Battery, oh my

Battery needs replacing in my 2018 f150 w/ 5.0 v8. Online I went to advance, napa and pepboys to view prices and was shocked to see what batteries cost. Coscto does not sell a battery for the truck and the three auto parts stores are quite a bit more than walmart.
Walmart was the lowest @ 169 and Advance is the highest @ 227.00.

Do you park anywhere near a plug?

An inexpensive battery minder/tender/ maintainer will double the life you just saw.

Battery needs replacing in my 2018 f150 w/ 5.0 v8. Online I went to advance, napa and pepboys to view prices and was shocked to see what batteries cost. Coscto does not sell a battery for the truck and the three auto parts stores are quite a bit more than walmart.
Walmart was the lowest @ 169 and Advance is the highest @ 227.00.
Yes they are.. That's why 2020 marked an end of me going there.

Except maybe for my Purolator L14660 which costs $4.99

Is it an AGM battery? That's a reasonable price for AGM.

If you have a Pep Boys near you, they have an AGM Champion for $158 as another option...

Yes, its an AGM battery. PepBoys was 179 and looks exactly like the WM battery except for the stickers but WM is less $.

Champion AGM seems to be the current recommendation by guys here in the electrical sub-forum... I've had a number of WM EverStart batteries which have worked fine. When I compared H7 AGMs from WM and PepBoys (25% offer) the price difference was small.

I like the Sam's Club Duracell AGM H7 for my BMW @ $179. They had 3 in stock, and it has handles.

I've had very good luck with Interstate top tier. Sad for you the 2018 battery needs replacing. I'm still going strong on my 15 F150 original battery. Maybe it's the hot climate.

Yeah that describes my visit to buying batteries in the last 5 years. Heat and Humidity kills batteries, I got 7+years in Buffalo, NY with the car parked outside. Same spec battery when I lived in Houston lasted 2 years maybe 3.

AAP recently stopped allowing the discount codes for battery purchases. Happened soon after they paid millions of $$ For the DieHard name.

I intend my future battery purchases will be from Walmart.

The stocker is not an agm. It’s a flooded H6, a common size for a lot of Europeans, and commonly spec’ed as agm, but not for all. an H7 or H8 will also fit the tray, only upsetting the battery blanket sized for the h6.

unfortunately, anything in those H sizes run pretty high. Agm H8s approach $200. I have a 6 year old H8 running in my 3 year old 2018 F150 and it’s doing fine.

consider “Batteries Plus” if you have one near you. Surprisingly competitive, and they carry deka products. After buying my travel trailer battery there, they are now my first choice.

I actually just brought home 2 Costco batteries, H5 and 124R, former was C$110 and latter was C$125. Both come with 48mos replacement and 100mos prorated warranty. I got charged a deposit of $10 per battery which I get back when I take old batts back.
Both cars still had original batts that would be 7 y.o. (from driving off dealer lot) in Apr.

Thanks for all that replied providing insight on places and resources for coupons for this battery etc... The stocker is an AGM, and most auto parts stores online coupon codes exclude batteries. After going to two WM stores, pepboys, autozone, Advance, Napa and NO ONE had this battery in stock. I found what seems like the last one in my town at Oh Oh Oh O'Rileys.... Auto Parts last night about 2 minutes before they closed.
They were the 2nd from the most expensive @ 199.00 after core, add the felt pads, terminal spray and tax it ended up being 225.00 OTD.

The stocker is not an agm. It’s a flooded H6, a common size for a lot of Europeans, and commonly spec’ed as agm, but not for all. an H7 or H8 will also fit the tray, only upsetting the battery blanket sized for the h6.

unfortunately, anything in those H sizes run pretty high. Agm H8s approach $200. I have a 6 year old H8 running in my 3 year old 2018 F150 and it’s doing fine.

consider “Batteries Plus” if you have one near you. Surprisingly competitive, and they carry deka products. After buying my travel trailer battery there, they are now my first choice.
The stock H6 I removed is an AGM. Hope the new one lasts longer than 2years and 2 months like the orig MC unit.

I like Costco for car batteries. Good price and warranty.
Last time I looked at them, they had a few AGM batteries.
I buy interstate marine batteries for the boat at my local costco but the H6 is not available there. It would be my first choice if available.

I've had very good luck with Interstate top tier. Sad for you the 2018 battery needs replacing. I'm still going strong on my 15 F150 original battery. Maybe it's the hot climate.
Never have had full confidence in the battery in my 2018 F-150. 5-7 times in 2.5 years the display on the radio hasn't come on right after a start but will come on in several minutes. When this is happening the fan speed can not be increased. This truck sat for 5 months before I was the first person to test drive it.

I pull mine up to the garage and use a 2 amp old BMW charger, that charges it at 2 amp initially for 15 minutes or so then drops to about 3/4 amp for several hours and then goes into float mode. I try to do this once a month during winter and then again during heavy use A/C season. After charging the vehicle feels better. Om

Back