Battery explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little over 30 years ago I was helping a friend wash and wax and work on a Chevy K10. He had removed the battery, to clean the engine compartment. Afterwards, he cleaned the battery cables and battery terminals and reinstalled and reconnected everything, and had the hood still open. I was waxing the right fender, standing next to it, and he tried to start the truck so it would dry water off the engine. When he did, the battery exploded. The top of the battery, as well as its load of acid, hit the underside of the hood. The top bounced out in front of the truck, but most of the acid sprayed back and hit me in the entire left side, from head to toe. Luckily, the water hose was nearby. and I hadn't gotten any acid in my eyes. I hosed myself off as well as I could, to the point I was completely soaking wet. My left ear was ringing from the noise. I went home and washed my clothes. When I took them out of the washer, the left side of my jeans and t-shirt looked like swiss cheese.

Originally Posted by Piston_slap
Wouldn't the explosion need a spark or open flame to cause it? I'd guess an intermittent cell strap or maybe a loose post clamp?

yes.
a bad interconnect or a loose plate weld generating a spark inside at a point where the battery has hydrogen oxygen mix just right and BOOM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back