Back Wiure Electrical Receptacle With No Release

Backstabbed devices are fine for a new install. The problem is people remove the wires from the backstabs and then re-use the backstabs. This is a no no. The tension force is weakened from removal and you can develop a loose high resistance connection. There’s a reason the wire is hard to remove - it’s not meant to be removed. If you have to remove it you clip the wire and re-strip it. You can’t remove the wire without damaging the terminal inside and compromising its tension force on the wire.

So in summary, do NOT re-use a backstabbed devices after it has already been previously backstabbed. The manufacturers tell you that it can’t be re-used. Your typical homeowner does not know this.

Also, the new backstabbed devices only are listed for and accept #14 wire, and a #12 won’t fit in. This is because a #12 provides too much resistance when you shove the backstabbed device back into the box, and it can force the backstabbed connection loose.

So, if you use backstabs it must be #14 AWG, and if you need to pull the wire out for any reason the device is junk - toss it. If you use #12 AWG you must use the screw terminals. Make sure the hook wraps around the screw in the same direction you tighten the screw.

Backstabs save lots of time during installation. They’re not my favorite by any means, but when used for new installs and not messed with they’re perfectly fine. My personal favorite are the GFCI type terminations where you terminate a straight wire under a metal plate and tighten the screw - it’s the best of both worlds IMHO.

Last edited:
Why? If no good wouldn't the electrical codes prohibit it?
You would think.

I have seen this method fail quite a few times. It’s basically a spring loaded tab that creates the connection. I am sure for today’s lighting on a switch it’s fine, but I wouldn’t want it for a plug.. especially one that would be used for high loads.

A screw is just a more solid connection.

dont use stab connections on switchs or outlets ,use screws and make hook ,gently tighten then loosen to properly seat wire hook ,then tighten firmly,,,i like to then tape screws around receptical or switch body

Back