Backup camera install problem

Posted about this on the, What are you working on, thread, and thought I was done, but noooo. Installed an aftermarket backup camera on the 15 Explorer Police car in the tailgate and connected it to the 4.2" screen connector as the instructions say. Connected the power wire to a keyed 12V source. Display worked and showed the correct image when I checked and tested during installation when I put it into reverse. Also worked fine after finishing the install. Then I go for a 20 minute drive and want to back into a parking space and the screen says something like, REVERSE CAMERA NOT AVAILABLE when I put it in reverse. So then I drive home, have some lunch, then check it again and now it's working again. Ideas what may cause this? Is it ok to have this powered constantly when driving instead of connecting it to the reverse lights? Could it just be overheating from that?

IMG_2826.JPG

Res isn't too high. But I'd just connect it to the reverse lights so it's not powered all the time. I think that's how its typically done.

It really sounds like an intermittent connection issue. The display recolonizes that you put it in reverse but the camera is either not powering up or the signal wire is loosing connection. Does the display get its power from the camera or is it wired separately under the dash. Do you have a separate mini coax cable from the camera to the display, if so check the center conductor pins at all connections. Sometimes the center pin gets pushed back as you plug it in and just barely makes contact. A bit of vibration can cause it to loose connection or reconnect. If its loose in the connector you have to reach in and grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it gently until it locks into position.

Res isn't too high. But I'd just connect it to the reverse lights so it's not powered all the time. I think that's how its typically done.
With the reverse lights, I thought there would be an annoying delay for the camera to come on, but might try it.
Does the display get its power from the camera or is it wired separately under the dash.
Factory display.

OK so it could be a bad connection to the backup lights as well. Check to make sure you didnt get any insulation trapped in the wire crimp (if you crimped them} and that the ground connection is tight. It just acts like a weak connection someplace.

Back