Backdoor kill-switches in every car by 2026

This is a perfect example of what PACs do to influence politicians. Groups like MADD have been trying for years for this type of legislation and they finally got what they wanted.

The legislation does state that the system must be "passive". Requiring the driver to do something such as blow in to a tube is not passive. Nissan has been working on a system for years that uses sensors in the steering wheel to detect driver impairment. Although I would imagine if the driver put a steering wheel cover on the car it would defeat the system.

This is a perfect example of what PACs do to influence politicians. Groups like MADD have been trying for years for this type of legislation and they finally got what they wanted.

The legislation does state that the system must be "passive". Requiring the driver to do something such as blow in to a tube is not passive. Nissan has been working on a system for years that uses sensors in the steering wheel to detect driver impairment. Although I would imagine if the driver put a steering wheel cover on the car it would defeat the system.
They are going to need test subjects to get drunk and/or stoned and drive the vehicles in order to test out the systems to validate them.

My car already shuts off if I slip my front tires just a little. Happened the other day getting on the highway in Bedford, NH. Almost got rear ended. My Ford Ranger MT truck had great ASC tweek by a Ricky Rudd type. Best software /and hardware implementation and integration I have ever witnessed.
This Indian Eco ? Nope.
Nannie and ninnies o.k. for the wife, but not for me.

I can see the benefits of this technology, but also the cost of same in terms of privacy invasion. I can't tolerate how Subaru won't give you cruise control if the CEL is on, so this takes it much farther.

Ontario had a program years ago whereby you could put a sticker on your bumper that authorized police to pull over the car if found driving after 1am or before 5am. Perfect for most healthy retired who were concerned their beloved Mercury Marquise would be stolen as they slept.
This was a passive method to assign control to law enforcement...assuming they noticed or cared to intervene. Program faded away with low interest.

I think most reasonable drivers will admit that they occasionally floor it, take turns at higher than posted speeds, brake hard, but this wouldn't describe 95% of their normal mode. We all do it, but you wouldn't do it for 45 minutes continuous in traffic? Even when I was 16, my crazy driving came in spurts....that sounds kinky & messy?

Another big brother high-tech idea in a cascade of "feel good" and "we're here to help you" ideas that are initially helpful, and then evolve into more control of every aspect of your life.

The good: less car accidents, less DUI drivers, allowing law enforcement to disable vehicles from afar, etc.

The bad: serious infringements of privacy and movement, travel, monitoring, and total control over anyone deemed unworthy of driving, which can predictably evolve into illegitimate reasons those in control deem...

As far as I'm reading it, it's clearly made to detect driving under alcohol or drug influence. The "test" procedure is liking requiring to blow into a pipe or something so the vehicle knows if the driver is high.

Any thoughts on this? Does this mean we will no longer have awesome car chases on the "4o5" in California?(drugs are usually involved) Or worse, access from "unauthorized" users. If you drive a relatively new car with a remote app and GPS, it already records performance, braking, location, aggressive acceleration, electrical problems, etc.

What is your take on this? Drunk Driving is Illegal and this could be used to prevent it?
It's going to be expensive to implement and look for this statute to result in an additional charge against the individual who had the DUI and some how circumvented the system.

I can see the benefits of this technology, but also the cost of same in terms of privacy invasion. I can't tolerate how Subaru won't give you cruise control if the CEL is on, so this takes it much farther.
They do that so you fix the car and possibly bring it back into emissions compliance

Another big brother high-tech idea in a cascade of "feel good" and "we're here to help you" ideas that are initially helpful, and then evolve into more control of every aspect of your life.

The good: less car accidents, less DUI drivers, allowing law enforcement to disable vehicles from afar, etc.

The bad: serious infringements of privacy and movement, travel, monitoring, and total control over anyone deemed unworthy of driving, which can predictably evolve into illegitimate reasons those in control deem...
There's nothing about remote disabling a vehicle.

I can see the benefits of this technology, but also the cost of same in terms of privacy invasion.
smartphones, smart appliances.. you always give away your privacy. because information can be monetized. (web search engines,ads)
just heard something similar from stelantis, it may spam travellers on their big car displays with tons of ads :LOL:
(one day we might install adblock to cars, until they refuse start because of that :LOL:)

You realize that this is already in most vehicles but in a simpler form right? It's the drowsiness detection. Monitors your driving habits for the first 15 minutes and then when you start to deviate it from it, it alerts you that you may be getting drowsy. With internet in many cars, not too hard to wire it so that someone can shut you off remotely.

......autopilots and other silly gadgets.
i guess people hate to drive or became lazy. it makes more sense just to call taxi.
It's really a sliding amount, isn't it? I mean, who complains about automatic spark control or EFI? Most like rowing their own gears... until they are in a city, then that automatic transmission doesn't sound so bad. That feature where you tap the blinker and it will then give 3 blinks? is that for lazy people?

You realize that this is already in most vehicles but in a simpler form right? It's the drowsiness detection. Monitors your driving habits for the first 15 minutes and then when you start to deviate it from it, it alerts you that you may be getting drowsy. With internet in many cars, not too hard to wire it so that someone can shut you off remotely.
First i've heard of this, didn't know it was out there.

Back