Battery for Gen9 Corolla

Car in question is my 05 corolla. With the recent 0F nights we’ve been having, the batteries are taking a beating here.

This morning she gave up half way through the first cranking attempt and had a long crank on the 2nd attempt.

After driving the car about 30 miles, local advance auto measured the battery at 12.2V. Their little tester machine indicates the alternator is fine.

So I’m thinking here are my 2 options in terms of replacement battery:
1. Walmart value battery, 1 yr replacement at $64.88
2. Interstate battery at Costco, 3 yr replacement at $99.99

Folks here have a preference one way or another?

Thanks!

I've used cheap value batteries but only down to 30-40f and they're fine but for a hundred i think I'd get the interstate.

Ok awesome. That’s what I was thinking too, but just wanted to check.
I’m curious though if anyone on here has used a Walmart value battery and have it last the usually 5-6 years?

The current battery is from AAA is about to be 4 years old next month.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle awhile, for $100, I too would go 3yr Costco Interstate.

Haven't seen any anecdotes of the Value battery going 5-6 years. Imo, that would be a very lucky replacement life stretch. If one gets 3 years out of one, that's not a bad ROI. ~2.5 years wouldn't upset me.

A little over 3 years on a Walmart Value battery, 24f. Made by East Penn and I put it on a 3 amp charger regularly. Takes about 20 mins to show a full charge. I emailed East Penn to see what stores carry their batteries and they replied back with a list of locations. Since only some of the stores around here carry their products.

Had two years on another one but traded that vehicle in.

Car in question is my 05 corolla. With the recent 0F nights we’ve been having, the batteries are taking a beating here.

This morning she gave up half way through the first cranking attempt and had a long crank on the 2nd attempt.

After driving the car about 30 miles, local advance auto measured the battery at 12.2V. Their little tester machine indicates the alternator is fine.

Thanks!
Walmart max is a 3 yr warranty. You want the most cca. My 24f is 725, what's the interstate? Walmart installs for free.

Thanks!
A Corolla that is 17 years old, how long you keeping it? Another 5 years, get the more spendy battery. Otherwise, get option #1.

Nothing wrong with the cheap Wal*Mart batteries. I ran one for 4 years in my 99 Grand Marquis. At 2-3 years old, it started the car just fine in -5F temps.

That battery was still in the car when I sold it in August of 2020 (for more than I paid for it, LOL!)

Have you checked in store? WM Value batteries are often $55 despite showing more online.

That car should start with just about anything, including the group 35 recommended. Look at what Honda uses in the Civics, it's like 3/5 the size! But at 12.2 volts after driving, the one you have won't start for very much longer.

If the WM Value were an Exide would be the only reason I'd pass. The serial number (and case shape) will tell you.

A Corolla that is 17 years old, how long you keeping it? Another 5 years, get the more spendy battery. Otherwise, get option #1.

Nothing wrong with the cheap Wal*Mart batteries. I ran one for 4 years in my 99 Grand Marquis. At 2-3 years old, it started the car just fine in -5F temps.

That battery was still in the car when I sold it in August of 2020 (for more than I paid for it, LOL!)

Nice! That’s the good to know. Would you happen to know if the serial number started with JC?

Have you checked in store? WM Value batteries are often $55 despite showing more online.

That car should start with just about anything, including the group 35 recommended. Look at what Honda uses in the Civics, it's like 3/5 the size! But at 12.2 volts after driving, the one you have won't start for very much longer.

If the WM Value were an Exide would be the only reason I'd pass. The serial number (and case shape) will tell you.
Thanks for suggestion! I stopped by the local Walmart and the value battery was $55.
Picked up a 24F value battery, 585cca. I’ll switch this over to my R51 and put the group 35 battery from that into the corolla in the future. How does one know if it’s an Exide or not?

That’s awesome, makes me feel a little more confident. Just picked one up for $55 and change. The serial # is starts with JCxxxxxxx. Does that mean I got a Johnson Controls battery?

I’ll be putting it in my R51 Nissan as mentioned in my previous post and swapping the 35 from that into my corolla.

Current plan is to replace the Pathy in the next couple of years with a GL450 and keep the corolla for a little longer as my commuter.

Does anyone know if a 26R will fit a Gen9 Corolla in the future? For reference, 490cca on a Value 35 vs. 540cca on a Value 26R vs. 585cca on a Value 24F.

Ok awesome. That’s what I was thinking too, but just wanted to check.
I’m curious though if anyone on here has used a Walmart value battery and have it last the usually 5-6 years?

The current battery is from AAA is about to be 4 years old next month.
I didn't think they have offered that battery that long.

An exide battery will be leaking acid pasts its posts, LOL. But seriously you can tell from the vent cap shapes and a couple other clues.

Look at the positioning and polarity of the posts, the "R" In 26R means reversed from normal. If your cables are long enough it won't matter much.

Walmart max is a 3 yr warranty. You want the most cca. My 24f is 725, what's the interstate? Walmart installs for free.
Interesting. The Costco interstate is 640cc for group 35 and 700cc for the group 24f. To be fair I wasn’t considering the Maxx battery line as an option though.

Reactions: FZ1
I didn't think they have offered that battery that long.
The AAA battery? I have installed a AAA battery a long time ago, like back in 2014. Sadly this AAA battery doesn’t have warranty on it because I played switcheroo on batteries between by Pathy and corolla. This battery was originally on the Pathy and was installed by the PO.

An exide battery will be leaking acid pasts its posts, LOL. But seriously you can tell from the vent cap shapes and a couple other clues.

Look at the positioning and polarity of the posts, the "R" In 26R means reversed from normal. If your cables are long enough it won't matter much.
Lol good to know. The 26R will fit fine - just from my eye balling in the future.
This one I got definitely isn’t leaking and has dry battery posts, along with serial number of JCxxxxxxxx which makes me believe it’s a Johnson Controls battery.

Back