Battery for 2004 Taurus

Wanting to pick up a new battery for my moms Taurus, the one in it is several years old. She makes an 80-100 mile commute daily so I want to make sure it’s reliable. Looks like the two options are a group 65 and 36r. Does anyone make an agm battery in either size? The majority of what I usually see are all group 31 or larger batteries and the smaller automotive sizes are confusing me. I figure I can get a good quality battery for $150 or less. Maybe not?

So far so good on the value group 65 batteries from WM. I doubt the vehicle needs a lot of juice to start, and the long drives will keep it as topped up as is feasible.

If the battery dies, you still have the inconvenience of dealing with it, I dont know that it gets that cold in SW MO, may be wrong. So I’d look at the value and regular Everstart batteries, as well as their equivalents at other stores. Highest cca can mean thinner plates that shed easier. Heavier batteries with thicker plates can be more robust.

dont fret NON agm batteries, my aunts 99 jeeps flooded went 7 years + she drove little. bigger is better in the COLD but be sure its "fresh" many flooded batteries are stored DRY + ACTIVATED as needed, a GOOD thing for sure + fully charging before installation is best + longer daily drives make batteries live LONGER!! a friend had a bought new F150 years ago + 10 years for his battery as he drove 100 or so miles DAILY for construction!! be sure to keep flooded batteries topped up with DISTILLED water

I would just get the 36R, that's the same battery I had in my 2001 Taurus. The other batteries are actually smaller, the 36R has more CCA than the 58 and it's a 71 amp hour battery vs 60.

So far so good on the value group 65 batteries from WM. I doubt the vehicle needs a lot of juice to start, and the long drives will keep it as topped up as is feasible.

If the battery dies, you still have the inconvenience of dealing with it, I dont know that it gets that cold in SW MO, may be wrong. So I’d look at the value and regular Everstart batteries, as well as their equivalents at other stores. Highest cca can mean thinner plates that shed easier. Heavier batteries with thicker plates can be more robust.
When I sold group 31 batteries I would always ask what the trucks application was. We could step down to a 650cca vs a 950cca and they would last longer on average in severe service/regional use. If the truck ran northeast or more northern states I recommended a 950. It could mean the difference in getting it started again in the cold.

Why are you replacing it? Have you had it load tested? Her driving mode is the easiest there is on batteries. It could easily last another several years.

Why are you replacing it? Have you had it load tested? Her driving mode is the easiest there is on batteries. It could easily last another several years.
He's in a hot state, they don't last as long in a hot state. Cold states you can have batteries lasting much longer. But yeah, probably get it load tested, only way to really know. Otherwise it's just a waste of money to replace it before it's needed.

Several reasons actually, we’ve kept track of when batteries were replaced on this car and this one is at the end of its life when compared to the rest, Second this car has a history of frying an alternator when the battery gets weak. Third, the car is cranking slower than it normally does in the cold weather we’re experiencing right now. Fourth, she stated that all she wants for Christmas is her car checked over before the worst winter weather gets here.

Just get a Super Start 65 series. There are OReilly and Parts City stores all over Missouri where you can get them warrantied out. I run a Super Start 65 series in my F150 and it appears to be East Penn built.

I second this. I went through several WM Maxx batteries over the years, but in the few years, they seem to be getting worse in their reliability. Last one I used was 3 years ago and didn't last a year...and it was a warranty replacement for another WM Maxx that died in 2 years. Put in an O'Reilly Super Start AGM....been perfect.

Only considered Super Start because I had a "normal" flooded Super Start lawn mower battery last almost 7 years before it gave up the ghost...that and it's an East Penn made battery. Had crappy experiences with Exide made stuff on my boat....they're a non-entity now. And since Johnson Controls was sold, just don't trust them any longer. East Penn these days.

Here is a pic of a new one. 36 month free replacement.

5C58AED2-EF52-4C6A-804D-E10A5104524C.jpeg

Several reasons actually, we’ve kept track of when batteries were replaced on this car and this one is at the end of its life when compared to the rest, Second this car has a history of frying an alternator when the battery gets weak. Third, the car is cranking slower than it normally does in the cold weather we’re experiencing right now. Fourth, she stated that all she wants for Christmas is her car checked over before the worst winter weather gets here.

I agree with you one hundred percent...

When it comes to mom's vehicle, daughters vehicle, grandma's vehicle, wife's vehicle, sister's vehicle...

Preventative maintenance is very very important.

I talked with a ( candidly ) very pretty blonde lady I worked with Diane who had a car with a battery that was near six years old. . . I told her she should go ahead and replace it. It was tested and it was indeed shaky... She did go on and replace it. And she thanked me for reminding her to do that... Diane was a wonderful lady to work with and I wanted her to be safe....

Back