Belt In Oil (BIO) and Oil Spec

It’s not the viscosity that concerns me, just that maybe there’s something in the oil that could degrade the belt. The Ford spec includes a test for the belt AFAIK
Ah. I didn’t know that.

Is there a specified replacement interval for this oil pump belt, or do you just run it until it kills your engine?

Can you replace it just by removing the oil pan or does it need a lot more effort?

Is there a specified replacement interval for this oil pump belt, or do you just run it until it kills your engine?

Can you replace it just by removing the oil pan or does it need a lot more effort?
There’s no replacement interval, but other Fords with wet timing belts say to change everything at 10 years or 240,000km, so that’s when I’d change the oil pump belt at a maximum. The belt looks like it’s easy to change just by removing the sump, according to the workshop manual

OP, my 2021 V8 Ford 5.0 (F150) also has a wet, belt-driven oil pump (cams are very long chains lol). It specifies WSS-M2C961-A1 5W-30. This is the first year using a belt rather than chain. I'm sticking with only oils that meet the Ford spec. My guess is it's also fine for your vehicle.
This is the info I wanted! Thank you so much!

I’m 100% going to run a WSS-5W-30 M2C-961-A1 in the Fiesta ST then. I see zero downsides apart from a negligible increase in fuel use

Both the 1.0L and 1.5L EcoBoost engines use a bathed in oil timing belt.
The 1.0L has a history of problems with little bits of rubber clogging the oil pump sump strainer eventually leading to oil starvation.
Not sure if the 1.5L suffers the same fate.

I to was curious what a high mileage oil that is designed to expand and soften seals do to the rubber of a timing belt.

For me, I'd go the other way. I'd be using a 0W-20 to maximize cold flow to engine parts, to the timing belt. Keep that oil as thin as possible at a cold start up to get through oil sump for longevity.

I have an Ecosport with 1.0L nearing 100kmi, 97,000+ now. So far, so good. No concerning problems I'm aware of.

Last edited:

It's a major undertaking. Remove oil pan, remove fuel injectors, high pressure fuel pump, coil packs remove belts and hoses remove valve covers. Use special tool lock the camshafts.
Remove accessory belt, remove crank pulley, remove tensioner, remove engine front cover.

I'm sure I missed a few. Just rattling some items off I'm aware of.

I think Ford service guide estimates 2 days or 16hrs for a timing belt replacement. $$$$'s spent.

Yes you can definitely use a 30 grade. I'd actually use an SP rated 40 grade euro oil for extra protection of the turbo bearings without any lspi concerns. 5w-20 is purely for fuel economy.

The 1.0L has a history of problems with little bits of rubber clogging the oil pump sump strainer eventually leading to oil starvation.

I to was curious what a high mileage oil that is designed to expand and soften seals do to the rubber of a timing belt.

For me, I'd go the other way. I'd be using a 0W-20 to maximize cold flow to engine parts, to the timing belt. Keep that oil as thin as possible at a cold start up to get through oil sump for longevity.

I have an Ecosport with 1.0L nearing 100kmi, 97,000+ now. So far, so good. No concerning problems I'm aware of.
No, as previously discussed, the 1.0L has a wet timing belt, and so does the 1.5L non-turbo 3cyl Dragon. But the 1.5L EcoBoost 3cyl Dragon has a timing chain with a wet-belt-driven oil pump

It's a major undertaking. Remove oil pan, remove fuel injectors, high pressure fuel pump, coil packs remove belts and hoses remove valve covers. Use special tool lock the camshafts.
Remove accessory belt, remove crank pulley, remove tensioner, remove engine front cover.

I'm sure I missed a few. Just rattling some items off I'm aware of.

I think Ford service guide estimates 2 days or 16hrs for a timing belt replacement. $$$$'s spent.
Again, the 1.5L EcoBoost Dragon does not have a wet timing belt. It has a timing chain.

Replacing the oil pump belt only requires the removal of the sump and the oil pump. That’s it.

I have 103,000 on my 2020 escape with the 1.5l 3 cyl with wet belt. So far so good here to . Fingers crossed.

You might want to look at having it changed.
I try but some dealers say i dont need to replace it and some say its a chain....im so confused as everything i see says the us 1.5l dragon ecoboost uses a wet timing belt and my manual say to change at 150,000 miles. This whole thing baffles me as I really like this car and want to maintain it but seems i cant!? I habe warranty until 125,000 miles after that I just wont feel comfortable driving this anymore. If anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate it as I have exhausted all my resources. Thanks everyone😊

I try but some dealers say i dont need to replace it and some say its a chain....im so confused as everything i see says the us 1.5l dragon ecoboost uses a wet timing belt and my manual say to change at 150,000 miles. This whole thing baffles me as I really like this car and want to maintain it but seems i cant!? I habe warranty until 125,000 miles after that I just wont feel comfortable driving this anymore. If anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate it as I have exhausted all my resources. Thanks everyone😊
It’s darned sure confusing. I may have to go down to my Ford Dealer and take a look. The obvious difference will be in the timing cover. A belt driven cam will be identified from the top width of the timing cover. The belt driven cam will have a slightly wider timing cover.

The turbo 1.5 3cyl 100% has a timing chain. I’ve owned three cars with the Dragon EcoBoost and I’m a mechanic. It has a chain!

The non-turbo 1.5 3cyl has a wet belt

The turbo 1.0 3cyl also has a wet belt

Have a look here. Good photos of the timing drive etc: Dragon Timing Tools

Last edited:
Just to chime in I have the 1.5l dragon ecoboost in my 2022 escape. I use it for courier work and change oil every 5,000 miles with motorcraft 5w20 blend. Its got 105,000 miles.
Same engine as in my '21 Escape.
I'm also enjoying the 34 MPG.

What does your OLM show for the % ?
Mine currently has 2,600 (on oil) miles with 36% left.
My odometer reads 7,600 miles (total) after doing a couple early oil changes.
Now I will be relying more on the OLM.

Edit: 2022 with 105,000 miles ? .... ? .... ?

Its

Its a 2021 now at 117,000 use it for courier work. I change it a dealer every 5,000 miles. So far been great

Back