Battery insulation wrap or sleeve

Status
Not open for further replies.
To tell the truth, I've never really found them to be particularly useful. If there is a small opening, cold is going to get in there and since everything moves from warm to cold, you are heating the outdoors a lot, which doesn't work well. A heating pad directly under the battery (don't bother getting one oversized, undersized is actually better) works better in my experience than trying to wrap the thing somehow. Lead-Acid batteries often need venting, which is counter-productive if you're trying to keep it warm.

Usually a battery insulator is to keep spikes in engine room temps out of the battery... Batteries do not like to over-heat ...

You can use wet suit foam to insulate a battery. 3M77 adhesive and stick it on all four sides. Should be on there for the duration of the batteries life span
smile.gif

DEI makes a foil-backed battery wrap that can be cut to size. It's fairly easy to install, and I have reused the same kit. I already had some aluminum tape to fasten it with the second time.

I don't know if it really does anything but make me feel good. I added it to a Vibe that had no factory insulator.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Usually a battery insulator is to keep spikes in engine room temps out of the battery... Batteries do not like to over-heat ...

You can use wet suit foam to insulate a battery. 3M77 adhesive and stick it on all four sides. Should be on there for the duration of the batteries life span
smile.gif

Or just glue four promotional mousepads to the sides. Save your wetsuit money for pizza and beer.
cheers3.gif

"Someone" figured out the average car runs for half an hour or whatever and this foam helps keep the battery from heat soaking in that time. It costs them a dime and saves more than that in warranty costs.

If yours was a Group 96R, I can send you the one I took out of my wife's Mustang

When I upgraded my wife's Mustang from a Group 96R OEM battery to a Group 48 AGM battery, this is what I used on the Group 48.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/desi...ttery+insulator

After discount code & Speedperks reward it was cheaper than Amazon. YMMV

You can also peruse eBay for your battery group size.

Also curious for more details on the incident. Rodent related?

Bubble wrap?

Or bits of torn windscreen reflector stuff? (Curses, just threw some away)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
I'm interested in the accident. What happened?

I happened to it. Long day, frustrating repair and it was getting in my way.

The battery is a 96R mounted by the firewall on the drivers side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back