being a dealer tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shop I am currently working at is an independent shop but used to be a ford dealer. Well the writing is on the wall they'll be closing soon how soon I don't know but it is going to happen. The dealer I bought my car from is hiring and I spoke to the service manager tonight he said I would be a good fit and he really likes me and will call me before middle of next week. He is definitely a straight shooting honest guy. The job guarantees 32 hours a week . Its flat rate though so I can get more. The dealer Is definitely doing well. What are Some things to consider when working at a dealer?

Skilled, competent, trustworthy and ambitious technicians will always be in demand and able to earn a decent living based on those remunerable traits.

I suspect long term career growth is in well run and profitable independent shops with an eye toward eventual partial or full ownership.

Keep your chin up and good luck!

I'm surprised that any Ford store would have willingly given up their franchise. ram man what happened that caused your current store to lose their Ford franchise?

How do the Saturdays work? Do you have room to grow? Will they send you to brand specific technical training? Those are a few questions to think about and ask the SM.

Talk to the shop foreman a little bit to see if he's friendly or not. Some places you get into, when a new guy comes in everyone feels threatened and will try to starve you. Around here that is anyway. If they're promising 32 hours a week that is a great start, but I would see if it is 32 hours hourly then once you surpass you make commission/ go into flat rate. Or if they are promising 32 hours flat rate. Sometimes there is a difference between promising work, and actually having the work to make money. Just some insight. Keep your head up bud, and only work for what you feel your worth!

Dealers are funny i know a few techs that say they are forced to sell sell sell or the owner would put a good word in for you at the local burger joint.
I know of 1 dealer service dept that is pretty honest the rest are all the same. I deal with most of them because sometimes you need oem. Beware get it in writing. Sorry to be such a downer but i have been in the engine business a long long time and i meet them all. Of course most of the ones i deal with are in new jersey P.A. and N.Y. so maybe that has something to do with it.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I'm surprised that any Ford store would have willingly given up their franchise. ram man what happened that caused your current store to lose their Ford franchise?

Ford, like GM and Chrysler revoked a fair amount of franchises during the 2008 financial mess. I know of one around here that was decent that closed up.

Does this dealer make everybody work on Saturdays? If you hate (or don't hate) Saturday work, this might be a big concern.
Is the service manager a pleasant guy? Just remember that the service manager can make or break you.

I would work some saturdays. And the service manager is very nice. The reason my current employer lost their dealership was bcause ford wanted them to build a new building and they didn't want to apparently.

Despite my negative post on dealerships there are some that are really decent and you can make a lot of money.
You have to be good, these guys are there to make a living just like you are and are competing for the same gravy.
Expect to be there a year and take all the shi. and non gravy work. When you finally get in the click you can get the big hours and $$$.

My best advice to you is don't brown nose the service manager or the top mechanic in the place looking for advice.. Be friendly and treat them right but no arse kissing.
Don't borrow any tools on a regular basis and don't go after all the gravy, go after the tough stuff at first for a while, you need some cred in the place.

Flat Rate, run!

My local Dodge store is not flat rate, always busy, free loaners, well equiped, no upsell [censored]! Tech are happy, get sent to training, know two guys well in there, they just went to Diesel Classes on the VM and Cummins.

Of course this family owned and on smaller side but has great service!

Originally Posted By: Trav
Despite my negative post on dealerships there are some that are really decent and you can make a lot of money.
You have to be good, these guys are there to make a living just like you are and are competing for the same gravy.
Expect to be there a year and take all the shi. and non gravy work. When you finally get in the click you can get the big hours and $$$.

My best advice to you is don't brown nose the service manager or the top mechanic in the place looking for advice.. Be friendly and treat them right but no arse kissing.
Don't borrow any tools on a regular basis and don't go after all the gravy, go after the tough stuff at first for a while, you need some cred in the place.

Thank you for the advice. I do barrow tools where I work at now not all the time but more than I would like. They're decent about it and understand. I always try to buy things I borrow frequently. Flat rate kinda worries me but the service manager is a great guy who said he wants people to enjoy their job and he will coach and help and also give the techs jobs they want to do. It'll be a big change from the broke shop equipment and the half arsing my current employer expects us to do.

As long as you can keep your cool and don't immediately threaten bodily harm to somebody else every time you get upset, you will do great.

If nothing else comes out of this, at least your Focus would be well taken care of :)

As much as I hate saying this, if you want to be the tech getting all the work and easy money, you have to be the person that everyone here thinks of when they think of a "stealership." The techs that find the most work to be upsold are the management darlings.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Any idea what is the hourly pay of a flat rate tech ?

Wayyyyy back when in the 80's I made nearly 60k and worked 45-50 hours a week at a local Oldsmobile dealership. BD is right, they really like upsells and add ons. I got out because of the lack of workmanship and pride in the shop.

There's good money if you hustle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back