Baldwin Filters Any Good?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this question has been asked before, but ended up as an Amsoil/Hastings/Baldwin comparison. I have found a local source that sells Baldwin filters for $4 each. Does anyone have experience with these filters, are they any good?

Thanks!

After cutting open a bunch of filters for combines, tractors, trucks, and cars, I would say that nobody makes a more solidly constructed filter than Baldwin. My 1st choice for farm equipment and my own personal vehicles.

Baldwin customer service is head and shoulders above anyone else I've dealt with. The company is rock solid, and specializes in commercial heavy duty filters.

www.baldwinfilter.com

Rooster is right on... I use Baldwin for the Hydraulic Filter on my tractor and on several of my cars... They also make Hastings Filters and some private labels.. They are a division of Clarcor which is the parent company of Purolator... There main plant is in Kearney, NE, I have been to the site since I am in Nebraska, would like to get a tour of the plant some day when I am out that way. They specialize in filters for heavy duty equipment and trucks... you find them mainly at truck supply centers, however, they make a filter for every car as well... You will be impressed with the quality...

Rooster/Surge,

Thanks for the great feedback, now I know what my new filter of choice is....

Have Merry Christmas!!

Scott

Anyone know a place which will sell a case (10 or 12) of Baldwin/Hastings cheaply?

Since we don't have a filter sponsor (that I know of) can someone recommend a wholesaler? Post a link or Private Message me.

--- Bror Jace

If you guys can bear with me - I am attempting to set up as a seller of Baldwin filters. Unfortunately the holidays have slowed me down.

I should know more soon.

While Hastings may be owned by Baldwin, thier products are not the same filters painted with diffenent logo's, no more than Cadillac is a Chevy. They all cater to certain part of the market.

Just because some companies are all owner by larger comapny does not mean they all market the same products under different names. Its just a larger corp buying up the competition.

We're not really sure yet either way. There's a good chance some of Amsoil's filters are the same but they could be totally different. Baldwin has more than one line and quality/features vary. The one I'm waiting for is their B2-HPG. It's higher quality than their standard line and very similar to Amsoil's 15. Should know soon if holiday shipping ever recovers. Not that it matters much; the price is within ~$1.

David

Thanks, Pablo. Since I might be switching cars fairly soon, I'm not in a hurry to stock up right now.
wink.gif

Mike said: "While Hastings may be owned by Baldwin, their products are not the same filters painted with different logos, no more than a Cadillac is a Chevy. They all cater to certain part of the market. Just because some companies are owned by a larger company does not mean they all market the same products under different names. It's just a larger corp buying up the competition."

While there's some merit to what you're saying, the economics of production push manufacturers into consolidating product lines.

Let's take a Honda Civic filter. I've seen both Baldwin & Hastings filters for this application. Both are well made pieces. Why would you source parts independently and maintain two distinct production lines? That's inefficient ... and this is a price competitive business.

While different brands under one owner may run parallel operations for years (usually following a merger or aquisition), any repsonsible company should eliminate redundancy as much as possible. It's the responsible thing to do.

I agree that they may decide that Baldwin is a stronger name in the industrial sector while Hastings has a great reputation among passenger cars. And it may be right now that some filters for the same applications are different, but the goal should be to eliminate as much duplication of effort, redundant part numbers, etc ... and that means manufacturing one filter for each specific application. As long as they pick the better of the two designs, I don't see a problem.

Again, this doesn't mean they need to cheapen their line ... unless they want to make it clear that one brand is of a higher quality than the other. But last I checked, this wasn't the case with Baldwin/Hastings.

Of course, making a cheaper filter is a way to broaden your appeal because few store owners will stock only a premium line of filters. They are afraid of alienating their customers who balk at paying more than $3 for an oil filter.
rolleyes.gif

On the other hand, I buy only high quality products and salute companies who cater to my elitist desires.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back