Bad leak after ARX

Status
Not open for further replies.
So two days ago I drained my ARX rinse phase oil, wow that was some really black PYB. Now I have sprung a major leak, I am losing about 1/4-1/2 qt a day. I DRIVE 10 MILES A DAY!!! So I look around and seems to be coming from the rear of the motor, my first thought is the pan gasket b/c it was questionable to re-use (I took off my pan to drill a hole and weld in a bung for a temp sending unit). Its a fel-pro prema-dry (blue rubber w/ crush washers). So I replaced that, and drove home all seemed well. Today I got back on the highway and once again its spraying oil over the entire undercarriage and all over my back window! Not to mention im probably blinding everyone behind me from the smoke I put out. Now my next thought is the rear main seal, would have been my first but the questionable pan gasket threw me off and definitely needed to be replaced anyways. Also the rear main was replaced within a couple thousand miles prior to the ARX treatment. So I'm thinking the ARX cleaned some junk up on the crank and there is a grove worn in the crank??? Any ideas would be appreciated. And if thats not it there's nothing else back there, other than the back of the valve cover gasket (which was also replaced with the rear main). Am I missing something.

Last edited:
You probably had some sort of pre-existing problem that the sludge/dirt etc. was plugging until ARX cleaned it out... Or it could just be coincidence...

With that much oil leaking I would think you have a major gasket problem or a hole in your oil pan somewhere... Clean the engine and surrounding areas with some Brake cleaner to remove the oil. Then run the car on Jack stands and look to see where it is coming from...

GOOD LUCK!
grin2.gif

duct tape sounds like the cure.

I agree with Stevie, clean it up jack it up and start it up.

See where the problem is and fix it. Only problem is that it's gonna be cold here in VA this weekend so don't drive in front of my new Mustang with that oil leak!

Originally Posted By: Taylor
So two days ago I drained my ARX rinse phase oil, wow that was some really black PYB. Now I have sprung a major leak, I am losing about 1/4-1/2 qt a day. I DRIVE 10 MILES A DAY!!! So I look around and seems to be coming from the rear of the motor, my first thought is the pan gasket b/c it was questionable to re-use (I took off my pan to drill a hole and weld in a bung for a temp sending unit). Its a fel-pro prema-dry (blue rubber w/ crush washers). So I replaced that, and drove home all seemed well. Today I got back on the highway and once again its spraying oil over the entire undercarriage and all over my back window! Not to mention im probably blinding everyone behind me from the smoke I put out. Now my next thought is the rear main seal, would have been my first but the questionable pan gasket threw me off and definitely needed to be replaced anyways. Also the rear main was replaced within a couple thousand miles prior to the ARX treatment. So I'm thinking the ARX cleaned some junk up on the crank and there is a grove worn in the crank??? Any ideas would be appreciated. And if thats not it there's nothing else back there, other than the back of the valve cover gasket (which was also replaced with the rear main). Am I missing something.

Leaking 1/4 ~1/2qt a day? That's some serious leak my friend! Check to see if you have a seized crank seal lip, or major oil pan sealing/gasket problems, or something like that.

Truth is, this maybe coincidental with your AutoRx application for if it's just mere dirt causing false seal, it would be just drips and not "pours"... (trying to visualise pouring out a can of coke on a daily basis...that's just roughly how much motor oil you are loosing )

Q.

Couldn't possibly be coming from the oil filter, could it? Sometimes if the old gasket doesn't come off with the filter and you reinstall the new filter over it you'll spray oil all over.

1996 Jeep w/ 4.0. Its not the oil pan gasket or a hole in the pan. its not the oil filter. It is dripping from the front of the trans bellhousing. Its not pouring when idleing just dripping. When RPMs get higher is when Im losing most the oil.

Like you said, it could be the pan gasket, rear main seal, or a very "slight" chance its leaking at the back of the valve cover and running down. This would make it look like its coming from the pan or the rear main seal. Working on a car in this cold weather is no picnic. Good luck!

Frank D

Taylor in his post says this a a major leak. Where it is coming from with this volume of oil would make the application of the pan gasket a prime prospect.

Its doubtful the oil pan gasket or rear seal just all of a sudden sprung a leak of this magnitude.He said at idle the leak is just a few drops and at higher RPM it leaks much worse.This is a classic symptom of an oil pressure sender and probably has nothing to do with ARX,just coincidence i would guess.

Originally Posted By: Frank
Frank it is amazing to me "Mori" can post a photo of an engine and say it his and nobody questions it. I frankly don.t believe his photo for we had two photo labs look at it.They don.t believe it came out of a car with the milege he claims either.
Take care
Frank

Frank, bringing me up in a thread in which I had not posted was not clever. Calling me liar was a really bad move. Now I have a mission. Anybody can question anything and anywhere. I surely will. I'm off to Audiworld now.
grin2.gif
LOL.gif

You wouldn't have it any other way.

By the way my comments were a PM how they got posted i can only guess.

Clicked the notify button and asked the moderators to delete it.

Has not happened yet.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its doubtful the oil pan gasket or rear seal just all of a sudden sprung a leak of this magnitude.He said at idle the leak is just a few drops and at higher RPM it leaks much worse.This is a classic symptom of an oil pressure sender and probably has nothing to do with ARX,just coincidence i would guess.

My oil pressure sender went on my 9-5 but it never lost that much oil that quick. It sure did stink, though, as the sender is just above the cat. Although, I did replace it fiarly quick. I suppose it could have gotten worse. But it started out as a few drops....

Originally Posted By: Frank
You wouldn't have it any other way.

By the way my comments were a PM how they got posted i can only guess.

Clicked the notify button and asked the moderators to delete it.

Has not happened yet.

I'm accidentally going to post your personal messages in which you question me about a forum member. Oh oops, I already posted some of that in the General forum. Imagine what else I might post. You know, those preposterous "secrets" that you let me know (for no good reason). For what kind of sap do you take me?

Perhaps the new pan gasket was somehow compromized when you torqued it down. Or may be a piece of [censored] got unknowingly lodged in the pinch down.

Brian WC could be right. Got to retrace the steps, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back