Bedroom Electric Heater Recommendation(s)

I built my home in 2004. It's a modern version of a colonial with 3 floors (3600 sq ft). I'm in the Northeast and have oil as my basic heat and hot water. I'm all set up for the bottom 2 floors with pellet stove and gas insert fireplace. Last winter was in the top 5 coldest winters we experienced. We did well and sipped oil but the 3rd floor which has 4 bedrooms was the coldest. Luckily my electric rate is pretty daXX good for NY.

I wanted to hear what you all have to say regarding a plug in wall heater or anything else good for bedroom, electric heat. I find myself setting the hallway zone thermostat and 2 bedrooms are about 4 degrees under that hallway and 2 are about 2 degrees under. An efficient electric wall heater or comparable might work for me.

Just about any electric heater is gonna be efficient as its only gonna be inefficient by producing heat. I have an oil heater since it's temp regulated and is effective at radiating heat without any fan noise but it's a bit pricey. Any bog standard element heater is gonna be good. Another good heater that i have is this old dish style one that can tilt to where it points upwards and doesn't have a fan since its dish has the elements spread out with a reflector behind it and it works wonderfully too.

Yes. I agree. I’ve used oil filled radiators for years. Just got 2 more to help supplement the furnace this winter since propane went up a lot here.

how much did you spend on heating oil last year?

Just me but no so relevant as oil costs have skyrocketed by me in NY. I'm friendly with my oil man and I get a rack discount and it was still $3.99 about a month ago. It's much higher now and going to get worse. Owner expects to be at $5+ before Thanksgiving and is fearful of $6 a gallon by January.

There isn't much more I can do. I built my home and am heavily insulated (R49 in attic). It is all about avoiding as much oil cost as possible for this season. Luckily the pellet and gas stove saved a good % last season. I am tracking pellet cost and the increase in propane usage but it'll take a few seasons to really know the savings.

I second the Delonghi heater recommendation. I’ve had the oil and their convection heaters. Currently I have their convection heaters. The Eco function works well. Both are quiet which is a plus for bedrooms.

Just me but no so relevant as oil costs have skyrocketed by me in NY. I'm friendly with my oil man and I get a rack discount and it was still $3.99 about a month ago. It's much higher now and going to get worse. Owner expects to be at $5+ before Thanksgiving and is fearful of $6 a gallon by January.

There isn't much more I can do. I built my home and am heavily insulated (R49 in attic). It is all about avoiding as much oil cost as possible for this season. Luckily the pellet and gas stove saved a good % last season. I am tracking pellet cost and the increase in propane usage but it'll take a few seasons to really know the savings.
The current heating fuel situation is dire. I got a fill up several days ago for $5.24/ gal. Price is now currently $5.50- 5.89 at various dealers. Supposedly, it's about reached the rationing level in the northeast.

That's an excellent insulation level that you have! I'm in a 160 year old leak box. Much of my core Winter heating has been a well tuned coal stove. Too old for that, but no choice. Anthracite coal has doubled in cost this year and difficult to even obtain in NY and NE. Big collieries are selling all to Europe, where they will pay anything for it.

Oil filled heaters like the Deloghi are OK, and fairly safe. The only problem is, it's still resistance heat and will run your electric bill up pretty severely. Even though it sounds like you are OK with that, and there will be a minimum up front cost, I would do it differently.
I'd install a mini split heat pump. They can supply up to 4 inside units with a single outside unit. Each area or room could therefore have its own A/C system and each with its own heating system. I'm pretty sure that it's hard to cool those rooms in the summer too.
Should be some Gov't credits available as well.

The current heating fuel situation is dire. I got a fill up several days ago for $5.24/ gal. Price is now currently $5.50- 5.89 at various dealers. Supposedly, it's about reached the rationing level in the northeast.

That's an excellent insulation level that you have! I'm in a 160 year old leak box. Much of my core Winter heating has been a well tuned coal stove. Too old for that, but no choice. Anthracite coal has doubled in cost this year and difficult to even obtain in NY and NE. Big collieries are selling all to Europe, where they will pay anything for it.

It's not ok that is for sure my friend. I have two 330gal oil tanks in my basement and I'm at 1/2 a tank so I have to fill this week for security. Can't not with 3 kids, me, n dogs. I'm responding to let you know a friend of mine picked up some coal for his home stove in Middletown NY. I'm not up on coal stoves but I know his a home unit. He uses the pellet looking coal. If you are close enough google the town, only coal stove place around.

It won't matter what you use. Resistive heat is pretty much the same efficiency regardless of what form factor it is in. Oil filled, forced air, or any other method, 1500 watts of heat is 1500 watts of heat.

The only way to beat that efficiency using electricity is via heat pump.

It's not ok that is for sure my friend. I have two 330gal oil tanks in my basement and I'm at 1/2 a tank so I have to fill this week for security. Can't not with 3 kids, me, n dogs. I'm responding to let you know a friend of mine picked up some coal for his home stove in Middletown NY. I'm not up on coal stoves but I know his a home unit. He uses the pellet looking coal. If you are close enough google the town, only coal stove place around.
Good luck and stay warm. I'm in Pa. and there are still a fair number of Anthracite dealers. I got a delivery in June and beat a few of the price increases. I know of some in upstate NY that waited too long. Many dealers in NY but many are out of stock. The coal that your friend uses is likely "rice" size. Used in stoker type stoves and boilers. Back on topic, I like the oil filled E heater as well. Silent. I also have a couple of knock offs of the old Pelonis ceramic disc heaters that never seem to wear out.

Is your electricity cheaper at off-peak hours? If so, consider something with a lot of thermal mass that you can charge during off-peak hours, and that will radiate heat for hours afterwards.

Back