Battery Weed Wackers

I looking to replace my Stihl gas powered trimmer with a battery powered one. We moved and have a much smaller yard and my elderly father wants to help with the trimming so I want something a little less cumbersome. I have looked a the Battery Stihl but I know there are other brands out there. What do you have? What do you like? What do you dislike?
My gas powered one has the nylon "blades" instead of the strings one I prefer that if available.
Thank You

We have a Dewalt brand battery string line trimmer. I figure it's good for about 15 minutes of work before a 5ah battery is used up. As long as your yard is small enough that you don't need any longer run time then thaty, I say go for it. Totally no fuss, no muss.

Reactions: JC1
What cordless tools do you have?

I have a bunch of Milwaukee M18 tools already so a Milwaukee weed wacker & hedge trimmer were no brainers. Both are very capable.

It's not meant as a challenge. I'm interested in the performance. I built my house in 2004 and had 18V Dewalt accompaniment. I found the batteries then to be ok but not meant for a lot of work. I had drills that were really good but weaker when pounding in lags into wet pressure treated. But lasted all day with screws into Trex. Saw was really a convenience but the battery didn't last long on OSB and 2x was not inspiring.

I sold the old stuff for more than it was probably worth and bought a 24V set of circ saw, recrip saw, light, and 2 drills. The drills are awesome as they should be. I really felt improved power and battery tech with the staying power on the recrip saw and circ saw. Big difference. My needs are too large for a battery weed wacker but I read a lot of the battery-operated mowers and trimmers and wonder.....

I also question the battery cost. DeWalt hosed everyone with the 18V system by ensuring replacement batteries were almost as costly as they were when the 18V system first came out. That battery replacement made it more cost effective to buy the new 24V than replace a few 18V batteries for what I already owned.

I like the 40v Black & Decker trimmer and sweeper. I can trim the yard and blow the drive and walks off on one charge with some left over.

The best thing you can do for those batteries is keep them inside when not in use. I only have one battery for both and it's close to 5 years old and doesn't appear to loosing any power or run time.

I've been using a 56v Ego trimmer for 6-7 years. Charge lasts about 1.5 hours. I trim some heavy stuff along a stream and it works great. Last year I bought an Ego blower. I think it's 56V too. On high power it only lasts 30-35 minutes but there is a lot of power. You have to pick and choose your power setting depending on the job. Lower power gives you longer run time.

I have been using the Makita 36 volt trimmer for a season and a half. It is a beast and will cut through just about anything my gas trimmer will. Not cheap, but I have used the dickens out of it on large properties and I love it. I can get about 30-45 minutes out of a set of batteries (2, 18 volt) on low to medium speed. It has a lot of torque, so it cuts really well at a lower RPM than a gas trimmer.

Here's a pretty good review: https://www.protoolreviews.com/tool...ita-36v-x2-string-trimmer-review-xru18/54631/

I use a 120V AC corded electric trimmer. It's totally awesome and way more powerful than anything battery powered. It also cost less than half and I'm not constantly replacing or recharging worn out battery packs.

Good you have batteries. I have a Dewalt with a 5 Ahr battery. With the trigger held down continuously it lasts 32 minutes on low and 20 minutes on high. I don't do anything fancy with the charger. I charge it to 100% and put it away. That will light up all three bars. When I come back a month later it will still have all three bars lit. It has made it through two summers so far. It also powers my Dewalt reciprocating saw. The battery is still fine. The battery prices are coming down but Dewalt seems to be sell them in packs of two. I don’t need three. After two, it’s time for a beer. ;)

Last edited:
It's not meant as a challenge. I'm interested in the performance. I built my house in 2004 and had 18V Dewalt accompaniment. I found the batteries then to be ok but not meant for a lot of work. I had drills that were really good but weaker when pounding in lags into wet pressure treated. But lasted all day with screws into Trex. Saw was really a convenience but the battery didn't last long on OSB and 2x was not inspiring.

I sold the old stuff for more than it was probably worth and bought a 24V set of circ saw, recrip saw, light, and 2 drills. The drills are awesome as they should be. I really felt improved power and battery tech with the staying power on the recrip saw and circ saw. Big difference. My needs are too large for a battery weed wacker but I read a lot of the battery-operated mowers and trimmers and wonder.....

I also question the battery cost. DeWalt hosed everyone with the 18V system by ensuring replacement batteries were almost as costly as they were when the 18V system first came out. That battery replacement made it more cost effective to buy the new 24V than replace a few 18V batteries for what I already owned.
Do you mean DeWalt 20v batteries and not 24v? They created an adapter to use the 20v batteries on the 18v tools.

With my DeWalt 20v weed Wacker the 5amh battery is good to do my whole yard. I don't have a massive yard. I have multiple batteries as well for when needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210202-112256.jpg
    Screenshot_20210202-112256.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 4
Do you mean DeWalt 20v batteries and not 24v? They created an adapter to use the 20v batteries on the 18v tools.

With my DeWalt 20v weed Wacker the 5amh battery is good to do my whole yard. I don't have a massive yard. I have multiple batteries as well for when needed.
Even I could not have imagined this adaptor. Excellent.

Reactions: JC1
Back