Battery for Gen9 Corolla

I bought the Costco Interstate for my Sister's 2006 Corolla...she parks outside at her apartment and it has survived just fine for 2 years thus far...replaced a regular Interstate that was 6 years old (in the car when she bought it)...I priced the usual suspects and the Costco one cost less than Walmart or Menards (their AC Delco version) and the Interstate is made by the same people who made the Walmart Everstart Maxx (Calories here...at the former JCI plant in Wisconsin)

Bill

That’s awesome, makes me feel a little more confident. Just picked one up for $55 and change. The serial # is starts with JCxxxxxxx. Does that mean I got a Johnson Controls battery?

I’ll be putting it in my R51 Nissan as mentioned in my previous post and swapping the 35 from that into my corolla.

Current plan is to replace the Pathy in the next couple of years with a GL450 and keep the corolla for a little longer as my commuter.

Does anyone know if a 26R will fit a Gen9 Corolla in the future? For reference, 490cca on a Value 35 vs. 540cca on a Value 26R vs. 585cca on a Value 24F.
I really have no idea. The car has been gone for nearly 18 months now give or take. I still see it at the customer site where one of the security guards purchased it, so it's still rolling. I have no idea if it's still on the battery or not.

It's been speculated that the cost difference is mostly about the lesser warranty. Who amongst us really knows. I know they work and I got about 4 years out of mine before I sold the car on to it's next owner. So at least three St Louis winters and summers were endured by the battery.

Edited to add, I was able to fit a 24F in my Mazda3 replacing the original group 35 battery.

A 26R is smaller in every dimension, so you should be able to fit it anywhere you use a group 35 battery. A 24F is longer and an 1/8" taller. It works in my Mazda because it has a battery box, so no terminals hitting the hood. If the box closes without the lid hitting the terminals, one is good to go.

Last edited:
The AAA battery? I have installed a AAA battery a long time ago, like back in 2014. Sadly this AAA battery doesn’t have warranty on it because I played switcheroo on batteries between by Pathy and corolla. This battery was originally on the Pathy and was installed by the PO.
No the cheap Walmart battery

Get the lowest CA or CCA rating possible. Lead plates are thicker meaning battery lasts longer. Tractor and heavy truck batteries use the same formula. Most starters only draw like 150-300 amps.

Those higher rated like 1,000CCA use ultra thin plates. More plates = more CCA. As you can see they don't last.

Take a tractor/farm battery for example. It will sit out in a field and fire right off. I started one last week that sat for 4 years.

Jsean, I'd get some of those felt washers for the battery posts since JC batteries can tend to corrode over time. The washers can help greatly with that. Walmart has them.

Interesting. The Costco interstate is 640cc for group 35 and 700cc for the group 24f. To be fair I wasn’t considering the Maxx battery line as an option though.
Gotcha. I paid $ 88 for my 725cca 24F maxx and they installed it for free with a 3 year warranty. I think they have sales often.

Last edited:
I really have no idea. The car has been gone for nearly 18 months now give or take. I still see it at the customer site where one of the security guards purchased it, so it's still rolling. I have no idea if it's still on the battery or not.

It's been speculated that the cost difference is mostly about the lesser warranty. Who amongst us really knows. I know they work and I got about 4 years out of mine before I sold the car on to it's next owner. So at least three St Louis winters and summers were endured by the battery.

Edited to add, I was able to fit a 24F in my Mazda3 replacing the original group 35 battery.

A 26R is smaller in every dimension, so you should be able to fit it anywhere you use a group 35 battery. A 24F is longer and an 1/8" taller. It works in my Mazda because it has a battery box, so no terminals hitting the hood. If the box closes without the lid hitting the terminals, one is good to go.
Sounds good. I’m thinking when the other 35 battery dies, I’ll switch to a 26R.
24F on the corolla is not a great fit because of the upper radiator hose. So it’ll be relegated to the Pathy as I had originally planned.

Gotcha. I paid $ 88 for my 725cca 24F maxx and they installed it for free with a 3 year warranty. I think they have sales often.
Interesting. Any idea how many times a year do the batteries at WM go on sale?

Reactions: FZ1
Back