BAD movies.

I find the biggest problem with movies is that people cannot share their opinions of them.
For starters, it takes time to describe the nuances of anything.
I believe some people are afraid of being judged so they won't even critique' a film they like.
Others cannot hear a differing opinion to theirs.
Others are ever-poised to ridicule someone who dislikes a film....like a high school kid calling you a cheapskate because you didn't buy all the bells and whistles on a car.
The result is that 'discussing movies" is a mine field. This is plainly obvious in my opinion.

Add to that the irrefutable fact that the majority of movies are run-of-the-mill, copycat, "Let's see how many times we can lure people into paying to see this..." trash.

A narrator said, "Elvis' movies made money. But each one made less than its predecessor." Had Elvis come along a tad later on the timeline, cheap sex and ramped up violence could've extended his film career.

The shorter list would be what are the truly excellent movies.
As in music, it is about 95% HoHum - or worse - then the remaining 5% outstanding.

When I discuss music or any art with friends, I try to look at it objectively. take my preferences out of the discussion.

When you say, "I hated this" or "I didn't like that
at ALL!" there is no discussion, no argument made.

Since we're all in agreement that it's all subjective and personal I'll share one of mine. After seeing this at the theater, a lady a couple of rows behind me said, "I wonder if we can get our money back for this." I shared that sentiment, even though the critics seemed to love it.

1652539499361.jpg

Are we talking about bad, like the production is awful like you reference here:
Or, alternate title.. "What movies do you feel are not very well done?"

I will start.. Most, if not all, Steven Seagal movies, particularly the more recent ones.
🤷‍♂️

I'm not sure what you are saying here:
Now, everyone will feel a "bad" movie is something different, so, if you want to post a bit about why you choose what you post as a bad movie, that's fine too.
Because without defining what your criteria are for a movie being "bad", a movie that is extremely well produced and has an excellent story could still be "bad" if somebody doesn't like it, which, doesn't make sense really.
Steven Seagal, he has been nicknamed Mr. Never Gets A Scratch.
Well yes, that's one issue, though that's a Hollywood trademark with many of the "uber hero" storylines. The bigger issue with his movies is that they are clearly very low budget and sometimes the storyline is a little iffy.

I personally loathe anything in the "Spy Kids" family of movies, not because the production was horrible (it wasn't) but because the storyline is so unbelievably bad that I feel like I'm losing brain cells watching it.

There are a lot of very bad, both in production, and storyline, movies on Netflix and Amazon lately. So unremarkable that the names aren't even coming to me, but they are plentiful. Explosions are extremely cheap CGI, guns with unlimited ammo and zero recoil, camera angles and tracking looking like it was done with a few gopro's...etc.

Like @Pablo, I don't find Adam Sandler funny, or the Madea movies. They aren't poorly produced, but conceptually, they are typically pretty weak and the storyline pretty crap.

So, for everyone to be on the same page, I think it would be helpful to set some boundaries on what makes a movie "bad", because just not liking it really doesn't count.

Most chickflicks are absolutely wretched, and I'll make fun of them the whole way to the theatre when my gf forces me to take her to one, but there I am, the whole time, loving the movie haha!:D

🤷‍♂️

Because without defining what your criteria are for a movie being "bad", a movie that is extremely well produced and has an excellent story could still be "bad" if somebody doesn't like it, which, doesn't make sense really.

Well yes, that's one issue, though that's a Hollywood trademark with many of the "uber hero" storylines. The bigger issue with his movies is that they are clearly very low budget and sometimes the storyline is a little iffy.

I personally loathe anything in the "Spy Kids" family of movies, not because the production was horrible (it wasn't) but because the storyline is so unbelievably bad that I feel like I'm losing brain cells watching it.

There are a lot of very bad, both in production, and storyline, movies on Netflix and Amazon lately. So unremarkable that the names aren't even coming to me, but they are plentiful. Explosions are extremely cheap CGI, guns with unlimited ammo and zero recoil, camera angles and tracking looking like it was done with a few gopro's...etc.

Like @Pablo, I don't find Adam Sandler funny, or the Madea movies. They aren't poorly produced, but conceptually, they are typically pretty weak and the storyline pretty crap.

So, for everyone to be on the same page, I think it would be helpful to set some boundaries on what makes a movie "bad", because just not liking it really doesn't count.

Well, I hinted at that, as to what we will call a "bad" movie will be different for every person..

For a movie that someone maybe "just didn't like," perhaps the plot wasn't doing it for them. Maybe the plot was actually bad, like pretty much any Madea movie. Or, just a guy playing a female. Could make it a bad movie on the premise alone...

Bad acting, bad script..
Bad CGI or action choreography, like so many B movies where the cars can't get dinged due to budget...

I dont think I've seen a single thing on Amazon Prime I could call a good movie, including the much hyped Michael B. Jordan movie in 2021.

🤷‍♂️

Movies like this 😮

It's like.. Forgotten! B-b-but.. it's not! It's actually.. Four got ten! Like, actually GOT them! 🤣🤣

lol
images (1).jpeg

Well, I hinted at that, as to what we will call a "bad" movie will be different for every person..
Yes, you did. My point was in not providing a framework on what characterized "bad" we ended up with the Star Wars movies listed here, which were extremely well produced and had solid storylines, even if folks aren't a fan of them. Those aren't "bad" movies in the sense that other films we are discussing are. A movie isn't "bad" just because people don't like it, which I think @Astro14 did a good job of covering.
For a movie that someone maybe "just didn't like," perhaps the plot wasn't doing it for them. Maybe the plot was actually bad, like pretty much any Madea movie. Or, just a guy playing a female. Could make it a bad movie on the premise alone...
That's a contradiction. For a movie that "somebody just didn't like", well, they just didn't like it. Again, you used the example of Star Wars.

Those subsequent examples beyond simply not liking the plot are legitimate reasons for a movie to be "bad" and are well beyond just not liking the film.
Bad acting, bad script..
Bad CGI or action choreography, like so many B movies where the cars can't get dinged due to budget...
Yes, all real reasons beyond just "not liking it".
I dont think I've seen a single thing on Amazon Prime I could call a good movie, including the much hyped Michael B. Jordan movie in 2021.
They've had lots of good, older movies on there, but they don't seem to stay on for long, they seem to have a relatively rapid rotation for older titles unfortunately.

Back