Bad set of continental dsw06’s

If DT is a Continental retailer, there won't be an issue if there's a legitimate warranty issue. My OE Michelin LTX tires on my E450 were recalled. After I had a belt separation, I was able to walk out with 6 new tires worth $1200 without a penny out of my pocket.

Originally Posted by gabriel9766
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
🙂

Originally Posted by bachman
🙂

Well I agree there are a lot of variable's here with all that vehicle damage and tires almost always catch the blame right away, but it's not unpopular for an owner to go to the easiest target.
I hope he gets it resolved, doesn't get troubled for defraud and you get the lightest slap on the hand for libel.

grin2.gif

I had this problem before the accident and didn't get a chance to fix it so how is it fraud? And all 4 tires have bad road force accident was on the LH side.

Sorry for any confusion there.You've got enuf to figure out with that car and tires thing.
My main point was not agreeing with anyone saying you are guilty of fraud or joking if it was posted in jest (with a smiley). It was making light of the joker who wouldn't any more be likely of slander or libel charges than you of fraud.

These tires were new and went back on the car after it was repaired (with 200 or so miles on them) or these tries are new after the crash ?

Last edited:
Discount tire does not (at least usually) have GSP9700.

If you have access to a GSP9700, use it properly and you will know what is wrong.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Discount tire does not (at least usually) have GSP9700. ……..

I disagree. At one point in time, Hunter GSP9700's were standard equipment in Discount Tire stores. I later found some stores that didn't have them, but they were in areas where vibrations weren't as plentiful (Midwest, if I remember correctly.)

Maybe this has changed?

Does the Fusion have the same size wheel bolt pattern? Even if the tires are a little different size, might be worth it to swap and see if it vibrates.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
...But the comment about the assemblies being in the 30's and 40's just doesn't make sense. Those are very high numbers - much higher than you'd get from a new set of tires, even with a bad wheel! There's something else going on here!

Maybe the GSP-9000 is out of calibration, or the adapters are worn out? Maybe the tires were flat spotted from sitting in the parking lot for 3 hours before being checked? Hunter (and manufacturers like GM and Subaru) recommend that the vehicle be driven for 10 miles to eliminate flat spots, then immediately remove all tires from the vehicle and check on the GSP-9000. But I doubt that a tire tech will take the time to do that.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Discount tire does not (at least usually) have GSP9700. ……..

I disagree. At one point in time, Hunter GSP9700's were standard equipment in Discount Tire stores. I later found some stores that didn't have them, but they were in areas where vibrations weren't as plentiful (Midwest, if I remember correctly.)

Maybe this has changed?

The 1st generation GSP-9700 series is fairly old by now, being introduced about 22 years ago. The latest Hunter Road Force/Balancer is the 5th generation "Elite".

https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/road-force-elite/#vision

The advancements seem to be in reducing labor time and in reducing errors made by poorly trained tire techs.

🙂

🙂

Well I agree there are a lot of variable's here with all that vehicle damage and tires almost always catch the blame right away, but it's not unpopular for an owner to go to the easiest target.
I hope he gets it resolved, doesn't get troubled for defraud and you get the lightest slap on the hand for libel.

grin2.gif

I had this problem before the accident and didn't get a chance to fix it so how is it fraud? And all 4 tires have bad road force accident was on the LH side.

Sorry for any confusion there.You've got enuf to figure out with that car and tires thing.
My main point was not agreeing with anyone saying you are guilty of fraud or joking if it was posted in jest (with a smiley). It was making light of the joker who wouldn't any more be likely of slander or libel charges than you of fraud.

These tires were new and went back on the car after it was repaired (with 200 or so miles on them) or these tries are new after the crash ?

Been crazy busy since the accident. There was no damage to the tires. The body shop and me my inspected the tires. No cuts or damage or anything to the tires. The wheels took the hit there is no gashes or cuts anywhere on the tires. I've seen and done myself balanced the tires and the vib is still there and rod force numbers are crazy high.

Been crazy busy since the accident. There was no damage to the tires. The body shop and me my inspected the tires. No cuts or damage or anything to the tires. The wheels took the hit there is no gashes or cuts anywhere on the tires. I've seen and done myself balanced the tires and the vib is still there and rod force numbers are crazy high.

Just because there is no visual exterior damage, it doesn't mean there isn't any internal damage to the tires from the impact.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Just because there is no visual exterior damage, it doesn't mean there isn't any internal damage to the tires from the impact.

This

An impact hard enough to damage a wheel can damage a tire.

Not all tire damage is visible.

🙂

No need for drama. FYI, Continental has a free Road Hazard warranty for the first 12 months or 2/32 treadware of the tire.

http://continentaltire.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/787/~/total-confidence-plan-warranty

Road Hazard means anything that causes damage. I know this warranty is for real, because I just exercised it.

I told my tire shop my teenager ran a curb with my Camry and pinch flatted the tire... I got a new, free Continental Pure Contact LS tire. (I had to pay mount and balance).
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5433742/re-2010-camry-camber-question

I had a slow leak after 2 - 4 weeks on new Conti DSW ext.
Took it in to Discoutn and they replaced it commending me for my extra I paid for their coverages they offer. They found a pin hole leak in the sidewall, nowhere near anything a driver could pick up or do.
I explained politely that had I not a paid anything for extra coverage, I'd have fought that obvious defect a far as I had to go versus paying anything.
I think the guy wanted to impress listening customers who might consider buying the extra stuff. It does go beyond mfg warranty, added rotates and a few extras but a bum tire from the factory isn't coming out of customers pocket anyways. At least it shouldn't.

Last edited:
I think my set needs a road force balance

They're mostly smooth and quiet (I just put them back on today, no more snow tires)

But there's a faint shudder at 70+

It's not the rims, I had them refinished and straightened to the tune of $900 before these went on

They were road force balanced when they were installed this time last year, they only have ~6k on them

I mean, I'm new to the UHP W rated tire genre, I expected a little less refinement in exchange for grip

They stick like glue in the rain, and I haven't gotten them to chirp or shudder once

Maybe a V6 Camry just isn't enough for them
confused.gif

Discount tire last week swapped them out for a set of General G-Max AS 05's. Vibration is gone and road force was all below 18. So I'm happy and pleased. Haven't gotten to try them out in the rain yet but very good tire.

But the comment about the assemblies being in the 30's and 40's just doesn't make sense. Those are very high numbers - much higher than you'd get from a new set of tires, even with a bad wheel! There's something else going on here!

While I would normally bow to your expertise in these matters.. It once took me 6(7?) Nokian wr g2 suv tires to get 4 good ones.
The roadforce was in the mid-30's on printout for the bad tires.. and very noticeable.

Discount tire last week swapped them out for a set of General G-Max AS 05's. Vibration is gone and road force was all below 18. So I'm happy and pleased. Haven't gotten to try them out in the rain yet but very good tire.

Glad that worked for you. Those tires are on the short list once I ditch the OEM tires on the elantra.

While I would normally bow to your expertise in these matters.. It once took me 6(7?) Nokian wr g2 suv tires to get 4 good ones.
The roadforce was in the mid-30's on printout for the bad tires.. and very noticeable.

Glad that worked for you. Those tires are on the short list once I ditch the OEM tires on the elantra.
I could balance all other 5 sets of tires with led I have on one set of Nokian's.
When someone says Nokian is top tier manufacturer I get chills.

I could balance all other 5 sets of tires with led I have on one set of Nokian's.
When someone says Nokian is top tier manufacturer I get chills.

Mine were from the russian plant.. maybe too much vodka monday? The weight itself wasnt an issue.. they lacked roundness or concentricity whatever the characteristic is called.

Mine were from the russian plant.. maybe too much vodka monday? The weight itself wasnt an issue.. they lacked roundness or concentricity whatever the characteristic is called.
The Russian-made Hakka R2 SUV tires on wife's Q5 seem to be doing just fine and didn't require any gimmicks to get them balanced. Maybe I just got lucky?

I just read through this confusing post. In 200 miles you'll know if there is an issue with your tires. Honestly either clean up your original post to be more coherent in a chronological fashion otherwise I agree with the people who were raising an eyebrow to you being suspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back