Best 5w40 for Twin Turbo Direct Injection V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by AirBull

I kind of highly doubt you actually know what 0W30 Castrol I have in mind.
And no, BMW did not move to LL01FE due to CARB.
Reminds me of an old Seinfield episode where Kramer asks "why don't you tell me what movie you'd like to see?" Haha. I'm referring to the current BMW 0w-30 I guess, which we believe to be a Shell/Pennzoil GTL product.

As far as LL-01FE, maybe not entirely California (CARB) but in large part the US CAFE standards, yes - that is exactly why BMW is moving to an oil spec with an acronym for "Fuel Economy!"

Castrol 0W30 is LL01 not LL01FE. It was for a long time favorite among Euro owners, and probably still is. A lot of people moved to Castrol 0W40 since chemistry is similar, but much cheaper. I amanaged to snatch on Amazon last week 0W30 for $38 for 6 pack when coupon is applied.
It is heavy W30, with HTHS of 3.58, and cst of 12.1 (which is basically borderline W40). It is PAO based, not Group III.
BMW moved to light oils primarily due to driving habits of majority of BMW buyers in the US where city driving, cold starts, short trips are emphasized. BMW has enough fuel efficient cars to meet CAFE, and EPA did not change mpg ratings once BMW moved to LL01FE, LL12, LL14. Per TSB (referring to N63) one of the big problems that BMW engineers found was excessive short trips, so they decided to tackle it with lighter oils.

This does not surprise me due to the fact that a large percentage of their sales are leases which by design have mileage restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back