Best 0w20 for Mazda 2.5 non turbo GDI

The owners manual is pretty non specific with any sort of min spec. Actually they appear to run 5w30 in this same engine in other countries vs the 0w20 they want for here. I’m guessing for fuel economy? The turbo version says if you can’t find any 5w30 10w30 is fine even. I sort of laughed at the way it was written when I saw it 😂. I’m gonna run Castrol edge for this first oil change at least as it seems to be in stock at every parts store I’ve been in plus Amazon.
The 0W-20/16 recommendation for the Japanese make is for CAFE and honestly many will be just fine with that recommendation, though the OE Idemitsu/Eneos oils will be “superior”. The thicker oil suggestion is for the US/Australian market which involve longer, faster roads and more towing/off-road use.

Most, if not all Japanese cars ship with 0W-20/16. Castrol Edge is a fine choice. If money ain’t a thing, HPL or Red Line would be my picks.

Good morning everyone. I just purchased a New Mazda CX-5 and this is the first GDI engine I’ve owned. It’s a 2.5 non turbo model.
It calls for 0w20. I plan on doing OCI every 5000 miles. Is there any consensus on what is the better oil to go with for my application?
The majority of the miles on this vehicle will be highway miles. Thanks in advance.

I have the 21 Grand Touring Reserve model with the turbo motor so that calls for 5W30. I use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30. If I had the non turbo version I'd probably still use Mobil 1 0W20 but I'm guessing any major brand with the right specs would run fine mobil, castrol, valvoline etc...

I know this is bitog and everyone wants to do it yourself but....when I bought my CX-5 I bought a $380 service package that includes 10 oil and filter changes with tire rotation. Since Mazda requires 5000 mile or 6 month oil changes that covers all oil changes until the power train warranty expires. Another consideration was that the car had to be lifted to access the oil filter, back side of the engine. All my other cars can be done just reaching under. For me do it myself just wasn't worth it.

I bought a pair of Rhino Ramps https://www.autozone.com/engine-and...lotool-12-000lb-capacity-rhino-ramp/89618_0_0
All ya need then is an 8mm and flat head screwdriver to take plastic shield off, then a 17mm wrench for oil plug and a small oil filter wrench. Compared to my Mercedes I traded in this CX-5 while using the ramps is a very easy oil change. Not a bad price on the 10 pack ya bought though but if ya ever wanna do it yourself the ramps are great and lightweight so very portable as I do my oil changes at work.

I run Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 in my 22 Carbon Edition 2.5 non turbo. I change mine once a month (5k a month pretty much) and have changed it 5 times since I bought it back a few months ago. I get the filters in bulk from Amazon (6 pack of Mazda filters from an online dealer sells there) and just buy the oil at the local Oreillys or Walmart.

I bought ramps because no way I could figure out where to place a floor jack. I think you need a four point lift. Whatever 0W-20 is fine with me but always a Mazda filter, not the Value line. They about $8.25 at the Mazda dealer last time I bought them. I did Zepro couple times until the $$$ got nuts. Now discontinued. Currently Schaeffer’s because I got a deal. I probably go to Mobil 1 or Valvoline next. I doesn’t drive any different no matter what. I change twice a year even though annual mileage only about 4500. All short trips except when I drive.

I bought ramps because no way I could figure out where to place a floor jack. I think you need a four point lift. Whatever 0W-20 is fine with me but always a Mazda filter, not the Value line. They about $8.25 at the Mazda dealer last time I bought them. I did Zepro couple times until the $$$ got nuts. Now discontinued. Currently Schaeffer’s because I got a deal. I probably go to Mobil 1 or Valvoline next. I doesn’t drive any different no matter what. I change twice a year even though annual mileage only about 4500. All short trips except when I drive.
You can do better than that on eBay $4 and change shipped for a 6 packed. They are made in Mexico but are OEM!

I have a 3.5L V6 GDI (non-turbo) on my Highlander. I've used SuperTech Advanced 0W-20 for the previous two oil changes, but just switched to Havoline Lifelong Pro DS 0W-20 on my most recent oil change. At present it comes in 6qt box-jugs for $22.97 from Walmart.com. That's about $3.83/qt. Good deal. I always use OE oil filters and air filters.

Last edited:
You can do better than that on eBay $4 and change shipped for a 6 packed. They are made in Mexico but are OEM!
The filters at the dealer are made in Thailand by Roki. You can see the filter element from the top. What comes from Mexico is a different filter. It says Mazda on it but not the same filter. That’s the value line, different part number. I like a deal on oil but I prefer the dealer filter. I’d buy Mazda oil from the dealer if it wasn’t over $10/quart.

I run Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 in my 22 Carbon Edition 2.5 non turbo. I change mine once a month (5k a month pretty much) and have changed it 5 times since I bought it back a few months ago. I get the filters in bulk from Amazon (6 pack of Mazda filters from an online dealer sells there) and just buy the oil at the local Oreillys or Walmart.
Carbon Edition with a GDI motor? Is that like a tire store having a blowout sale? Sorry, couldn’t help myself. I’m sure it’s pretty.

Back