basement sump pump

Good morning and happy Thanksgiving BITOG.

I am seeking input and recommendations on a replacement 1/2 hp sump pump. Current model is a Basement Watchdog branded pump (model number is unreadable) that is paired with a Basement Watchdog battery back-up system. Recently replaced the battery in the back-up system and while doing so noticed the sump pump was starting to show its age. During periods of wet weather highest usage would be up to 25 times an hour for 24 to 48 hours and then go for months without any use. I have been reading reviews online and trying to determine which brands offer quality construction and durabilty. I am hopeful several of our members here will have some firsthand experiences either personally or professionally on which pumps, material used (stainless steel, cast iron, and so on) and features are most desirable.

I've been using 1/3 hp Zoeller pumps for decades with no issues (first preference). My second choice would be Liberty pumps. Both are well established U.S. companies. I also have a Zoeller battery backup system and am pleased with it also. Both of these companies are very high quality at moderate prices and good availability. In my workplace greenhouses I use Little Giant pumps in my cool pad systems with excellent success. I recommend all 3 brands with no reservations.

Keep in mind that this is an online sales sight, but it is a good place to educate yourself: https://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/
I recently noticed that Lowes is selling Zoeller pumps.

EDIT: I agree with Rand that you should evaluate if a 1/3 hp might be more appropriate.

Last edited:
In this part of the country you won't find any basements so I'm not experienced with dealing with that issue . I would assume that with it being so important that you guys would keep a spare pump on the shelf for emergency change outs in case of a failure during a hard rain ?

In this part of the country you won't find any basements so I'm not experienced with dealing with that issue . I would assume that with it being so important that you guys would keep a spare pump on the shelf for emergency change outs in case of a failure during a hard rain ?
I do not but have thought about it. My pump is 20 years old so I've been thinking about replacing it with a new one and would keep the old one on a shelf. The higher probability is losing power during a storm and needing battery back-up.

Good morning and happy Thanksgiving BITOG.

I am seeking input and recommendations on a replacement 1/2 hp sump pump. Current model is a Basement Watchdog branded pump (model number is unreadable) that is paired with a Basement Watchdog battery back-up system. Recently replaced the battery in the back-up system and while doing so noticed the sump pump was starting to show its age. During periods of wet weather highest usage would be up to 25 times an hour for 24 to 48 hours and then go for months without any use. I have been reading reviews online and trying to determine which brands offer quality construction and durabilty. I am hopeful several of our members here will have some firsthand experiences either personally or professionally on which pumps, material used (stainless steel, cast iron, and so on) and features are most desirable.
I would be more concerned if the pump hardly ran during wet weather.

You might also want to check or install a check valve which will prevent already pumped out water from returning back towards the pump and refilling the crock..

A hearty recommendation for a zoeller. I messed around with big box store brands, ended up replacing pumps shortly out of warranty. Ponied up and went with a zoeller and haven't looked back for over a decade... best advice I ever got from a plumber.

I have installed hundreds of Zoeller M53D sump pumps in my career which spans 40 years. And I can only recall two failures. Liberty is ok. But I have seen a bad run of those units.

I've got a Zoeller M57 in my pit, and a second one on the shelf with the first few feet of plumbing pre-attached and ready to go. One ring clamp and a power connection and we're back up and running in the event of a pump failure. The current pump is dated early 2020 (we bought the house mid-2021) and it's still going strong. The very slow trickle into our pit rarely stops due to a high water table, and volume increases quite a bit during sustained rainfall.

I do still need to figure out a battery backup solution.

I have installed hundreds of Zoeller M53D sump pumps in my career which spans 40 years. And I can only recall two failures. Liberty is ok. But I have seen a bad run of those units.
I, too have had great success with Zoeller M53's on a much smaller scale. But to be fair, if I remember correct, Zoeller had a bad run of switch problems about 10 years ago. I remember talking with a company tech. a few years later and he said they sourced some bad switches, but that was resolved.

Zoeller does recommend replacing the switch every so often. I never did and just replaced the whole unit every 15 years or so.

On my last replacement, I moved up to the M63 that claims to have a better switch.

I have no experience with Liberty, but my local commercial plumbing jobber claims they have equal success with both Zoeller and Liberty (for what its worth). Like all things, one has to carefully judge our anecdotal stories (in this case, an occasional bad apple does not spoil the barrel).

Thanks for all the great replies. Looks like I have some more reading to do. I think having a back up pump available also seems prudent. During heavy rainfall the volume into the pit is considerable causing the pump to run frequently as previously mentioned. Seems like it will run for 45 seconds to a minute to clear the pit. I am guessing it is moving the water about 30 linear feet before it exits the house and into the exterior tubing outside the house which when all the pieces are full connected is another 25 feet or so.

I also echo the thoughts regarding Zoeller pumps but I have also had excellent service using Wayne sump pumps. They also make excellent utilty pumps.

Back