Best 0w20 for Mazda 2.5 non turbo GDI

In a new Mazda CX-5 I would use M1 0W20 , Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 , Quaker State 0W20 or Valvoline 0W20 Advanced ... All are great synthetics with lower NOACK and lower VII's for less possible intake valve deposits in a GDI engine. Use a top tier gas and a bottle of Techron just before every oil change . Every 15,000 miles I would buy a can of CRC Intake Valve Cleaner spray and go in through the throttle body for intake valve cleaning as Techron does little for GDI intake valve cleaning.. This is my protocol with a GDI engine.

In the past, Mazda sort of pushed oils that had higher moly content. Their own oil has one of the higher moly contents available. I stuck with this (figuring that it can't hurt) by using QS synthetic or Valvoline adv. syn. both of which, tend to have higher moly content. It's nice to hear from an earlier comment that these oils tend to be good for possibly mitigating GDI "potential" sludge issues as well. I like the QS when I can find it to to price.

In the past, Mazda sort of pushed oils that had higher moly content. Their own oil has one of the higher moly contents available. I stuck with this (figuring that it can't hurt) by using QS synthetic or Valvoline adv. syn. both of which, tend to have higher moly content. It's nice to hear from an earlier comment that these oils tend to be good for possibly mitigating GDI "potential" sludge issues as well. I like the QS when I can find it to to price.
Most Japanese oils appear to use lots of dinuclear moly and lots of VII in a thin base oil. It helps in MPG. TGMO 0w-20 is an example.

8027E7FC-E530-4586-8BDA-50DCCE0B556E.jpeg

Ours is doing fine on Valvoline EP.

I was thinking the same. Plus 5w30 has lower Noack usually. I just bought some 0w20 Castrol edge for my first oil change but I might bump it to a 0w30 or 5w30 for the next one.
I would return that and get QSFS 5W30. I run the 10W30 in the Mazda/Ford 2 liter DI in my EcoSport as it's a cleaner, stronger oil. Big 4 cyl tend to need a heavier oil. Those are 5 liter V8 sized pistons

I Ran Edge black bottle earlier this year and it was a disaster.

enjoy the new car !

I brought back a case for @The Critic. Maybe he'll have something to say about the oil once he uses it. I'm guessing it's not in any of his engines just yet.
It is now:

I have ran several different oils in my daughters CX-30 (which has the same 2.5 engine). PP, QSFS, Idemitsu and one OC from Meineke when she was far from home (they claimed to use Citgo synthetic when I asked). The engine ran well on all of them. I also have used Fram and ST filters without issue (I don't think OE filters are needed).. I also feel that changing monthly @5K is overkill...I'd go 7K with that kind of use.

I base these opinions on the fact that my s-i-l has over 190K on her 2015 CX-5 and it's never seen a factory filter or a 5K OCI....it still runs great and looks clean through the oil cap. I'm sure it's gone 10K a few times with 7 or 8K being the norm.

I plan on 6K/6 month changes on the CX-30 based on what I've seen. I also have no problem running 5w20 full synthetic in the warmer months. It has QSFS 5w20 in it right now because I had it on hand. It will get 0w20 PP in late November because I also have it on hand.

Last edited:
Well when I say best or better I mean in terms of a GDI engine and some of the potential Carbon issues they may develop. I was curious to see if there was a particular brand that worked good in alleviating some of those issues for this particular engine. I know there is more to that issue then just oil and much of IVD happens because of the design I just wasn’t sure if some are better then others in that area.
Specs such as low ash , low VII's and low NOACK are key to helping a GDI engine avoid carbon (intake valve) issues . A member here once posted an excel spread sheet and the best 0W20 oils with the best above specs were : Valvoline Advanced 0W20 , Quaker State Full Synthetic 0W20 , Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 and Mobil 1 0W20 (the Castrol 0W20 oils did not have as good of test results in these areas). *All of the synthetic 0W20 oils deemed best for GDI engines I mentioned above as well as being available at best prices can be found at WM . All of these oils also offer great protection , cleaning and all have the most recent GM D1 / Gen 3 ratings - choose any of the above on rollback at WM and be perfectly confident in your choice.

Well when I say best or better I mean in terms of a GDI engine and some of the potential Carbon issues they may develop. I was curious to see if there was a particular brand that worked good in alleviating some of those issues for this particular engine. I know there is more to that issue then just oil and much of IVD happens because of the design I just wasn’t sure if some are better then others in that area.
That is what the SP fixed, basically splitting the detergent between Calcium and Magnesium. In theory that should not be happening any more.

My CX-5 Signature has the turbo version of that engine. Two years old now. My wife wanted the 6 year maintenance package, so every 6 months the dealer puts in the 5W-30 Mazda synthetic and rotates the tires.

Having thought about it calmly, while I used to keep cars forever, With the electronic advances, increased road dangers, and our getting older, I will probably be switching sooner than the 6 years we paid for.

Good morning everyone. I just purchased a New Mazda CX-5 and this is the first GDI engine I’ve owned. It’s a 2.5 non turbo model.
It calls for 0w20. I plan on doing OCI every 5000 miles. Is there any consensus on what is the better oil to go with for my application?
The majority of the miles on this vehicle will be highway miles. Thanks in advance.
Try Castrol GTX Full Synthetic 0W-20. I'm running this for the first time and I do notice just how smooth my car feels at cruising speed. I never noticed any difference before with a variety of Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, Mobil 1. I'm sold on this product.

Good morning everyone. I just purchased a New Mazda CX-5 and this is the first GDI engine I’ve owned. It’s a 2.5 non turbo model.
It calls for 0w20. I plan on doing OCI every 5000 miles. Is there any consensus on what is the better oil to go with for my application?
The majority of the miles on this vehicle will be highway miles. Thanks in advance.
My experience follows:
I have a 2018 Mazda 6 Touring with the 2.5L Skyactive engine.

When I bought the car, it came with free oil changes.

I chose to follow 5000 mile oil and filter changes.

The dealer was using Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 for the first 30 months or so. Then they switched to Mazda 0W20.

About 2500 miles into the Pennzoil Platinum oil changes, I would always notice a slight uptick in fuel economy. I do not see this uptick in fuel economy with the Mazda oil.

IMO, the engine runs more smoothly and quieter with Mazda oil.

I also do the induction cleaning every 15000 miles.

If/when the free oil changes stops, I will lean to the oils with higher moly content.

Of course YMMV.

My 17 2.5L Mazda 6 recommends Mazda 0w20 or Castrol for best results

…it’s got “Truck and SUV” oil in it now, and has since I got it and first changed it. No issues, and I can burn through my 7.99$ Jugs of M1 from tractor supply a few years back. When that runs out it’ll be whatever 0w20 I can find.

Actually, To be honest I’ll probably switch it to 5w30 (spec outside of the US) or 5w40 so I can keep the same between it and the Camaro

Since you’re under warranty, and Mazda does have a dealio (or did) with Castrol, GTX FS Would be my choice

Back