Battery powered snow blower

I have customers with them, and similar to battery mowers they are good for small driveways or for people who don't want to mess with gas engines. If you need to move a lot of snow or think you will buy one to save money, they aren't for you.

My EGO blower just failed to work in 22 degree NY weather.

I use the blower (not a snow blower, regular 650cfm blower) to clean the hangar out. We had some snow and it tends to pile up at the edge of the hangar door. I went out to our non heated hangar in MGJ, Orange County, NY, to clean up. I fully charged the battery last month and left it in the hangar shelf, not on the charger or tool. It had 3 bars out of 5, despite being fully charged when I left it. It failed to work at all. No signs of life, blower was not going to work.

I put the 56V, 5AH battery on the charger to see if that would help. It displayed a solid red light, which indicates "over temp" according to the legend by the light. It would not charge and I was unable to clean the hangar.

I took the battery and charger and blower to the office, and let it warm up overnight. It finally accepted a charge in the AM, and the blower worked again. Unfortunately, by then I had no time to drive back out to the hangar, as we were departing at 11AM.

My point is this, EGO has some form of protection circuitry. You MUST keep the battery warm for it to function at all. If you plan on blowing snow, charge and store the batteries inside somewhere warm. Only take them out to use them.

My EGO blower just failed to work in 22 degree NY weather.

I use the blower (not a snow blower, regular 650cfm blower) to clean the hangar out. We had some snow and it tends to pile up at the edge of the hangar door. I went out to our non heated hangar in MGJ, Orange County, NY, to clean up. I fully charged the battery last month and left it in the hangar shelf, not on the charger or tool. It had 3 bars out of 5, despite being fully charged when I left it. It failed to work at all. No signs of life, blower was not going to work.

I put the 56V, 5AH battery on the charger to see if that would help. It displayed a solid red light, which indicates "over temp" according to the legend by the light. It would not charge and I was unable to clean the hangar.

I took the battery and charger and blower to the office, and let it warm up overnight. It finally accepted a charge in the AM, and the blower worked again. Unfortunately, by then I had no time to drive back out to the hangar, as we were departing at 11AM.

My point is this, EGO has some form of protection circuitry. You MUST keep the battery warm for it to function at all. If you plan on blowing snow, charge and store the batteries inside somewhere warm. Only take them out to use them.
Good to know. So far the only people I know with them keep them in a heated garage and the battery is likely always on a charger.

Just going to leave this language from the EGO charging manual as well, as some of the earlier post is outlined in the manual:

NOTICE: This battery pack is equipped with an advanced self-maintenance function to extend the battery life. Depending on the battery charge, it will automatically perform a self-discharge operation after one month of storage. After this self-maintenance, the battery pack will enter sleep mode and maintain 30% of its charge capacity. If stored for a month or longer, fully recharge the battery before the next use.

Manual also states the battery must be between 37 and 135F in order to charge in the troubleshooting section...

With those things in mind storage long term storage in an unheated garage in cold climates will lead to charging issues.

Forcing a charge on a cold LiIon battery can cause it to explode. I don't know the specifics, but anyone using battery equipment should check this out before burning down a home or business.

Lithium ion batteries do not work below freezing. Use your cell phone outside in the cold and watch it shut off because it thinks the battery is out of charge. Warm it up and it will work fine again.

Manual also states the battery must be between 37 and 135F in order to charge in the troubleshooting section...
I found that out the hard way. These things are more than a little fickle.

My suggestion: Purchase gas powered tools for real work in truly cold conditions. Once that battery was cold, it was not going to charge or work.

In my previous life, working, lithium batteries had to be kept in the cab of my van if they were going to work in power tools. Left in the back in real winter temperatures they were a no go when occasionally called upon. No time to warm one up either in a customer's house, got to get it done and move on to the next call.
Same with my snowmobile clubs E saws. They are great to cut up the small blown down trees on the trail when out grooming BUT batteries need to be kept in the warm cab. E saw will have the job done before you can crank up and warm up the gas saw riding outside in the bed of the Gator at zero F.
14'' Milwaukee's, bigger gas saw onboard for the big stuff.

My work has a Worx GT electric snowblower they keep inside the office building. It doesn't get ripped off, the batteries stay warm, and there aren't gas fumes in the office space.

How's it work? No idea. Its goal is to get the sidewalks; a plow gets the plow stuff.

Yeah, the note on the cold weather limit on the battery was buried in the instructions for sure!

Ditto other comments - working in a cold climate, our lithium batteries for equipment are always kept in heated indoors or heated cab of a truck, and then if a spare is on you, it goes in a pocket inside a jacket to keep warm as long as possible...

You've got no clue about what's available for the consumer who is looking for 2 stage battery snow blower. Your so stuck on the idea that gas is the only way there's no convincing you otherwise so I'm done. Look at YouTube and realize that battery is an viable option for many people. Multiple hours of charging,nope again showing your lack of knowledge.
Having a toro 60 V lawnmower that can’t mow a normal city lawn without having to stop and recharge the battery. I passed on any battery snowblower. Sorry but gas is king.

I have no issue with electric blowers. The no gas and quietness is nice. Plus I’m sure they don’t have the same issues as those blowers with the plastic general transmissions. I love my mid 90s Craftsman. Its extremely Basic. Has snow chains, ultra reliable and simple disc drive, snow king engine which starts first pull every year, manual crank chute. It chews through anything in 1st gear. Plus parts are cheap.

Back