Bad set of continental dsw06’s

So about 4,200 miles ago I replaced my crappy worn down to 2-3/32 falken factory tires at 22K. Put a set of dws06 on the Mazda with 22K on it and did a full syn oil change. About 200 miles into the tires I fell asleep behind the wheel and hit a median otw home and did about $5,600 in damages. 2 new wheels, 2 hubs, lower control arm. New front bumper and paint. I mounted and balanced the tires new myself at work. When I got the car back from the body shop they wrote me a check to have the tires road force balanced since I did it when I did the tires. There is a constant vibration that I can't get rid of and I keep having to go back and the road force numbers are in the 30's and one was in the 40's. 180 the tires and stil vibration is there. Don't feel like messing with the tires again and have discount tire try to get it to smooth out 4x. Still nothing vibration still there and keeps coming back. So I'm having discount tire get a hold of continental and I'm going to try to exchange them for their version which is like a continental SRS or maybe the general tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
So, you crashed the car, but the vibration is the fault of the tires?

...‚

So, you crashed the car, but the vibration is the fault of the tires?

I drive 100+ miles a day to work. Didn't get a chance to even get a feel for the tires before the accident.

I'm serious...though it may sound amusing...that wasn't my intent.

$5,600 in damage. New suspension parts. New wheels, too!

That's a lot of damage.

But the tires are the only possible cause? They are at fault?

Isn't it possible that the shop missed some damage? Or that the tires were also damaged by an impact severe enough to damage the wheels? Perhaps the remaining two wheels are bent? Other parts are bent?

I don't think you can state, definitively, that the tires are at fault.

I'm serious...though it may sound amusing...that wasn't my intent.

$5,600 in damage. New suspension parts. New wheels, too!

That's a lot of damage.

But the tires are the only possible cause? They are at fault?

Isn't it possible that the shop missed some damage? Or that the tires were also damaged by an impact severe enough to damage the wheels? Perhaps the remaining two wheels are bent? Other parts are bent?

I don't think you can state, definitively, that the tires are at fault.

The road force numbers. I've inspected and aligned the car myself and each time I've balanced the tires the road force numbers are outrageous high. Also have checked rim runout on the tire balancer and it was fine. And the balance of the tires are off. Had this happen on a set of Cooper CS5's on my old Malibu had to warrantee them out and vibration went away

Last edited:
Fair enough. Hope you're able to get them straightened out.

And maybe get a job that's closer?

Have you taken the car to Discount Tire so they can put them on the balancer? A wheel weight might have slipped or, more likely, you damaged the tire(s) yourself and want free ones

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Have you taken the car to Discount Tire so they can put them on the balancer? A wheel weight might have slipped or, more likely, you damaged the tire(s) yourself and want free ones

Why tf would I damage $180 tires? Tires have been balanced many times and can't get the road force down low enough to not cause a vibration.

🙂

Screenshot_2020-05-23-22-27-01-873.jpg

🙂

You understand his complaint is about NEW tires on NEW wheels purchases AFTER the collision?

You need to be trained on the use of a RoadForce balancer. If you're attempting the 180 match feature it sounds like you're doing it manually, the machine will guide you. If you're using the runout method what are the numbers for the wheel and the tire individually?

🙂

Well I agree there are a lot of variable's here with all that vehicle damage and tires almost always catch the blame right away, but it's not unpopular for an owner to go to the easiest target.
I hope he gets it resolved, doesn't get troubled for defraud and you get the lightest slap on the hand for libel.

grin2.gif

Last edited:
🙂

Originally Posted by bachman
🙂

Well I agree there are a lot of variable's here with all that vehicle damage and tires almost always catch the blame right away, but it's not unpopular for an owner to go to the easiest target.
I hope he gets it resolved, doesn't get troubled for defraud and you get the lightest slap on the hand for libel.

grin2.gif

I had this problem before the accident and didn't get a chance to fix it so how is it fraud? And all 4 tires have bad road force accident was on the LH side.

This thread is absolutely hilarious. Reminds me of the guy who said he had bad tires on a Mazda Protege with like a gazillion miles on it........

I crashed my car...now the tires are giving me issues..

LOL!

If there is a constant vibration from all 4 wheels/tires, I feel like the 200 miles put on them before the accident should have been enough for the vibrations to be felt.

Also, the odds of getting 4 bad, brand new tires seems astronomical. Has that ever happened to anyone, anywhere?

Ultimately I think the question I am most interested in knowing the answer to is what happens if new tires are acquired and installed but provide no relief?

Yes, there is a lot to unpack in the story.

But the thing that jumped out at me was the 180° thing. The tech operating the Road Force machine didn't know what he was doing. Further, I don't think the 180° thing eliminates the wheels as the source of the problem.

But the comment about the assemblies being in the 30's and 40's just doesn't make sense. Those are very high numbers - much higher than you'd get from a new set of tires, even with a bad wheel! There's something else going on here!

The good news is that Discount Tire is now involved. My recommendation would be for them to measure the assemblies BEFORE doing anything else. If the tech knows what he is doing, he might look at the traces and see a flat spot. That would explain everything! Don't forget, the tire have 4200 miles on them - 4000 since the accident!

(and a side note: If the tires weren't purchased at Discount Tire, this could present an issue for them doing warranty!)

Back