Basic, self-propelled push mower recommendation?

This. Once you use Personal Pace it's hard to go back. I forget what engine options they have with the blade brake clutch models, but both the Briggs and the TXP engine are nice. The TXP is a Chinese clone but seems very smooth. I have a Honda GCV on mine, but unfortunately it wasn't one of the engine choices with the blade brake at the time.

Different strokes I guess but I hate personal pace.

Never owned a Honda but when I was looking to upgrade from my 22" Recycler I test drove this Honda, granted it was only around the dealer's shop but what I didn't like is the lever to make it go, just the few minutes I tested it it was uncomfortable to push that lever with your thumb.

I to suggest a Toro Recycler and if you can afford it get the Super Recycler. I think the Toro TXP engine is a step or two better than a Briggs.
The Honda's thumb drive actuation can be adjusted so that it is comfortable to use. I agree with you that the way that they are adjusted as they come out of the box makes the mower VERY uncomfortable to use. The dealer should have known this and adjusted it before you tested it.
IMO the Toro TXP engine isn't really any better than the Briggs. It is manufactured for Toro by Loncin corporation in China and is almost identical in design to the Predator engines (also manufactured by Loncin and sold by HFT) both of which are clones of the Honda GXV engine. In addition to a possible higher profit margin, IMO Toro is hedging it's bet that Briggs could potentially go under (as they have been in trouble for several years).

Last edited:
The Honda's thumb drive actuation can be adjusted so that it is comfortable to use. I agree with you that the way that they are adjusted as they come out of the box makes the mower VERY uncomfortable to use. The dealer should have known this and adjusted it before you tested it.
IMO the Toro TXP engine isn't really any better than the Briggs.
I would rather the TXP engine - cast iron sleeve engine and has metal carburetor bowl

I would rather the TXP engine - cast iron sleeve engine and has metal carburetor bowl
Yes, the TXP has a cast iron sleeve, and it also has a ball bearing on top, neither of which will guarantee a longer life in residential use. The Briggs Quantum on my 27 year old Toro has neither of them and is still going strong with minimal maintenance. There isn't anything wrong with a plastic float bowl. They have been in use for many years and don't really have any drawbacks that I have been able to ascertain.

It also has crank bearings instead of bushings. You have to get into Honda's commercial line to get the cast iron sleeve and bearings if I remember right, I may be wrong since it's been 6/7 years since I researched all this.

I'm not saying anything bad about Honda and their engines, I just have never owned one. Guys that have them love them.

The last Briggs I had was on a 22" Recycler and was a 190cc, the only issue I had with it was it was hard to start after it had been running for a while. If I shut it off to grab a drink of water sometimes it would take several pulls to get it going again.

It also has crank bearings instead of bushings. You have to get into Honda's commercial line to get the cast iron sleeve and bearings if I remember right, I may be wrong since it's been 6/7 years since I researched all this.

I'm not saying anything bad about Honda and their engines, I just have never owned one. Guys that have them love them.

The last Briggs I had was on a 22" Recycler and was a 190cc, the only issue I had with it was it was hard to start after it had been running for a while. If I shut it off to grab a drink of water sometimes it would take several pulls to get it going again.
I have the problem with my mower too

Yup, the GCV engines are just aluminum bore with a bushing instead of ball bearing. I prefer them because they are quiet and start easily, but I'd say the Toro engine and the Briggs have the edge in torque. I have a Toro engine in my 721R snowthrower and it is identical to a Predator. I beat the snot out of that thing and it has done well so far.

Different strokes I guess but I hate personal pace.
For sure, all personal preference. I encourage anyone buying a mower to try the different self propel systems and see what is comfortable for them. I have several customers who only prefer FWD because they feel it is easier to use when trimming or around trees, and some others who prefer push-only mowers because they are lighter.

What don’t you like about it?

Sorry for the late response.

Hard to describe, I think it is the fact that I feel like I am pushing. It also makes it harder for me when trimming around things. I've posted a few times that I have one of these that we use at a family members house, every time I use it I wish I had bought another Honda.

Before the Honda I had a JD but both of them had similar drive that goes at a set speed. I'm also pretty spoiled by the Honda ability to stay running and stop the blade.

Sorry for the late response.

Hard to describe, I think it is the fact that I feel like I am pushing. It also makes it harder for me when trimming around things. I've posted a few times that I have one of these that we use at a family members house, every time I use it I wish I had bought another Honda.

Before the Honda I had a JD but both of them had similar drive that goes at a set speed. I'm also pretty spoiled by the Honda ability to stay running and stop the blade.
Once youve had a Honda with the blade clutch, it will spoil you for ever using anything else. Its expensive but worth every penny, IMO.

I have a Troybuilt push mower that has been absolutely solid. It needs wheels, but otherwise, I have only done an air filter and a blade. I've owned it over 15 years and it has gone through years of good maintenance and years of being ignored. My youngest son mowed yards for money with it for a couple years as well.

It does prefer 5W-30 Synthetic to SAE30.

I also have a Troybuilt generator that has also been solid. I had to change the breakers on it, as they wore out, but it starts first pull and runs fantastic the times I needed it. It ran solid for a week in 2020.

Yup. If I had thought of it back then I would have purchased a 2nd one as a spare/backup. I did purchase a second Toro Super Recycler with the Personal Pace drive system and while it's built like a tank and has been flawless as well, it does not get as much use as it's older brother. My wife prefers the older Toro to the new one for some reason. Now before I get jumped on, I don't make my wife mow the lawn. She does it for exercise and stress relief.
A good wife should cut the lawn. There is nothing more exciting than a woman cutting the lawn.

Back