Baxter Performance Oil Filter Anti Drain Adapter???

Hi dezlpwr,
Thank you for sharing your comments and the video. From 9:23 to 9:26 of the video the pressure gauge stays at zero for 3-4 seconds. This would mean my oil pressure light in my car would be on for this amount of time.

In both my 2021 Forester and my 2019 Grand Cherokee I have never experienced the oil light staying on and both engines start immediately. (both daily driving and after install of a new oil filter)

The Grand Cherokee has a cartridge so its not possible to prefill but I can pre-fill the filter on the Subaru completely on the the can side and some into the center hole area. No oil pressure light at startup.

They put the words CRANKING when they start the test. It appears they are not actually cranking the engine. Perhaps they are applying air pressure to the oil passages of the engine.

So I'm skeptical about the test method and results in the video.
My oil light never came on with my filter empty before I got the Baxter unit. I'm happy with the unit and it provides me added piece of mind. I'm not pushing it on anyone. To each his own. I'm sure your vehicle will last just fine without it. Change your oil often is most important with these oil diluting Subaru GDI engines.😎 Just curious, what are your thoughts on the particle count data they provided?

They put the words CRANKING when they start the test. It appears they are not actually cranking the engine. Perhaps they are applying air pressure to the oil passages of the engine.
In the video, he is spinning the oil pump where the distributor shaft would go into the oil pump drive.

Check this out. Without the Baxter unit, every time you start your Subaru, the oil filter is empty. This video pretty much backs up that you want a full oil filter every time you start.

I watched this last night after my FIL sent me a link to it. My general opinion was it was utter nonsense.

It's just a video with a massive confirmation bias. All it proves is that oil pressure rises quicker with a full filter. So what?

A real test would have been proving that starting an engine with an empty filter causes wear that starting an engine with a full filter doesn't.

In the video, he is spinning the oil pump where the distributor shaft would go into the oil pump drive.

But is that drill anywhere near as fast as the oil pump would have been spinning with the engine at idle? I never prefill my oil filters and the light goes out in less than a second, every time!

My oil light never came on with my filter empty before I got the Baxter unit. I'm happy with the unit and it provides me added piece of mind. I'm not pushing it on anyone. To each his own. I'm sure your vehicle will last just fine without it. Change your oil often is most important with these oil diluting Subaru GDI engines.😎 Just curious, what are your thoughts on the particle count data they provided?
Good Morning dezlpwr,
No worries, all of us purchase products for a number of reasons and they are personal. I value peoples experiences with products and appreciate you sharing.

ZeeOSix shared they are driving the oil pump in the video, but I'm still skeptical of the guys in the video having the ability to design a test and therefore the results, to me are not valid.

It would have been much easier and a valid test if they simply would have removed the oil pressure sensor on the engine, installed a tee and put the sensor and a gauge on the tee openings. Then do the test by cranking the engine. This would have been a true test. I have this exact setup on my Harley when I added an oil pressure gauge. Upon cranking the engine the light goes out and pressure climbs immediately.

I have no comments on the the particle count test because its not required. Oil coming out of a refining and bottling facility will be in its best state.

I have to ask you and others that watched the video. Was it painful to listen to Lake being verbose and repetitive? It took him 9 minutes to tee up the first test. :sick::cry: I won't be watching this guy again.

I have to ask you and others that watched the video. Was it painful to listen to Lake being verbose and repetitive? It took him 9 minutes to tee up the first test. :sick::cry: I won't be watching this guy again.

I found him patronising and irritating. But I do appreciate Americans tend to be a little more 'animated' and 'excited' than us Brits so I battled through it. My FIL messaged me saying he lasted 2-3 minutes and gave up before asking me to view it and provide him with a summary. :ROFLMAO:

The guy clearly liked filling his oil filter and did poor, irrelevant tests to prove he was right.

But is that drill anywhere near as fast as the oil pump would have been spinning with the engine at idle? I never prefill my oil filters and the light goes out in less than a second, every time!
Who knows ... but the pump was turned at the same speed in each test to see the difference in time. Who knows, maybe the engine cranking would have turned the pump slower than the air tool did. An engine will typically fire-up and start running before full oil pressure is obtained, so once the engine starts running the pump will be driven much faster than the starter motor could drive it. In my own experience, on the same vehicle if I don't pre-fill the filter the oil pressure light takes about 4 seconds to go out, but if I pre-fill the filter the light goes off in 1-2 seconds. IMO, make the oil light go off ASAP if possible.

Last edited:
I found him patronising and irritating. But I do appreciate Americans tend to be a little more 'animated' and 'excited' than us Brits so I battled through it. My FIL messaged me saying he lasted 2-3 minutes and gave up before asking me to view it and provide him with a summary. :ROFLMAO:

The guy clearly liked filling his oil filter and did poor, irrelevant tests to prove he was right.
Cheers Bailes1992,
You described the video superbly . . . thank you.

I found him patronising and irritating. But I do appreciate Americans tend to be a little more 'animated' and 'excited' than us Brits so I battled through it.
So is Scotty Kilmer, but look at how huge his YouTube channel is. 😄

Hate to admit I liked Lake Speed more at first - but he’s suffering quantity vs quality already - once you commit to do so many clips - the mountain and molehill thing is bound to happen …

Good Morning dezlpwr,
No worries, all of us purchase products for a number of reasons and they are personal. I value peoples experiences with products and appreciate you sharing.

ZeeOSix shared they are driving the oil pump in the video, but I'm still skeptical of the guys in the video having the ability to design a test and therefore the results, to me are not valid.

It would have been much easier and a valid test if they simply would have removed the oil pressure sensor on the engine, installed a tee and put the sensor and a gauge on the tee openings. Then do the test by cranking the engine. This would have been a true test. I have this exact setup on my Harley when I added an oil pressure gauge. Upon cranking the engine the light goes out and pressure climbs immediately.

I have no comments on the the particle count test because its not required. Oil coming out of a refining and bottling facility will be in its best state.

All good bud! Everyone is entitled their own opinions. Yeah I'll take this Lake guy over Kilmer any day. 😂I'm sure you're waiting on pins and needles for me to post particle count comparisons of the K&P stainless mesh reusable oil filter and the Fram Ultra.😂 Stay tuned! Blackstone is taking forever as usual to process my sample. Should be any day now though. Same vehicle, same OCI, same oil. I suspect the particle count for K&P will be quite a bit higher but we shall see. 😎

Going off of that oil filter test, I'd rather run a more efficient filter than the BOSS. It's too bad they don't offer an Ultraguard in as big of one as the Wix 57045. The XG10575 is larger than the stock sized XG7317, but not as large as that Wix 57045 is.

I already got shipping confirmation.
10575 is what I was considering for the Pentastar since the Baxter remote unit makes more sense to me … (match my GM’s) …

However - the theory of wrenches being the lone cause of filter/cooler failures now seems more up for grabs …

Back