Baked on carbon

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been working on the wife's Explorer for a little bit now. It does have the 3.5L Ecoboost which I've heard is pretty notorious for this but the exhaust tips are horrendous. They were originally polished stainless and when we bought it were completely matte black from carbon (not paint). Since then I've made HUGE improvements with a couple degreaserings followed by chrome polish. I used a wool applicator on my cordless drill, which has been my go-to for other similar tasks. Overall, again, huge progress but it seems I have plateaued. For the most part they look pretty decent, but there are a couple of very heavy, solid and thick sections of baked on carbon remaining.

Further polishing does not seem to touch this. Nev-R-Dull does nothing. Turtlewax chrome polish doesn't yield further results. Meguiars chrome polish also has hit the plateau. I've a little hesitant to go with a true abrasive. My only other thoughts would be to look at some gun products designed for carbon fouling.

Heat them up and spray with oven cleaner (Sodium Hydroxide). Follow directions on can.

0000 steel wool and chrome polish together may help, the 0000 is fine enough that polishing afterwards with something softer will bring it to a mirror.

Well, after reading some firearms forums about Kroil and carbon and hit the tips with my aerokroil and some fine steel wool. Worked pretty darn good. Maybe not perfect but only spent a few minutes on each tip followed by a shop towel buffing and they are looking good!

Originally Posted By: Donald
I liked the oven cleaner suggestion.
Works great. They don't call it Easy Off for nothing.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back