boss gives you 30 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
you should always be prepared when walking into a resignation for the "what can I do to change your mind?" question
and know what the answer for you is.

As someone switching jobs, you should have considered why you are changing jobs, what you feel you are worth and what the valuation of your new job is. So you should be ready for the counter offer and know your own number.

You should be prepared to say, give me a $10 raise and I'll stay, or i'm leaving no matter what. Saying you needed to think about it does show unprepardness.

The fact that it comes as an ultimatum though is a different factor, and that could adjust your decision internally from $10 to leaving no matter what.

But someone walking in to resign, you should have ALWAYS be prepared and know your numbers or demands that would change your mind.
So, if you asked for the extra time because you weren't sure of your number, in my opinion that is an error.

Anyway a lot of the time your decision is the same, so just like in baseball it makes no difference in the outcome, but it's still an error and you're forced into the default choice rather then actively deciding on a question.

Last edited:
Go to the dealer!

My dad works for a Toyota/GM dealer in the body shop and is quite happy, they're very undertstanding when he takes time off for being ill too.

Your boss won't look at you the same again and at the soonest chance will replace you once he gets an application in the door. Money can't buy happiness, and with the way he treated you with your injury you really need to move to the dealer. What happens when the shop goes belly up? You're out of a job and probably won't be able to get the job at the dealer again. Why are you even thinking about this?

This is a no brainer, forget about that raise offer and move onto the dealership job. It's a better opportunity further on down the road.

Your bosses comment about young guys being stupid would have prompted me take a two week vacation, after all I'd want to be well rested before I start a new job.

I'm a former ASE Master Tech, and former business owner. So I appreciate your situation from both perspectives.

If you were willing to make a move for no extra compensation, there's a reason for that. Likely you aren't happy where you are, and the fact that your current job will apparently be gone in two years anyway, even in a best-case scenario, makes the decision fairly easy.

As it stands, you've given a two-week notice that if nothing else will garner some respect from the company you are leaving. But if you do stay, you'll likely be on the short list of people to cut when/if it becomes necessary.

I would decline their offer, do the best job you can for your remaining two weeks, and then leave on the most positive note you possibly can.

As already mentioned; burning bridges has a way of catching up with people later on, when they never foresaw an issue while they were in the process of burning that bridge.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Once you have notified an employer that you have accepted an offer at a new job, Never, Never, accept a counter offer.

Totally right. An offer has been accepted from the dealership, aside from a major surprise life-changing event, follow through with the offer from the dealership. Not only is it unprofessional not to follow through with an acceptance, it will taint you at both locations.

This sounds too familiar! It's the pay raise that the employee never gets(only promised). If you stay at your current job, you'll be looking in each paycheck for that raise for several pay periods and may never see it without a struggle. And then, you'll have lost out on the newer job offer till the next round.

Take the new job at the dealership and don't look back!
Thank your company for the opportunity of working there and leave without burning any bridges & a smile.
Say goodbye & shake hands with those you liked.

Best of Luck,

CB

Last edited:
You sound like someone who may be ready to have their own shop . Your young, talented, and...........

enjoy.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It's just a tactic to screw you over. He's guaranteeing a full workforce for as long as he needs, and you're replaceable. So as soon as he gets his replacement, on his schedule and his terms, you'll get your 30 min notice and be gone.

You know going in that dealer work starting out is really tough. You're earning your keep and proving yourself, while building factory training and taking as many classes and specializing as much as you can. Won't be fun or pretty. But in the end you'll be worth your while.

I'd not look at the lost $3.50 as truly a long term major reduction in take home. You were a goner as soon as they could. I'd look at it as you'd need to pay $7k if not a lot more to get sufficient training to what you'll (hopefully, be proactive about it) get for "free" (lower salary or equal salary I guess) at the dealer.

I agree. But in the world of car mechanics, its a meat grinder type of career where there is lots of turn over and cost cutting hurting the techs. I would look for another career field to work in.

It's up to your boss to monitor your abilities and experience and give you better pay/ hours/ more interesting work as you're able, so that he can stay a competitive boss.

He fell behind. Nuts to him.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
you should always be prepared when walking into a resignation for the "what can I do to change your mind?" question
and know what the answer for you is.

As someone switching jobs, you should have considered why you are changing jobs, what you feel you are worth and what the valuation of your new job is. So you should be ready for the counter offer and know your own number.

You should be prepared to say, give me a $10 raise and I'll stay, or i'm leaving no matter what. Saying you needed to think about it does show unprepardness.

The fact that it comes as an ultimatum though is a different factor, and that could adjust your decision internally from $10 to leaving no matter what.

But someone walking in to resign, you should have ALWAYS be prepared and know your numbers or demands that would change your mind.
So, if you asked for the extra time because you weren't sure of your number, in my opinion that is an error.

Anyway a lot of the time your decision is the same, so just like in baseball it makes no difference in the outcome, but it's still an error and you're forced into the default choice rather then actively deciding on a question.

To be honest It never crossed my mind. This is my first professional job. I never thought he would offer a raise.. I definitely have learned from this experience though. On the job training is definitely the best in these situations

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Well I told him I would need a day to think about his offer and he said I had 30 seconds when the time was up he demanded a decision and I said I simply cannot make one that quickly and he said OK then I'll accept that as your resignation and that it's OK "a lot of young guys make dumb sh**s decisionso like me.

This would have been the perfect time for you to say "thank you for confirming that the decision to leave this establishment was the correct decision". Then grab all of your tools and be working in the dealership the next day.

yea,

The way to think about it is before you you made a job change and accept your new job or quit your old job, you went through some thoughts.

Hopefully your thought included thinking over Why do you want to leave? What are the pros/cons of the new job. What are the pros/cons of the old job.

So if you did that analysis right and come to the conclusion the new job is better, you also know exactly the reasons why the new job is better and why your current job sucks.
And the most important part, what could change the suckiness.

Perhaps your reasons are not money related and you are going to leave no matter what. But if it only is about money and is a straight number, you should have already considered that during your decision and know your number.

How you want to respond though and reveal your cards is an altogether different story, but you should know your numbers internally before you walk in the door.

Anyway, sounds like the decision to leave is the better one and would've been the same regardless, so no harm no foul, but hope this helps for the future

Last edited:
Or just a thought......take the raise to increase your pay for that next job......if the dealer job is available frequently and you are sure that this raise will actually go through.....stay....get your raise and then reapply to dealer....like I said I do not know how plentiful this job is in your market. Ask to see the paper work being done first. I agree with Char.....I have been through something kind of similar before.

Every job I got a counter offer and stayed I ended up leaving.

I typically don't leave because of pay, more often other factors.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Every job I got a counter offer and stayed I ended up leaving.

Same here - well last time I shared that I wanted to look elsewhere and was offered a raise, I accepted but still left
Others have detailed good reasons to move on, never a great feeling to be looking over your shoulder constantly or potentially the first guy in line for a layoff.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It's just a tactic to screw you over. He's guaranteeing a full workforce for as long as he needs, and you're replaceable. So as soon as he gets his replacement, on his schedule and his terms, you'll get your 30 min notice and be gone.

You know going in that dealer work starting out is really tough. You're earning your keep and proving yourself, while building factory training and taking as many classes and specializing as much as you can. Won't be fun or pretty. But in the end you'll be worth your while.

I'd not look at the lost $3.50 as truly a long term major reduction in take home. You were a goner as soon as they could. I'd look at it as you'd need to pay $7k if not a lot more to get sufficient training to what you'll (hopefully, be proactive about it) get for "free" (lower salary or equal salary I guess) at the dealer.

I agree. But in the world of car mechanics, its a meat grinder type of career where there is lots of turn over and cost cutting hurting the techs. I would look for another career field to work in.

Yep, I agree. I quit working as a tech full time a few years ago. I got very tired of the politics, managers and owners that treat techs like animals plowing a field, having book times drop every year, and several other things. If I ever do go back itll be in a performance shop, restoration shop, or something like that.

Is this the boss who was going to fire you if you didn't come to work with an injured hand?

I agree with most of the posts above. Go take your new job and remember why you wanted to quit this one.

If you've already committed to the new job then his offer is irrelevant anyways.
3.50 is NOT enough money to stay at a job you don't like. I'd rather be happy and make less than make more and hate it.
Every minute at a job you hate is painful and you are looking for any reason not to be there.
Working a job you like isn't work. The days fly by,you can't wait to get there and if asked to stay late if needed you enjoy the extra time.
You've gotta do what's best for you.
Old Chinese proverb says find job you like and never work a day in your life.......
Or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back