Battery woes

Hi guys I have napa legend 700cca battery that has when tested put down 619cca and I bought a battery tester on amazon and it says that I have 65% left in the battery.and also its Running 12.6 volts. Some people say keep on driving it and some people say replace any thoughts or ideas. What batteries are you guys running?

The advent of cheap home battery testers is causing a great many of these threads.

FWIW, Midtronics says 60% is marginal, 50% of original CCA is the replacement threshold.

I would suggest testing your battery every oil change, and keeping a lot, so you can spot trends. That tester is probably not terribly accurate, but if it's repeatable, you'll see when your battery takes a real turn towards the grave.

Incidentally the people running desulphators and trickle chargers to get seven years out of a five year battery are the same ones to not "trust" that they're going to successfully go beyond the average. So why bother?

Thank you for the advice, what kind of batteries are you guys running flooded agm etc....

..........What batteries are you guys running?

I have a similar tester. You can't use CCA test unless its cold - ie below 0F.

If you want to test it properly you need to use CA and follow this method. The other way will give you at best a rough estimate.

1) charge the battery. Take off the residual charge by turning on the headlights for like 30 seconds - maybe 60 if there LED's.

2) Remove the battery cables.

3) Test - using cranking amp setting - not cold cranking amps. Some batteries show CA and CCA some don't. IF yours does not multiply CCA x 1.25 = CA approximately. Close enough anyway.

If your below 60% of rated, then likely time to replace. Also check the internal resistance. Your tester should also list that. Below 5 mili ohms is great. Probably under 8 ish is OK. If its higher than 8 but still has good CA - might be OK - test again in a couple weeks. If its getting worse likely means there is an internal issue.

No expert - read a lot to get here.

Good luck.

Surprisingly it gets pretty cold here in the winter not 0f but close

I’ve had no problems running the Everstart maxx batteries from Walmart. Cheap and never an issue. I do tend to replace my batteries around the 5 year mark just because that is what I do

Hi guys I have napa legend 700cca battery that has when tested put down 619cca and I bought a battery tester on amazon and it says that I have 65% left in the battery.and also its Running 12.6 volts. Some people say keep on driving it and some people say replace any thoughts or ideas. What batteries are you guys running?
you can always just drive it like it is until you start to notice it cranks slowly. I bought a used Hyundai excel back in the day, someone had put a 300CCA lawn and garden tractor battery in it.. I drove it like that for 4 years.

Surprisingly it gets pretty cold here in the winter not 0f but close

It would be very, very unusual for Atlanta to get below 0°F.

Though certainly can and does happen... I'd bet it got close to that in early January 2018 possibly, early January 2014 possibly, February 1994 very likely, and definitely January 1985 and highly likely in December at Christmas time 1983 ..

In January 1985 on the 20-21st it got down to 2°F in Tallahassee Florida... I guarantee Atlanta was below zero F.

In my araa in southeast Va in December 1993 Christmas time it was 3° F Christmas am. High temperature that day was 14 degrees and the wind was really, really howling... The coldest day I have ever seen here in terms of wind chill factor.

Absolutest coldest temperature day was February 1994 where it was 5° F at 3 pm..... Supposed to be the warmest part of the day well... It was brutally cold. Though zero wind thank goodness.

Last edited:
Back