Be careful out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things can go terribly wrong in an instant. This is not me but I used this video to show my son that he needs to maintain 360 degree awareness at all times.

That's a great video for any riders to watch. I want another bike.

Can anyone hear what's being said at the end?

Good move on pulling off to the shoulder, it saved him from getting smoked by the pickup.

There was another pickup early in the video who was in the oncoming lane for no reason, I guess "motorcycles don't count" there either.

I wonder why the person in the Nissan stopped right there in the first place? There were two bikes on the side of the road, but nothing directly in front of them. Also, if you have to stop in a strange place (like the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD) 4-ways would be a good idea. Not laying blame on them, as the dude in the pickup was obviously out to lunch, just thinking out loud.

The guy on the bike is alive because he was smart!

Great video for teaching.

Not trying to hijack this but it relates:

Regional differences here. In the South, traffic stops in the opposite direction for a funeral procession. When my Tennessee born and bred wife moved to Colorado she stops in the middle of a 6 lane, on the snow no less, while I screamed and cars went into the ditch all around us. She refused to budge and yelled back that I have no respect......

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Regional differences here. In the South, traffic stops in the opposite direction for a funeral procession.

Yes, in some parts of the South, it is customary to show respect for those in the funeral for all traffic to stop as a funeral procession passes by. To this day, that custom is still observed in some places. My wife buried her two grandparents late last year, and in both funerals, drivers would either stop in the road or pull over. But this was in peaceful southwest Virginia.

In the Fayetteville area of North Carolina, there is no on-road respect for anybody. A funeral procession would be lucky to reach the cemetary still in one train, for all of the people in a hurry to cut through the line to buy a pack of cigs at a convenience store. I'm frequently disgusted by the style of driving in this area (I'm sure 97tbird would agree with me), and if we moved to a different area, the driving environment in Fayetteville would be one of the top reasons for us doing so. Get out of town into Pinehurst or other surrounding areas and the drivers are much less...uh...competitive.

Regional differences here. In the South, traffic stops in the opposite direction for a funeral procession. When my Tennessee born and bred wife moved to Colorado she stops in the middle of a 6 lane, on the snow no less, while I screamed and cars went into the ditch all around us. She refused to budge and yelled back that I have no respect......

I understand the whole stopping for a funeral procession, it was just the place and the procedure they chose to follow that I was questioning. Funeral or not, I would have a turn signal or 4-ways on in the hope that they people behind me would notice.
Around D-Town , I always watch the rear view until the car behind me has stopped. I have made more than one instant right turn to let a brain donor figure out the light is red.

I would certainly think twice about coming to a full stop in the middle of a multi-lane road though...

Doesn't matter why they were stopped, the driver in the Dakota should have had more than enough time to plan ahead to stop. Most likely the driver was texting.

I like this discussion about funeral processions in the south. All my life I've lived in the mountain west, yet my mother is from Mississippi, and my grandparents still lived there when they passed away. A few years ago I was able to attend my grandmother's funeral in Columbia, MS, and then there was a long procession to a little town called Darbun up in the hills. I was shocked and honored at the respect paid by everyone on that trip! Through the town in Columbia, 6 or 8 officers at strategic points turned on their lights, got out of their Crown Vics, and stood at attention as we went through town without needing to stop. And all the way up on the highway, cars in the other direction did in fact stop for us. It was just really cool, and something we don't see much in other parts of the country.

The way I was raised, you pulled over and took your hat off as a funeral went by.

The first thing I thought while watching the video, as he pulled off the road, I thought, "Good, that's a safe place to be."

What amazed me was after the wreck, he simply looks at the skid marks and back at the truck. He seemed pretty calm considering what just happened.

A good case of whiplash will change her mind.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
What amazed me was after the wreck, he simply looks at the skid marks and back at the truck. He seemed pretty calm considering what just happened.

I have been riding motorcycles for over 30 years...have had that happen 3 times. It usually happens so fast you don't have time to react. After a while you look for the guy in the pickup.

The way I was raised, you pulled over and took your hat off as a funeral went by...

YEP as far as I'm concerned only a heathen would not stop for a funeral (or emergency vehicle or school bus).

Originally Posted By: crw
I like this discussion about funeral processions in the south. All my life I've lived in the mountain west, yet my mother is from Mississippi, and my grandparents still lived there when they passed away. A few years ago I was able to attend my grandmother's funeral in Columbia, MS, and then there was a long procession to a little town called Darbun up in the hills. I was shocked and honored at the respect paid by everyone on that trip! Through the town in Columbia, 6 or 8 officers at strategic points turned on their lights, got out of their Crown Vics, and stood at attention as we went through town without needing to stop. And all the way up on the highway, cars in the other direction did in fact stop for us. It was just really cool, and something we don't see much in other parts of the country.

Was your grandmother or grandfather a military veteran? They did that in Virginia for my wife's grandparents (her grandfather served in Korea). Traffic at signalized intersections was stopped and the officer stood at salute while we drove by. It was quite classy.

Originally Posted By: Doog

I have been riding motorcycles for over 30 years...have had that happen 3 times. It usually happens so fast you don't have time to react. After a while you look for the guy in the pickup.

If it were me, I would have had to stay on the bike because as soon as I left, it would have been to go home and change my pants.

I noticed all the motorcycle riders, when stopped, pulled onto the shoulder. Is that something riders are taught? Seems like one of the smartest things you could do on a bike.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I noticed all the motorcycle riders, when stopped, pulled onto the shoulder. Is that something riders are taught? Seems like one of the smartest things you could do on a bike.

The MSF course teaches to have your escape route planned when you stop behind someone in a cage, and always check your mirrors.

I try to stop far enough away from rear bumper of the car ahead of me and angle my front tire, and keep the bike in gear.

Please don't get me wrong, but to be honest funeral processions really annoy me. People think that if someone passed away in their family (or non-family) they for some reason MUST get 100 cars to the cemetery at once without really obeying traffic rules.

This is an absolute disregard for safety of other drivers and participants on the road. I don't really understand what is the big deal if they get to their destination point within 15-20 minute interval and not 5 min?

There was absolutely no reason for the driver of Altima to stop or the funeral caravan to block the whole road. The only reason to stop in the middle of the road for me is some sort of emergency or prevention of an accident.

Driver of the altima and probably that pickup which hit it were probably hurt pretty badly in this accident. In my opinion there is absolutely no reason for other people to get hurt or break traffic rules for the funeral processions.

OldSparks is right about MSF, but you also learn in the school of hard knocks. I have been followed so closely on a bike that I could hear the fan belt squeaking and the sound of the fan from the car behind me. I usually have ear plugs in too. A five second ignition kill and then back on adjusted his attitude (try it on a carb-a-tooted bike, but put earplugs in first).
I have also seen someone pass my buddy who was riding in the right part of the lane while there was oncoming traffic. It was sureal. He punched their window as they tried to run him down. I also have my bike pointed in a safe location and in gear in case I have to bugout. I'd rather explain to a cop why I did a wheelie into a CVS parking lot than be hauled off in a ambulance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back