Going battery on the yard tools

How's the RYOBI mower doing ? Is it propelled ?
Just finished my first mow on the 40v ryobi mower.. very impressed put out plenty of power whisper quiet and is very torquey when needs to be. Only shaved off one led on the battery I'll easily get 2 maybe 3 mowes on a charge.

Just finished my first mow on the 40v ryobi mower.. very impressed put out plenty of power whisper quiet and is very torquey when needs to be. Only shaved off one led on the battery I'll easily get 2 maybe 3 mowes on a charge.
Price ? Know of someone wanting one .

$299 for mower with one battery, I picked up an extra original battery from eBay for $109. Shipped $118 much better than $199 depot sells for.

Last year I decided to start cutting my own lawn and bought Green-Works mower and trimmer. Been very happy with them. Already was using a Black & Decker leaf blower. I have a small lawn so battery operated was the way to go for me.

Last year I decided to start cutting my own lawn and bought Green-Works mower and trimmer. Been very happy with them. Already was using a Black & Decker leaf blower. I have a small lawn so battery operated was the way to go for me.
I’m very happy with my choice going electric as well.

Who has the strongest battery powered leaf blower ? Would also use it to remove light powdered snow from walk , drive and decks .

I switched to a Ryobi battery mower about 3 years ago, and couldn't be happier. I chose and use the Ryobi for hills as it is only about 40# where other battery mowers are not nearly as light. The Ryobi is a beast and will mow grass quite tall indeed. I get around an hour on a 5ah battery.
If I were to mow exclusively with a battery mower, I'd buy an EGO, they are the cadillac, and have quite a bit more power than most gas push mowers.

Who has the strongest battery powered leaf blower ? Would also use it to remove light powdered snow from walk , drive and decks .
I’d guess that the top shelf EGO is the most powerful. There are some YouTube tests that actually use objective criteria and accurate measurements. Despite the claims of equality, the best EGO blower is half as powerful as the best backpack blower (the big echo) however, that’s a pretty darn good result.

I took a course on forest fire suppression techniques today. We had to thin out piece of crown land (basically public land) for practise. We needed to thin out a bunch of young pine trees with 3 to 6 inch trunks. I had no trouble taking out 20 trees with my Dewalt reciprocating saw with my four year old 5 AH battery. And no, I don’t have an battery electric chainsaw. By the way, this is considered “Fire Safe”. Enjoy.

A3FAA43C-4EE7-4A22-90D1-B51A125F14A5.jpeg

Last edited:
While it's true, battery power density is no where near gasoline, you have to assess your needs. Think about it, how many times do you put your mower, trimmer, tractor, chainsaw, whatever away with fuel in the tank? Like always? I can't switch to a battery rider because I mow too much ground to use batteries, at least with today's technology. A blower, chainsaw or push mower, yes, I can live with an hour or two at a time because I don't mow or trim for longer than that. Even though I mow 5 acres, there's very little trimming to be done whether it be weedeater or push mower. It is so nice to not have to deal with oil and gas, and I can flip my push mower over and clean the deck with no worry of pouring oil out. It folds up for winter storage, what's not to like. Also, it has the power to mow tall grass with no big hassle. I know the battery blowers and chainsaws are not there yet, but that's simply a matter of time. Think about it, there was virtually no market for battery blowers and chainsaws just a few years ago, and now that's all changed, and I'm sure you'll see some big time advancements in battery tools.

Mrs DuckRyder bought a Ryobi 40 V string trimmer with blower attachment.

It isn't all bad and it is fairly impressive for battery (very much unlike my SIL black and decker 20V string trimmer) but it will not do the whole job in one charge (it does charge in 30-45 minutes) and a Stihl two stroke puts it to shame, even our "consumer" Kombi motor.

Cub Cadet is hocking battery zero turns here for close to double what a gas one would be and says they will do 2 acres and charge in 4 hours... i would not count on the 2 acres being realistic but for homeowner use it would probably serve most. They sit though because of pricing...
A coworker of mine just bought the cub. He had to wait 8 weeks for them to ship him a replacement key, as his arrived with it missing. Right now, he says the 2 acres is in target, and says it has plenty of power and is pleasantly quiet. I’m surprised, frankly, but he did pay out the nose for it. I just can’t fathom replacement battery cost. i can’t get more than 3-4 years out of a li-ion tool battery.

User update. The Makita mower has plenty of power, and the batteries last for the full yard (again, mine is small).

The Makita has a steel deck, and is heavy, though.

Durable, I imagine, but a heavier machine than I expected.

It’s remarkably quiet. Very pleasant to use.…a huge upgrade from the corded Black and Decker it replaced.

User update. The Makita mower has plenty of power, and the batteries last for the full yard (again, mine is small).

The Makita has a steel deck, and is heavy, though.

Durable, I imagine, but a heavier machine than I expected.

It’s remarkably quiet. Very pleasant to use.…a huge upgrade from the corded Black and Decker it replaced.
I haven't been able to try a Makita mower yet, but I've been happy with all the Makita tools I've owned/abused.

Back