BBQ Brush Danger

If you're concerned about digesting the little wires that fall off BBQ brushes here is what I found, a plastic brush that is FDA compliant for food and medical use and is BPA safe and good up to 650°F . Been using it for a few weeks now and I'm really impressed, it's built like a tank but it's a little spendy.

Thought I share in case anyone else is concerned with ingesting little wires.

Here's a pic so you can see the size difference and how long the bristles are.
bbq brush.jpg

I stopped using a brush with metal teeth as well.

I bought a wooden paddle barbecue scraper. It was very cheap (maybe $5). It's only a wooden stick after all. I shaped the business end so it has hills and valleys that correspond to the BBQ grill. I think it would have worn that way eventually but by shaping it I got off to a fast start.

I follow a little scraping by wiping the grill with a paper towel. That works surprisingly well, at least as good as with the brush, and maybe even better.

Thanks for the link. Apparently the little wires can cause big trouble if they get stuck somewhere on the way through. I threw out my old brush and bought a highly rated wire brush and look the grate over carefully after every brushing. May get one of these. Grill brushes are probably one of those things people use way too long.

I started using this stone. Looks and feels like pumice that you use for callus, but it says it's made from recycled glass, non-toxic and chemical-free. Working well so far.

71IbqbsZNEL._AC_SL600_.jpg

Over the years I have used a wooden spatula, balled up tin foil, putty knife but nothing works as good or fast as a brush but that Grillin' Stone looks like it works good. I just have to be somewhat careful since my grates are porcelain covered cast iron, I have chipped them in a couple spots and really don't want to replace them, there are four of them at $20 a piece.

When I had my gas grill I was a bit overly fanatical about cleaning. I used to take the grill surface (porcelain coated steel) inside and wash it in the sink with a Scotchbrite pad and dish soap every time I used it. It stayed so clean it looked like I never used the grill. I ended up giving it away because I pretty much stopped using it. I decided I liked my steaks better pan fried.

Have outdoor sink … Easy Off oven cleaner and then soak in hot soapy water … nylon brush …

My sister has had issues for years with her porcelain-coated steel grates in her Weber grills, so I only buy grills that are 100% stainless. Never had a speck of rust on the grates, and they stand up to whatever cleaning method you throw at them. Anymore, I soak them in Easy Off and pressure wash them the next day. That scrubbing is for the birds.

My sister has had issues for years with her porcelain-coated steel grates in her Weber grills, so I only buy grills that are 100% stainless. Never had a speck of rust on the grates, and they stand up to whatever cleaning method you throw at them. Anymore, I soak them in Easy Off and pressure wash them the next day. That scrubbing is for the birds.
Just curious, what were the issues your sister was having?

I changed over to this. It has natural fibers from palm trees. They do eventually get consumed but the replacement block is less than 5 bucks. Apparently they break down if you accidentally eat some fibers. These are stocked by the Canadian Tire stores up in Canada.
813C4B5C-727C-4541-A216-689A0C4BC855.jpeg59EBA064-EF86-4689-9FD0-F4A03F5134F4.jpeg

Complete garbage decision by Weber to go to porcelain coated over junk steel grates. The great news: are the aftermarket round bar replacements work even better than the original stainless varieties. I am not a clean grill freak. Clean enough is just fine. I made a very hard oak paddle that works extremely well. Heat up very HOT Scrape and go!

Just curious, what were the issues your sister was having?

The porcelain develops cracks, allows moisture in, the steel underneath begins to rust, and it begins to compromise the ceramic from underneath. Her last set of grates could only be described as "deformed" before she finally replaced them.

The porcelain develops cracks, allows moisture in, the steel underneath begins to rust, and it begins to compromise the ceramic from underneath. Her last set of grates could only be described as "deformed" before she finally replaced them.
I would expect more from Weber but maybe they had a bad run, thanks for replying.

I have a Huntington made by Onward which is a Canadian company I bought in May of 2013 and still using the original grates. I only chipped one because I was using a putty knife when I had them off cleaning them and wasn't paying attention to what I was doing.

Please see my post above. It was not a bad run. It was a terrible decision that apparently was not thought through nor tested.

And as I also stated aftermarket sellers stepped in with thick stainless round bar replacements. Fit like a champ and seem to work as well or better than the original stainless inverse u fabbed grates.

Yeah, my Broil King's porcelain on steel grates are rubbish. I've been thinking of sand blasting them.

Or I may look for SS replacements. I wasn't aware that anyone made them.

My Broil King needs a good refurbishment. I inherited it well used, stored it for a few years and have used it for 6 years. It must be 20 years old.

Sure I could buy a new one but what's the fun in that.

Yeah, my Broil King's porcelain on steel grates are rubbish. I've been thinking of sand blasting them.

Or I may look for SS replacements. I wasn't aware that anyone made them.

My Broil King needs a good refurbishment. I inherited it well used, stored it for a few years and have used it for 6 years. It must be 20 years old.

Sure I could buy a new one but what's the fun in that.
Search around here: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=broil+...prefix=Broil+King,aps,260&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_10

Not sure what model you have there are cast iron and stainless and rubbish porcelain......I get it, modern ceramics can take heat but just a thin coating over scrap steel? Nope.

I got stainless steel flavorizer bars and grates for my Weber that originally came with porcelain ones. SS holds up much better.

I recently cleaned up my Huntington, which is about five years old, but has sat unused for the past couple of years.

Mostly, it's in fine shape, including the stainless burners. The only signs of rust are the edges of the heat plates, so they will be replaced by the stainless version when due.

It came with bare cast iron grates, which are fine, but I was careful to keep them seasoned.

I believe the porcelain coated Weber grates referred to earlier were exclusive to units sold at Home Despot.

But if it wasn't clear enough already, Weber's downward trend was put on full display when the Genesis II appeared, with the open cart, and a premium upgrade to the LX to approximate the older series. It looks like they have dumped the LX branding and expanded the line to more closely resemble the old lineup, but getting an enclosed cabinet still requires a premium.

The classic kettles are still fine, but the new pellet grill has had a painful birth.

Back