ball end hex keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into getting a set of hex keys, mainly for working on bicycles. I noticed that some have the ball end on one side. What is so special about that design? Thanks.

They are supposed to allow you to get the bolt loose even if you can't get a straight shot at the bolt. My experiance with them is that the ball breaks off in the bolt which becomes a big problem.

The ball end is good to have. It's pretty rare that I need to use a cheater bar to torque that end of the key, so I've never broken one.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
The ball end is good to have. It's pretty rare that I need to use a cheater bar to torque that end of the key, so I've never broken one.
I can break my Cornwell or Mac ones with 1 hand and a 3/8 ratchet.

If it's for bicycles, then I doubt you'll use enough torque to break the ball ends off. And they may turn out handy to have.

Of course, I have the not ball end ones, and the grass is always greener on the other side.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
I'm looking into getting a set of hex keys, mainly for working on bicycles. I noticed that some have the ball end on one side. What is so special about that design? Thanks.

I've never needed the ball end. In fact, I don't own a single ball end hex key.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: rpn453
I can break my Cornwell or Mac ones with 1 hand and a 3/8 ratchet.

I'm glad you clarified, I was thinking you were breaking "L" keys. It takes some manly hands to torque the ball end off an "L" key.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I'm glad you clarified, I was thinking you were breaking "L" keys.

Me too. I've never even seen ball-end hex sockets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back