Belt In Oil (BIO) and Oil Spec

Hello!
How important is oil spec in regards to a belt-in-oil driven oil pump as in the Ford 1.5L 3cyl ‘Dragon’ EcoBoost?

This engine has a timing chain, but a belt-driven oil pump. The oil pump belt runs in the oil in the sump.

Ford calls for a 5W-20 WSS-M2C960-A1 but I’d love to run a 5W-30 for longevity. My one and only concern about running a 5W-30 is damaging this belt and causing engine damage.

Are there any 5W-30s around which won’t damage a wet belt?

Thanks for your help

The 1.5 L Dragon engine has an oil bath timing belt.
The non-turbo Dragon has a wet timing belt; the turbo Dragon has a timing chain. Both have wet oil pump belts (except some early versions which had a gear driven oil pump)

Not sure how 5w30 would ruin a belt when 5w20 wont. Some 5w20 are so close to a 5w30 weight and Vice verse.
It’s not the viscosity that concerns me, just that maybe there’s something in the oil that could degrade the belt. The Ford spec includes a test for the belt AFAIK

The non-turbo Dragon has a wet timing belt; the turbo Dragon has a timing chain. Both have wet oil pump belts (except some early versions which had a gear driven oil pump)
That’s news to me. Everything that Ive seen says oil bath timing belts for 1.5 Dragon engines. How many versions of this engine is there? Are you in Europe?

Last edited:
That’s news to me. Everything that Ive seen says oil bath timing belts for 1.5 Dragon engines. How many versions of this engine is there?
IMG_2122.jpg
IMG_2123.jpg

From the workshop manual…

But yeah non-turbo Dragons have wet belts; turbo Dragons have timing chain + wet oil pump belt (except very early versions which had gear driven oil pumps)

That’s news to me. Everything that Ive seen says oil bath timing belts for 1.5 Dragon engines. How many versions of this engine is there?
I wouldn't think they would make a major change like that just to add a turbo. Especially not Ford

Also my engine is the latest variant, and it’s up to ‘Derivative 12’… so, there’s lots of versions of the 1.5 Dragon EcoBoost

I wouldn't think they would make a major change like that just to add a turbo. Especially not Ford
Well it’s not “just a turbo”, it’s also dual injection, an exhaust cam-driven HPFP, cylinder deactivation etc.

Lots of differences between the non-turbo and turbo Dragon

I’m thinking it could be a UK or EU thing. The Focus, Focus ST, Fiesta, and Fiesta ST are no longer offered in the U.S.
But the Escape and Bronco Sport are still offered in North America, and they have the 1.5L Dragon EcoBoost! The engine in my (German-built) Fiesta ST is made in Chihuahua, Mexico

Here are some more diagrams of the timing chain and belt-driven oil pump situation:

IMG_2125.jpeg
IMG_2126.jpeg

Peugeot/Citroen/Vauxhall 1.2 petrol engines in Europe are having big problems with 'wet' belt degradation blocking oil pickup filters.
Was initially put down to faulty belts but they have changed them a few times and still having issues.

OP, my 2021 V8 Ford 5.0 (F150) also has a wet, belt-driven oil pump (cams are very long chains lol). It specifies WSS-M2C961-A1 5W-30. This is the first year using a belt rather than chain. I'm sticking with only oils that meet the Ford spec. My guess is it's also fine for your vehicle.

I fully realize that commenting on an engineering feature the moment you're exposed to it is foolish but I gotta say, a belt run through oil to drive an oil pump strikes me as the stupidist thing I've ever seen.

Something as vital as an engine's oil pump being driven by self-propelled lawn mower parts baffles me.

Just to chime in i habe the 1.5l dragon ecoboost in my 2022 escape. I use it for courier work and change oil every 5,000 miles with motorcraft 5w20 blend. Its got 105,000 miles. Just changed plugs and runs beautifully. 34mpg avg. Highway. Hope it runs a while this wet bet stuff has me nervous? No dealer seems to know what im taking about when i ask about maintaining this said wet belt.

Back