Battery, oh my

Never have had full confidence in the battery in my 2018 F-150. 5-7 times in 2.5 years the display on the radio hasn't come on right after a start but will come on in several minutes. When this is happening the fan speed can not be increased. This truck sat for 5 months before I was the first person to test drive it.

I pull mine up to the garage and use a 2 amp old BMW charger, that charges it at 2 amp initially for 15 minutes or so then drops to about 3/4 amp for several hours and then goes into float mode. I try to do this once a month during winter and then again during heavy use A/C season. After charging the vehicle feels better. Om
Hope a new battery fixes that for ya!

The stocker is not an agm. It’s a flooded H6, a common size for a lot of Europeans, and commonly spec’ed as agm, but not for all. an H7 or H8 will also fit the tray, only upsetting the battery blanket sized for the h6.

Actually it is an AGM and is labeled as such right on the battery. Part BAGM-48H6-760 or BAGM-94RH7-800 for the upper trims.

Thanks for all that replied providing insight on places and resources for coupons for this battery etc... The stocker is an AGM, and most auto parts stores online coupon codes exclude batteries. After going to two WM stores, pepboys, autozone, Advance, Napa and NO ONE had this battery in stock. I found what seems like the last one in my town at Oh Oh Oh O'Rileys.... Auto Parts last night about 2 minutes before they closed.
They were the 2nd from the most expensive @ 199.00 after core, add the felt pads, terminal spray and tax it ended up being 225.00 OTD.
A 35 for under $50 might fit, or I'd make it fit. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...attery-Group-Size-35-12-Volt-490-CCA/47308799 Or the Walmart H6 for $100 https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Plus-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-H6/49988402 or Pepboys for $120 https://www.pepboys.com/champion-auto-battery-group-size-h6/product/1767520

Yeah that describes my visit to buying batteries in the last 5 years. Heat and Humidity kills batteries, I got 7+years in Buffalo, NY with the car parked outside. Same spec battery when I lived in Houston lasted 2 years maybe 3.
Hmm, I don’t think humidity contributes to battery failures. That’s just an observation that in some climates the humidity is present with the heat. :)

Actually it is an AGM and is labeled as such right on the battery. Part BAGM-48H6-760 or BAGM-94RH7-800 for the upper trims.

Odd... mine was not. I pulled it out and it sloshed around. Mine was delivered to a dealer in Tennessee, shipped to Alabama when I bought it. What region was yours from? My truck is also an XL, the lowest of the trims.

Odd... mine was not. I pulled it out and it sloshed around. Mine was delivered to a dealer in Tennessee, shipped to Alabama when I bought it. What region was yours from? My truck is also an XL, the lowest of the trims.
I thought once Ford went with the start stop feature in 15 that they all had to be AGM. Maybe that’s some of the reason for reduced life.

My truck is also an XL, but its an STX FX4, it has sync 3, tow package w/ the puddle lamp mirrors etc... Basically, every option possible it has for a base work truck. So maybe thats why it has an AGM battery. Ford may think it needs one? IDK. Others said buy this or buy that non AGM battery but the CCA is lower on the non AGM. 760 CCA is what the AGM battery is and the H6 non AGM is 700. I wanted to go with the H7 but it was not in stock anywhere. My previous truck, (2002 Lariat) the recomended battery would last about 3-3 1/2 years but the optional, larger battery lasted about 5 years. Oh well, maybe next time the larger battery will be in stock.

My truck is also an XL, but its an STX FX4, it has sync 3, tow package w/ the puddle lamp mirrors etc... Basically, every option possible it has for a base work truck. So maybe thats why it has an AGM battery. Ford may think it needs one? IDK. Others said buy this or buy that non AGM battery but the CCA is lower on the non AGM. 760 CCA is what the AGM battery is and the H6 non AGM is 700. I wanted to go with the H7 but it was not in stock anywhere. My previous truck, (2002 Lariat) the recomended battery would last about 3-3 1/2 years but the optional, larger battery lasted about 5 years. Oh well, maybe next time the larger battery will be in stock.
So interesting... i wonder if it’s the tow package. mine has sync 3 and bucket seats, and the center console, larger gas tank and 4wd. No additional electrics. i wonder if the tow package gets an upgraded radiator fan, or if they are just anticipating another 10a of load from trailer lights and 6-12a of brakes...

I thought once Ford went with the start stop feature in 15 that they all had to be AGM. Maybe that’s some of the reason for reduced life.
I have no idea. I was selling a Volvo with a 2 year old agm H6. When I bought the truck I pulled it’s new H6 and it sloshed. I decided I’d rather keep the newer H8 agm, so I sold fords H6 in the Volvo. That buyer got a new battery! The H8 is running strong, entering its 4th year in the truck. it was a Beast to lift in to place.

I have no idea. I was selling a Volvo with a 2 year old agm H6. When I bought the truck I pulled it’s new H6 and it sloshed. I decided I’d rather keep the newer H8 agm, so I sold fords H6 in the Volvo. That buyer got a new battery! The H8 is running strong, entering its 4th year in the truck. it was a Beast to lift in to place.
I will have to check on Fords batteries from 15 on. I’m curious now

I got the Duracell at Sam's club for my 2014 Cruze diesel and it is dead. It only lasted 3 years to the month and it is an AGM. What should I try next?

Back