Becoming a Thin Oil Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed my oil from Luqui Moly 5W40 oil changed to Castrol Edge 5W30 in my E46 and I cannot believe there is such a dramatic difference.

The engine revs a lot easier. The best way is I can describe it - it's like the difference between running an engine with a fan clutch installed vs. removing the fan clutch on the same engine.

This winter I also had some long cranks in -20 Celsius weather. Previous winter I had no such problems with M1 0W40, cranks were very short and engine fired up right away.

I think Dr. Haas was onto something when running 0W20 in his Ferrari. My car certainly seems happier with 5W30.

I feel you!

My 125cc Piaggio scooter came with 5w40 prefilled from the factory - and after the initial service where some standard 5w40 was used I switched to Motul 300V 5w40 which is more of a thin 5w40 oil. The difference was definitely noticeable - the engine is smoother and revs much easier with the Motul.

Last edited:
noisier is not 'better' check your fuel mileage if this engine is that much 'happier' it will show up there proportionally.

Wow, you've convinced me...

Now what have you actually measured in the couple hundred parameters that are involved here ?

Did Dr Haas actually take the 20s to the places where Ferarris get to be Ferraris, and what exactly was he onto that even Ferarri managed to miss in designing Ferarris to be Ferarris rather than geldings ?

Originally Posted By: alex_at
I feel you!

My 125cc Piaggio scooter came with 5w40 prefilled from the factory - and after the initial service where some standard 5w40 was used I switched to Motul 300V 5w40 which is more of a thin 5w40 oil. The difference was definitely noticeable - the engine is smoother and revs much easier with the Motul.

Are you sure that's not just because the 300V is a much better oil ? Cause its HTHS isn't that low compared to most 5W40.
300V feels smoother in my car too, compared to M1 0W40 (which is "thinner") or regular Total 5W40.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Wow, you've convinced me...

Now what have you actually measured in the couple hundred parameters that are involved here ?

Did Dr Haas actually take the 20s to the places where Ferarris get to be Ferraris, and what exactly was he onto that even Ferarri managed to miss in designing Ferarris to be Ferarris rather than geldings ?

Of course it's all anecdotal evidence but...

When you drive your car everyday you notice differences.

I don't think he claimed 0W20 would work for all situations.

Similarly I am not planning on driving my car at 160 or 200 km/h where a thick oil might be advantageous. The speed limit in Canada is only 100 km/h and usually I am stuck in traffic in sub zero temperatures.

I think it's all in the engine bearing clearances and what you're going to do with it-for example, Ford specs 15W50 in the Mustang Track Pack 5.0 (and in the Shelby GT350), but the same engine (block) in a garden variety Mustang can handle 5W20 just fine. I've had no problems with the 4.6 2V and 5W20, both in an overloaded E-250 work van, and the Grand Marquis in my sig, because the engine oil clearances were designed for 5W20. Now, if the engine gets "looser", with bigger clearances, and resulting low oil pressure, then it's time to start climbing the viscosity ladder-all the way to 20W50 if necessary...

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I recently changed my oil from Luqui Moly 5W40 oil changed to Castrol Edge 5W30 in my E46 and I cannot believe there is such a dramatic difference.

The engine revs a lot easier. The best way is I can describe it - it's like the difference between running an engine with a fan clutch installed vs. removing the fan clutch on the same engine.

This winter I also had some long cranks in -20 Celsius weather. Previous winter I had no such problems with M1 0W40, cranks were very short and engine fired up right away.

I think Dr. Haas was onto something when running 0W20 in his Ferrari. My car certainly seems happier with 5W30.

Run it on straight 10w, it will run amazing for a short time. Haas didn't his car he tooled from one place to the other barley touching the gas. I am surprised he didn't add a aspirin to the sump to thin it out a bit more.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
You are not a thin oil guy-you are a now I'm using the correct oil guy.

Well I would consider why BMW originally designed the engine to use thicker oils?

Ford where one the first in Europe to use 5w30 A1/B1 or as they were called by many at the time, fuel economy oils.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Run it on straight 10w, it will run amazing for a short time. Haas didn't his car he tooled from one place to the other barley touching the gas. I am surprised he didn't add a aspirin to the sump to thin it out a bit more.

True, run it on SAE 10 at a track day and it will pull hard! and destroy itself internally.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Originally Posted By: alex_at
I feel you!

Are you sure that's not just because the 300V is a much better oil ? Cause its HTHS isn't that low compared to most 5W40.
300V feels smoother in my car too, compared to M1 0W40 (which is "thinner") or regular Total 5W40.

I’m using the motorcycle variant - Motul 300V Factory Line which has a Hths of 4,29 if I recall correctly.
Whatever it is that makes the 300V so good, I can really feel the difference in the saddle - so much smoother idling.

My m119 Mercedes doesnt like anything thinner than a 5w40. I tried 0w40 and 5w30 the past two winters, and it was fine, but by Spring when i went back to 10w40, the engine was noticibly smoother, and this doesnt occur changing out the 10w40 when it is worn, only the thin stuff. I will be trying a 5w40 fullsyn diesel oil this winter to see how that does. To each their own. I sleep better knowing i have have a thicker protection film for those moments i show some Honda or other little sporty-ish little car how a 20yr old 4door benz can get lol. My Ford 4.6 4v gets 10/30 summer 5/30 winter, and the Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo gets 10/40 year round as it sits most of the winter. All Valvoline products and all look like new under the valvecover and in the pan. But, if you short trip a lot and never reach operating temp, a lighter oil may be good for you, as it will mimic the correct oil ay operating temp.

I used to run my e30 on 5w40 (as opposed to the 15w50 M1 the OP ran the car exclusively on) and it loved it!
Easier to rev and slightly better fuel economy.

I eventually went back to dino 15w40 due to cost and availability.
And mostly because I don't drive the car that much (2-3 times a year).
ALSO because the bike runs on the same oil
smile.gif

Your cold temp cranking times are much more likely to be related to your battery health than with the oil viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
You are not a thin oil guy-you are a now I'm using the correct oil guy.

Ditto. 5w-30 is not the Dr's 0w-20 either. Big difference. Didn't the doctor routinely state in his articles that a 10 cSt oil was
essentially "ideal." That's a 30 grade. And unless he put 100K-200K miles on his Ferrari engine, no way to discuss engine longevity. Do they even last that long? Do their owners even care if they do?

Which 5W30 Edge? ACEA A3/B3 B4?
If it is ILSAC-GF5 5W30 then yes, you will gain bit in consumption, it will rev. faster, but it is STUPID!
No BMW engines are designed for ILSAC-GF5 oils. I assume it is ILSAC GF-5 because ACEA A3/B3 B4 5W30 should not make any difference compare to 5W40 ACE A3/B3 B4.
Heck, you can put in that engine 0W16, it will rev. even faster then 5W30.
As for your winter performance with LM 5W40, no 5W40 should have issue in -20c. I always stated that LM is just mediocre oil that has oversized Made in Germany letters in the front and people get hooked up on that.
Oil that I would run in that car in Canada is Castrol Edge 0W30 ACEA A3/B3 B4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back