Bearing selection question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen,
I'm currently rebuilding a 3hp treadmill motor. It was always kind of loud but recently was making scratchy sound and followed a high pitch whine. So I pulled the motor and broke it down to check the bearings. I estimate this motor has about 2500 hours (aprox. 1 hour a day for 7 years) There was some dust in the motor and metal filings around the magnet. I cleaned everything up with isopropyl alcohol, lightly sanded the commutator, the brushes were in good shape.
The two bearings are pressed on each end of the armature. The noisy one was on the commutator side next the the vents and dust. The one the other end with the fly wheel had a bit of rust under the shaft and was tough to get off. The bearings have no brand name or country of origin, only mark is 6203 and the size is 17x40x12. I pulled the seal an it has a steel cage. On the noisy one the grease was on the outside of the cage and black.

I'd like to replace it with a long lasting & quite bearing if possible. There are a lot of bearing suffixes and prefixes that refer to the seal & cage type. I've seen prices from $4 to $20. Advance Auto has a bearing part number 203-FF that is the right size and designed as a alternator bearing. They have a cheap line and a premium called National Bearing but I'm not sure if that's good brand or just a house brand.

What should I look for in a replacement bearing? Is 2500 hours good life in this application?
Thanks for your advice.

Maybe a Nachi 6203ZZ. I think it would have a double shield, rather than a rubber seal. If it's a rubber seal, then 2NSE.
As a bearing supplier once said to me, you can either buy from me or go to the auto parts store and pay twice the price for the same thing.

Go to the Motion Industries website and look for a bearing there. I got one from them for my Bosch grinder and it's been awesome. Sealed and no grease required.

6203 is the size. That's a very common size. There are tons of choices on ebay and Amazon. Just get any name brand and you'll be getting something better than the no-name bearings you have now.

I have bought quite a few Nachi rubber sealed bearings on eBay. Shielded bearings don't have nearly the protection against dust intrusion as sealed. But in this application, either would probably last a long time.

The bearings I pulled have black rubber seals on each side. Dust protection is important because I think that's why the one got noisy. Also the roller bearings for the treadmill belt have similar bearings and those are PPl Poland 6203DU.

I looked at this SKF literature and they list so many suffixes & applications. There are bearings for tensioners, generators, light series.... so I assume the grease they use is different in each application and designed for different loads & speeds. http://www.skf.com/binary/79-66347/457013.pdf

I just checked and found there is a Motion Industries not too far from me, also an Applied Industrial. I'll give them a call and see what they have in stock. Otherwise I'll have to order online. What are some good brands to look for? Are there any good quality American/European/Japanese bearings or do they all come from China/India nowadays?

Just go over to Motion Industries and pick up the bearing. You won't find any better quality than what they have. Also a good time to pick up a tube of Dow Corning 111 while you're there since they're the only place that stocks it.

I stopped by Motion & picked up a couple of double seal, electric motor grade, made in Japan NSK bearings. They seem like good quality, certainly better than what came out of the motor. I'll slap it together tomorrow and see how it turns out.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back