Be careful out there

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
Drove by this bad accident at Central and Camelback on the way home from dinner. 8 cars and a Camry that caught fire. I didn't even see the Camry, The Soul, Wrangler and Jetta are what I noticed...might have been cleared away by that time but what a mess making it through the intersection to Camelback.

CENTRAL-CAMELBACK-CRASH.png

Last year, about 105 people died on average per day due to vehicle crashes in the USA. That number does include pedestrian deaths.
There are many more injuries than deaths.

If you look at the deaths per 100K by year, it was far worse decades ago. We had more than double the vehicle accident death rate for many years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

But the sad reality we are living with today is how many people are getting killed or injured while using a cellphone behind the wheel or walking into the path of an oncoming vehicle while staring at their phone?

My unscientific observation post open up, is people driving with a stunning disregard for the safety of others. Two people i know have also mentioned this.

Was in a traffic jam, on friday, stopped traffic and someone decided to drive down the breakdown lane to get to the next exit; i am fine with that, but it appears 55 mph seemed to them an appropriate speed. Really? How about "You are doing something reasonable but outside the norms of regular driving; a bit of caution is at hand?"

Wow, only about 3 miles from where I live.

I always make sure I’ve got a dashcam running.

Although I’m now daily-driving my Jeep until my new car comes in. Maybe I should park it again…

Distracted driving is the one thing I can't stand. Nothing worse than getting demolished due to someone not being able to put down social media.

At least car enthusiasts who enjoy "spirited" driving always have their eyes on the road.

This era of driving while looking at a phone has turned me into a somewhat nervous driver. I've witnessed red light runners at an intersection near my office more times than I can count in the last 4 years. It isn't a matter these idiots flooring it when it turns yellow. They're running it long after it's red, as if it's not even there. I've reached a point where, if I can't see cross traffic when my light turns green, I don't accelerate until the large vehicles next to me have gone and clear my sightline.

Distracted driving is the one thing I can't stand. Nothing worse than getting demolished due to someone not being able to put down social media.

At least car enthusiasts who enjoy "spirited" driving always have their eyes on the road.
Distracted driving is frickin' stupid.
But 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I've also seen and experienced a lot of close calls. There are a lot of distracted drivers and those who drive either too slow in passing lanes thereby blocking traffic and causing others in a hurry to take unnecessary risks, and there are those speeding taking dangerous risks.

I'm a very defensive driver and look everywhere, head on a swivel and know all cars in all directions that can hit me, sides, front, back, and I tend to look both ways as I cross intersections.

Recently I almost got NAILED at highway speeds where there's a dangerous righthand curve that also has a straightaway but a yield for the straightaway. The oncoming car was not stopping for the yield as I was approaching the oncoming direction on the curve. It's a really poorly designed intersection and the only thing that averted an accident was my defensive driving and I stopped b/c the other car just blew right thru. It would likely have been a fatal accident.

Reactions: JC1
Man that is rough. This is what scares me is others, not myself not saying all others are bad drivers but I’m sure you get what I mean. On my way to work you have to come down a steep hill that has the entrance from the interstate about halfway down it and I always slow down because people pull out in front of you or run the stop sign when you are moving 60mph is not a comfortable experience especially since I seen someone right there plow into someone a couple weeks ago. And going down hill you would absolutely have to lay on the brakes to stop if even possible.

Man that is rough. This is what scares me is others, not myself not saying all others are bad drivers but I’m sure you get what I mean. On my way to work you have to come down a steep hill that has the entrance from the interstate about halfway down it and I always slow down because people pull out in front of you or run the stop sign when you are moving 60mph is not a comfortable experience especially since I seen someone right there plow into someone a couple weeks ago. And going down hill you would absolutely have to lay on the brakes to stop if even possible.

Part of it is road design and planning too. Some streets/intersections seem designed in ways to promote collisions.

Last edited:
tragedies like these that convinced me to stop riding motorcycles. One incident like that, and it’s lights out. Practically a guaranteed death if one of those 8 cars were a motorcyclist. It’s a shame too, riding motorcycles is a joy unrivaled by most other things.

tragedies like these that convinced me to stop riding motorcycles. One incident like that, and it’s lights out. Practically a guaranteed death if one of those 8 cars were a motorcyclist. It’s a shame too, riding motorcycles is a joy unrivaled by most other things.
Exact same reason I don't street ride anymore.

One thing you need to do before proceeding when the light turns green is look both ways first.

Defensive driving is key.
Have had many go through red lights when our light turned green . Do wait and look both ways when green . Hopefully the person behind won't get impatient and rear end us . I'll take the chance with being rear ended over a side impact to driver or passenger side .

Reactions: JC1
Part of it is road design and planning too. Some streets/intersections seem designed in ways to promote collisions.

This is a very good point. Where I live there is one really bad intersection that has a blind 4 way intersection where cross traffic is on a major highway. There's a major accident there every year or so, and fatalities about every few years. They refuse to put a 4-way stop there.

Seen a few really dangerous intersections and designs in my days. Designers should almost be held liable when their designs repeatedly contribute to accidents.

I remember seeing a lot of accidents from red light runners when I lived in Mesa. It's a big problem out there for sure.

We have massive issues with this in the city (of the nasty ‘Nati) since the local city police completely abandoned traffic enforcement. I’ve been surprised there haven’t been more fatals and road rage shootings then there has been. There’s many areas here that I won’t even risk after dark anymore, it’s too dangerous. Close calls literally every day.

Back