Benson windshields at Safelite? Recent experience?

Need new glass in my Chevy SS and Safelite used to put in Fuyao glass with good reviews.
My windshield quote is $523 installed (good) but “Benson glass“ and I can’t find much experience other than a question 3 months ago.

The company is Chinese outfit and ALL of their glass is exported for aftermarket use.

So-Safelight installed a new windshield on my 2018 Silverado about a month ago. They also had to reprogram the camera for the safety features as well. I paid a $100.00/glass deductible for my insurance. I think the windshield was a tad more than your quote-plus the work to program the camera. I have no idea who made the glass-but it's the best quality windshield I have ever had installed on any vehicle I have owned. I was in outside sales and drove 30 to 40 thousand miles a year-so I have had a few windshields replaced.

So-Safelight installed a new windshield on my 2018 Silverado about a month ago. They also had to reprogram the camera for the safety features as well. I paid a $100.00/glass deductible for my insurance. I think the windshield was a tad more than your quote-plus the work to program the camera. I have no idea who made the glass-but it's the best quality windshield I have ever had installed on any vehicle I have owned. I was in outside sales and drove 30 to 40 thousand miles a year-so I have had a few windshields replaced.
Name of maker should be in lower left corner (facing the outside of the glass)

Need new glass in my Chevy SS and Safelite used to put in Fuyao glass with good reviews.
My windshield quote is $523 installed (good) but “Benson glass“ and I can’t find much experience other than a question 3 months ago.
My wholesale cost on the Fuyao glass alone would be $525.

I would think that Safelight is getting really good prices based on quantity. After finding my invoice -My Windshield for the Silverado was actually $404.63 installed plus $250.00 for recalibration. I only paid a $100/deductible.

Last edited:
The OEM glass from GM runs $500-600 wholesale regardless of mfg, and retails at glass shops for $900. My problem is being Very rural… I can go to a local shop (200 miles) for OEM glass ($1450 installed and programmed) or visit my Daughter (600 miles) and let Safelite do it for $523. They want another $323 for reprograming.
Very sure a GM dealer can beat that programing price.

Benson’s one of the lower-tier Chinese glasses. I’d avoid them or XYG/Chinese-made PGW.

Sure Safelite can’t get you a FYG or Pilkington?

Benson’s one of the lower-tier Chinese glasses. I’d avoid them or XYG/Chinese-made PGW.

Sure Safelite can’t get you a FYG or Pilkington?
I have no idea..they are hours drive away and you can’t contact them by phone or email. You just make appointments.
No plinkington glass for my car that I am aware of.
EDIT: I did find a way to contact Safelite…they can get OEM glass.
I cancelled Benson glass appointment…will work on Safelite or other shop with OEM.

Last edited:
I found a shop in Albuquerque (200 miles away) that says they can can get OEM glass ($900, glass only) and install. I can’t really beat that buying the glass myself for $500-600 and paying truck freight to the boondocks.
Will report back next month with result of saga.

Will be interesting to see if your $100 deductible payoff will trigger a premium hike at renewal since you put in a claim.

My independent agent says pay cash for all glass unless its a super high end piece of glass, as they will get the money back and more in rate hikes.

Will be interesting to see if your $100 deductible payoff will trigger a premium hike at renewal since you put in a claim.

My independent agent says pay cash for all glass unless its a super high end piece of glass, as they will get the money back and more in rate hikes.
I have a $1000 deductible for glass….this has saved me money on my insurance for decades. I have banked plenty of money to buy my windshield by now. Insurance is like Vegas: The house always wins because someone has already paid and beyond for those jackpots.

Yep and I wonder why Safelite has switched to Benson who is an OEM supplier to no one. Giving me some pause….

Maybe supply chain issues? When I had our non-lane camera cruise assist Subaru windshield replaced, I called a few dealers to ask if they did glass or contracted it out. Then I called the places they contacted out to (one dealer had its own body shop and wanted a lot for OEM glass). For about $250 I had a new windshield a couple years ago. I was ecstatic. The place said if it had cameras it would double to quadruple the price because you need the best glass and then calibrate the system. Don't know how true it is, but thankful it doesn't have those cameras!!!

Back