highway driving (when going W/E).

I change my oil every 2 to 2.5 years (when it reaches 5000 miles).

===

I'm sure Penzoil Euro 5W40 is exceeding my needs, but a 5W40 by Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo, or Valvoline Synpower might also exceed my needs while costing much less.

Delo 5W40 is the cheapest 5W40 (in my local area anyway). How good is Delo 5W40 compared to Shell T6 Rotella 5W40? Are there any valid comparison tests/lab tests of the two that I could look at? How good is Valvoline Synpower 5W40? Those are the 3 oils I'm considering using because they are widely available (in my local) and much cheaper than Penzoil Euro.

However, I'll continue paying more for Penzoil Euro 5W40 if anyone can point out any benefit over those others.

===

P.S. - In hindsight, I should have typed this post for my OP.

This probably goes without saying, but I also want my engine to stay clean and the oil to not get sludgy or acidic.

I only change my oil every 2.5 years (which is 5000 miles). So I need an oil that is compatible with that.

The reason I like 5W40 so much is that it works well for cold starts in Winter and gives good oil pressure at full op temp year round.

I also sometimes get-on-it on a hot Summer day, or sand wheeling on a hot Summer day (which get engine up to 220F or sometimes 225F). So my oil needs to be able to stand up to hot operating conditions.

I want to use same oil year round (modern approach). I don't want to change oil for Winter vs Summer (obsolete, IMO).

I don't want to change oil every 3000 miles or once a year (obsolete, IMO). Euro rated oils don't need to be changed that often. Europeans run their oil longer.

I assume a good diesel/gas rated oil (like Rotella or Delo 5W40) doesn't need changing as often?

What about catalytic converter? Euro 5W40 is easy on my cat (as far as I know).

Would Rotella or Delo 5W40 be acceptable for my cat?

Is there a Valvoline Maxlife 5w40? is there any brand of high mileage 5W40?

They make a Valvoline Maxlife 5w40, but I don't think it's available in the US.

The only High Mileage A3/B4 available here that I can think of is Castrol Edge 10w40.

Mobil 1 HM 10w30 and 10w40 are A3/B3's as well.

Last edited:
I've narrowed it down to 2 oils. Chevron Delo 5W40 and Shell T6 Rotella 5W40 because those are widely available and low cost in my local area. Even Walmart carries them and darn cheap too.

I'm going to start a thread just asking about those 2 oils only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back