Ryobi Battery String Trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a big yard and I'm looking at a Ryobi Battery String trimmer that the wife can use also. I have a 9 year old gas Ryobi string trimmer that has served me well but has become my nemesis as far as trying get it to run right for the money I put into it, and I replaced way too much already on it. I'm looking at a Ryobi 18V 4.0Ah unit. As far as battery powered OPE What's the real difference between 18 & 40 volt batteries and 1.5 Ah & 4 Ah batteries as far as performance. Again I have a small yard to deal with. Thanks!

Whimsey

Last year I purchased a WORX 40V string trimmer and I'm very happy with it.
I became tired of trying to keep my gas trimmers (various brands) running right.....but I attribute that partially to infrequent use.

I have a 3 yr old green 18v weed wacker. Not sure of the model, it's not listed on their site anymore. Does fine for my needs on a 4.0 battery. Does the fence line and still has 1/2 charge. Is a plus not smelling like gas/oil when I'm done.

40v are the better built for 'HD' home usage. The batteries are pricier too.

The 1.5 batteries are usually the starter kit size. They don't last too long. Depending on your yard size and needs, you might want to pick up some 4.0s or bigger.

If you have other power tools, look that way to consolidate battery costs.

Last edited:
I have both mower and trimmer by Ryobi, battery powered (5Amph and 4Amph respectively). Plenty enough of battery life to do the front, side (corner lot) as well as back yard. With that said, i'm pretty happy with the setup

I have an 18 V Ryobi string trimmer, 3 batteries and a half acre yard. For really heavy trimming I've used up all 3 batteries, though for a usual mow 1 is enough.

I've had it about 5 years and use it a lot. The battery and the trimmer are both still fine.

A small disadvantage is (for really heavy trimming) I sometimes have to manually extend the string. I've thought of trying heavier string but haven't done it yet.

I have the Ryobi Trimmer. With the 4Amph battery I can run the trimmer about an hour cutting weeds around my house. It does a great job. I have owned it 3 years.
I also own Ryobi drill motors and Blower. Everything shared the same One+ batteries.

Finally got to use the Ryobi battery string trimmer today. I used it to "mow" my front yard that is 40' X ~15-20'. Usually I use a manual reel mower but 2 weeks ago I had a very severe attack of sciatica and was laid up in extreme pain for almost 1 1/2 weeks. I hoped using the Ryobi would be less painful and not aggravate the sciatica more. The grass hasn't been cut in 2 weeks and we've had so much rain that the grass was real thick. The Ryobi cut through it easily and surprising cut it fairly evenly. It has a low and high speed setting. It's my first time using it but I have to say I'm impressed with how well it performs in thick grass even though it's the 18V model. The battery is rated 4aH so it should last for a while without needing recharging.

Whimsey

I think the trick to longevity for those batteries it to keep them in a controlled climate and put them back on the charger as soon as your are done. I keep mine inside the house on the charger when not in use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back