Bedroom Electric Heater Recommendation(s)

Whatever you get, check the amps and make sure you aren’t pulling too much for the circuit.

Watts/ Volts equals amps.
1440 Watts would be the theoretical maximum for a standard 15 A 120 VAC receptacle, and that's assuming you're not running anything else off that same branch circuit.

Remember that a nominal 15 A breaker can not be operated at more than 12 A on a steady-state basis.

P = IV
1440 W = 12 A * 120 V

Heat pumps are not all sunshine and rainbows. The fact is they don't work all that well. This guy does a pretty good job of telling it like it is. In many areas of Europe and Great Britain the government is pushing these things like there is no tomorrow. Much the same way our government is pushing solar and EV's. With government subsidies and all.

Right there that alone should send up red flags. It's yet another wonderfully engineered disaster waiting to happen. I would really give it some careful thought before you sink hard earned money into one of these overrated contraptions. I've had 2 of them in my lifetime, including the one in the house I'm living in now.

Neither one ever worked very well. A lot of neighbors and people in my area that I've talked to say much the same thing. Most don't even bother using them. And use other means to heat their homes the little bit that is required out here. I can't even imagine utilizing one of these things to heat a 3,500+ sq. ft. home when the temperature gets into single digits.

Heat pumps are not all sunshine and rainbows. The fact is they don't work all that well. This guy does a pretty good job of telling it like it is. In many areas of Europe and Great Britain the government is pushing these things like there is no tomorrow. Much the same way our government is pushing solar and EV's. With government subsidies and all.

Right there that alone should send up red flags. It's yet another wonderfully engineered disaster waiting to happen. I would really give it some careful thought before you sink hard earned money into one of these overrated contraptions. I've had 2 of them in my lifetime, including the one in the house I'm living in now.

Neither one ever worked very well. A lot of neighbors and people in my area that I've talked to say much the same thing. Most don't even bother using them. And use other means to heat their homes the little bit that is required out here. I can't even imagine utilizing one of these things to heat a 3,500+ sq. ft. home when the temperature gets into single digits.

Only one to heat a 3500sf house? That’s pushing it a bit much I think.

Most people around here think of heat pumps as those larger units sitting outside. The picture of a mini split is clickbait and deceiving.

Since this is obviously England, Putin has changed the entire idea behind this video.

The little vornado heater works well for me.

It has 3 settings and is extremely quiet but still moves air.

Perhaps. But he didn't change how heat pumps work.... Or rather don't work.

Most split-system heat pumps have aux heat coils in them, which will come on when the heatpump is unable to maintain the set temperature.

That being said, I have disabled the aux heat coils on mine via a switch, because the thermostats (zoned system) I have are quite stupid about turning them on when they aren't needed. The aux heat on my system will only come on during defrost or if I turn the switch on.

My 4-ton single-stage Trane is capable of keeping my 3300sq ft house at 60F when it's 5F outside using NO aux heat. If it were a variable-speed system I would expect better results than that.

5F outside temperatures are very rare in this part of the country.

......My 4-ton single-stage Trane is capable of keeping my 3300sq ft house at 60F when it's 5F outside using NO aux heat.....
Having lived in the Midwest for 38 years, I can't imagine not being able to heat my home above 60 F when the temp outside was in single digits. Not to mention having the thing running continuously to do it. I would call that anything but, "working fine".

Just me but no so relevant as oil costs have skyrocketed by me in NY. I'm friendly with my oil man and I get a rack discount and it was still $3.99 about a month ago. It's much higher now and going to get worse. Owner expects to be at $5+ before Thanksgiving and is fearful of $6 a gallon by January.

There isn't much more I can do. I built my home and am heavily insulated (R49 in attic). It is all about avoiding as much oil cost as possible for this season. Luckily the pellet and gas stove saved a good % last season. I am tracking pellet cost and the increase in propane usage but it'll take a few seasons to really know the savings.

It's nearly double that for me now! $6.89 delivered. I still don't meet the minimum for deliver, so before it goes up I'm just going to haul my own

Having lived in the Midwest for 38 years, I can't imagine not being able to heat my home above 60 F when the temp outside was in single digits. Not to mention having the thing running continuously to do it. I would call that anything but, "working fine".

That's why they have aux heat. It could easily maintain 72F at 5F outside, but at the cost of using electric resistance heating, which, as I mention in another post, I have disabled.. Still, a 55F temperature differential using ONLY a heat pump and NO aux heat, and not a particularly advanced one (single stage), is pretty good. A variable speed heat pump would have provided better results...

And what's the issue with it running continuously? They're designed to do that, you know. It won't hurt them or break it.

In a COLD place never never never use a (air-air) heat pump for primary heat. As stated. No.

That said good modern efficient heat pumps are PERFECT in combo with gas. They can and do the work on shoulder seasons and after ramp up in cold.

I am telling you this with real world experience. Frankly my LP gas use is so minimal it's almost fun.

Is an electric blanket an option? If it's just for the bedroom, they use very little electricity and if you remember to turn it on a few minutes head of time you can go into a warm bed.

A good idea. We used to have an electric mattress cover that worked well for many years. It had dual controls so each side could dial in their own comfort.

Just me but no so relevant as oil costs have skyrocketed by me in NY. I'm friendly with my oil man and I get a rack discount and it was still $3.99 about a month ago. It's much higher now and going to get worse. Owner expects to be at $5+ before Thanksgiving and is fearful of $6 a gallon by January.

There isn't much more I can do. I built my home and am heavily insulated (R49 in attic). It is all about avoiding as much oil cost as possible for this season. Luckily the pellet and gas stove saved a good % last season. I am tracking pellet cost and the increase in propane usage but it'll take a few seasons to really know the savings.
5.54 a gal and up in dutchess county right now

That said good modern efficient heat pumps are PERFECT in combo with gas.

They can't run the gas heat at the same time as the heatpump because the A coil is downstream from the furnace and it will cause high head pressure. So it's either gas OR heatpump, not both at the same time. To make it work most efficiently you probably need a smart thermostat with an outdoor temperature sensor. Not a stupid thermostat like the ones I have that would probably run the gas when it's 40F outside because you cranked the heat up 3 degrees...

But if your backup heat is electric resistance heat, then it can and does run both the heatpump and the electric resistance heat at the same time, because the electric heat is downstream from the A coil, there is no issue with high head pressure.

They can't run the gas heat at the same time as the heatpump because the A coil is downstream from the furnace and it will cause high head pressure. So it's either gas OR heatpump, not both at the same time. To make it work most efficiently you probably need a smart thermostat with an outdoor temperature sensor. Not a stupid thermostat like the ones I have that would probably run the gas when it's 40F outside because you cranked the heat up 3 degrees...

But if your backup heat is electric resistance heat, then it can and does run both the heatpump and the electric resistance heat at the same time, because the electric heat is downstream from the A coil, there is no issue with high head pressure.
Correct Indeed. Combo was not a good word choice. Our smart T stat puts those silly Google owned eyeball things to shame.

We added the heat pump and the new hi-ef gas furnace.

A) Use it for cooling, use it for partial heating.........NO NOTICEABLE change in electric bill.
B) LP tank usage graph month after month is near horizontal line.

Wasn't cheap and not kidding myself about payback, but comfort is great and payback will be there eventually

No, they don't work that way. Heat pump will run first, and if for some reason it can't keep up (the set points are adjustable) then the gas kicks on. No electric resistance heat whatsoever.
And they do have an outside temp sensor. The system becomes totally customiseable.

Back