Battery Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Impala with a AC Delco ACD34-60 685cca battery. Though I'm not having any trouble with the battery, I prefer to replace all car batteries after a max of 4 years. Michigan winters and summers tend to beat batteries up.

In the past, we have had good luck with Walmart and Sam's Club (Duracell) batteries. They were Johnson Controls in the past, but it is unclear to me as to who manufactures them now. Also, some of the reviews for the model 34's are not great (with mentions of the battery being shorter than stock, causing fit problems), so I'm less sure as to their quality.
Interestingly, some of the Sam's Club bats are now AGM. I admit that I'm not yet convinced that they are superior enough to warrant the increased cost.

I may be able to get an AC Delco locally, but haven't looked into it yet. I would guess they are pretty pricy.

So, the question is: are the Sams and Walmart bats ok? What other quality options do you recommend?

Many thanks.
Bob

I would not replace the AC Delco battery without testing it first. I have seen many OEM batteries including AC Delco and Motorcraft outlast any store bought batteries 2x times over. Maybe i am crazy but i have noticed that from looking at other peoples vehicles and what batteries they have in them and what date the stickers are.

If you insist on replacing it do you have a budget? Interstate batteries are pretty sweet.

If you buy from Walmart they usually have JCI batteries and are good too.

Autozone Duralast gold is JCI and a good battery too, you can often find online discount codes for them too.

Advance Auto parts has the best online discount codes and their Autocraft Silver/Gold batteries are certainly JCI.

If you buy before Feb 1st you can get an Autocraft gold with the $50 off discount code WD5 which takes $50 off $125 or you can check out the rest.

http://www.retailmenot.com/s/advance+auto?c=5490707

Advance Auto battery with discount code. On my last two batteries that was the best bargain.

Most of the Advance sizes are clearly made by Johnson Controls.

Last edited:
Gt something made by Deka or Enersys. Those are my top picks at the moment. They make lots of re-badged batteries, especially AGMs like Diehard Platinum (Enersys) and Batteries Plus' "X2-Power" AGM (Deka).

You're wasting money. The OEM battery is excellent. Mine is 9 years old and cranked the engine just fine. -9 here in Detroit Metro as I type.

I would get the battery tested with a decent conductive tester. If it says it has a high percentage of the new CCA then leave it for a year.

JCI batteries if they have cell caps have the 4 corners of each cell cap cut at a 45 degree angle, not rounded. I think Walmart MAXX in my area still is made by JCI. I think the Sams Club Duracell is Deka battery (still very good).

You need to look at the battery and label. They could source from different suppliers for different regions.

Lastly look at the back of the battery rack and get the newest mfg date.

I think your pro-active battery checking is a good idea. The conductive battery testers are not that expensive. They are not the high end Midtronics, but they are OK. I have a Solar (brand) one.

So check each battery in the fall and if it does not have 80% CCA then replace. Or maybe 85%.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
You're wasting money. The OEM battery is excellent. Mine is 9 years old and cranked the engine just fine. -9 here in Detroit Metro as I type.

+2 I have an original OE battery in my kid's 2008 Toyota that is still going strong. I have had them last 7 years.

Just replaced my OEM battery last month with an AGM from Batteries+. Yes, it cost more, but I don't have to buy any more distilled water for it. Don't expect to ever have to change it again. I've seen 2 regular batteries go bad here in Fl. that were only about 4 years old. The heat here is as hard on them as the cold up there.

The battery is most likely still good. Hydrometer test the water in it. If you want a new battery, go with interstate or autocraft. Great batteries for the money. And they last a long time as well. Mom's had an autocraft in her odyssey since 06 and still tests fine.

I'm using Interstate Duralast or Duramax cant exactly remember the name. It's their high end battery. Has been good in my F150, Camry, and Armada. 3 years on the F150 so far, 2 on Camry, 1 on Armada.

I think you should wait on changing the OEM battery. I've had OEM (Motorcraft) last 6-8 years before dying, actually the 8 year one I replaced because I thought it couldn't last much longer. Advance is pretty cheap with the discount code, but I had one die on me after only 3 years, got a second one through the pro-ration, but many new batteries don't have the pro-rated warranty anymore, just a standard two or three year warranty. Normally it's the high heat that kills a battery, they normally die in the winter because cold engines need more power to start and batteries put out less power in the cold. If you were in the deep south, then maybe 4 years would make sense.

Holy cow, you folks are fast!

I will just have it tested and plan to keep it for a while.

My electronics and mechanic background makes me suspicious (slightly paranoid) of batteries, so I have definitely replaced them prematurely. They begin a slow-motion death spiral right out of the factory and I have seen them cause some strange problems.
Like many BITOGers, my practical side always conflicts with my cheapskate, er, frugal side when making these decisions.

And it is good to know that there are still many quality options available. While I certainly don't mind paying for great quality, I still prefer "bang for your buck."

Stay warm,
Bob

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I think you should wait on changing the OEM battery. I've had OEM (Motorcraft) last 6-8 years before dying, actually the 8 year one I replaced because I thought it couldn't last much longer. Advance is pretty cheap with the discount code, but I had one die on me after only 3 years, got a second one through the pro-ration, but many new batteries don't have the pro-rated warranty anymore, just a standard two or three year warranty. Normally it's the high heat that kills a battery, they normally die in the winter because cold engines need more power to start and batteries put out less power in the cold. If you were in the deep south, then maybe 4 years would make sense.

Best thing with interstate. The warranty for free replacement and prorate starts over if you need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back