Back and forth with RP guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a email conversation that started out with me and a RP rep. asking about the source of the steel they use for their cans and turned into an oil discussion:

ME: You do have a filter that fits my vehicle and thank you but no than k you on specifying an oil for my needs. I use an oil with a higher than normal ZDDP content. Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Purolator are other manufactures I've contacted. In fact, I pay Amsoil a fee to be a Preferred Customer and receive a lower cost on merchandise the sell.

RP:I guess.

Are you sure that the specific Amsoil product actually has higher ZDDP?

They tend to claim a lot of things that are not actually true.
Such as API Service Classifications that they do not have or VW/Audi warranty claims - etc.

RP has not reduced any content of ZDDP in any of our motor oils.
We offer the SAE Licensed oils (but have continued to offer API SL oils), our Motorcycle specific and then race oils.

Not all additive packs are created equal though.
Higher ZDDP amounts does not necessarily correlate to less wear.
Too much antiwear can even lead to increased deposits.

Cheers,

Good luck in your quest.
Still curious as to what kind of vehicle you drive.

David

ME:I never said that I use Amsoil oil in my engine, only that the oil I do use (not Amsoil) has a high ZDDP content. In a flat tappet engine higher ZDDP is very important to wear protection. I do have my oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs periodically as well.

RP:
I've been very open with you - what are you hiding?
Why won't you disclose the vehicle that you drive?
You've peaked my interest as to what a US Steel worker would drive that he considered to be a made in America vehicle?

I am well aware of ZDDP levels and flat tappet cams - as I have been with RP for 20 years and have a degree in engineering as well as race a car for fun on weekends.

Excessive levels of ZDDP can lead to exhaust valve sticking, deposits in ring grooves can lead to stuck rings, etc.
So running a higher than necessary ZDDP level is not good either.
Choosing an oil based solely on ZDDP content is very similar to choosing beer, wine and liquor based solely on alcohol content.

Open up a bit.
I'm not going to bite .....

Heck - you know my name, where I work, my cell phone, etc.

Just interested in that you have very defined strong opinions and I find it interesting to hear your input.
No one in over a year has asked the question that you did about where the steel is sourced on the filters. I applaud you on it and also not shopping at certain retailers - we're in agreement on this as I feel strongly as well.

I am not in agreement on paying a 'preferred customer fee' to any company for the 'right' to purchase something. That's a MLM or multi level marketing pyramid scheme.
But - that is also your choice .

I am curious as to what you have found out about the other filter companies - who they are and what their response was.

I was proud of the quick response from Champion Labs on the US sourced steel answer. Have other companies even bothered to answer?

ME:David,

I am hiding nothing. I fact that I won't divulge the information pertaining to the vehicle that I drive is strictly based on the fact that you're not interested in it as a matter of personal curiosity as much as you are interested it the information for research and demographics, let's be honest!

Extreme levels of ZDDP are bad true, but motor oil companies have been reducing the amount in the oil they produce for years for the reason of gaining longer life out out catalytic converters. Where does this leave the driver of the "classic" car? And again, my oil gets analyzed by Blackstone for reasons other than checking to see "how much alcohol content" it has left, as your analogy would state.

Paying Amsoil a fee once a year doesn't give me the right to shop there, anyone can shop there. The difference is that I can pay less margin and if I so choose, become a retailer of their product. (Which currently I choose not to do, by the way.)

I too am impressed by how fast you got an answer from Champion Labs, however I am very disappointed that I have not heard back from them yet with an answer to the same question you posed to them.

Wix filters emailed just today to inform me that their filters are manufactured from US Steel sourced steel from Sparrows Point, Maryland.
The other filter companies, as of yet, have not addressed my inquiries.

RP:Demographics - whoa - you're giving me and Royal Purple way more credit than what is deserved.

Joe - I have been a one man tech department for years.
Marketing studies?
Are you kidding me......

I'm asking because I am curious as to what brand of car you are driving that you feel is composed entirely of US made components?

That hasn't happened since prior to 1970 in my best guesstimate.
Since you have such strong opinions - I personally was curious as to what car you had that you felt as strongly about as you obviously do about oil filters.

As far a Sparrows Point - I've been there- it's now owned by a Russian (Severstal) and they're looking at a 1/3 workforce reduction. Many other US plants are now owned by the Indians - (Mittal)

We lubricant several pieces of equipment there and I work with the Reliability Engineers on solving lubrication related problems - using our higher performing oils to increase reliability and equipment life to help the mills stay competitive with overseas companies.

ME:I've thoroughly enjoyed our correspondence over the past few days, David.
I sent the last email in haste though, as I didn't research the Sparrow's Point mill until after sending it out. It's a shame really, too many US companies are shutting down and/or being sold, exactly why I am being so diligent in seeking out American made products.

I consider my automobile to be American made because it was manufactured by United Autoworkers Union members in a high wage state. Unlike the "most Amercian made" car the Toyota Camry which is manufactured in a low wage state by non-union employees (why not work at WalMart?). The 2008 version of my vehicle (not the year I own, I like classics) was constructed of more than 70% US sourced parts. But the key factor being a UAW made vehicle from USW sourced steel, is why it is proudly Made in USA.

RP:So I drive a Dodge with a Cummins and a G-56 Daimler transmission with an AAM axle and Hayes brakes.

My truck was assembled in Mexico but the engine made in the US.
I'm not sure where the transmission was made.
It's got Bosch injectors but a Nippondenso starter and alternator.

I bet the electronics (radio) was made in Mexico.

Now Dodge is owned in part by an Italian company and the US Government.
What does that make my truck to be?

David

I can continue the rest tomorrow if any interest.

Cool, why not tell the guy what you drive? I don't think it matters, I think he honestly wants to know. I'm surprised the string of emails went on that long. Try it with one of the other oil companies, and see how far it goes.

That poor guy!! I'm glad to see he has been responsive as alot of companies are not. This conversation is probably why they are not. Don't waste his time
31.gif

Originally Posted By: wickerham
That's a MLM or multi level marketing pyramid scheme.

Gotta love it when RP makes up false information about the competition.

Yes Amsoil IS MLM. No it is NOT a "pyramid scheme". A company representative writing such a thing opens up his company to legal action. He should be a little more careful.

I consider my automobile to be American made because it was manufactured by United Autoworkers Union members in a high wage state. Unlike the "most Amercian made" car the Toyota Camry which is manufactured in a low wage state by non-union employees (why not work at WalMart?).

smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif

A company should never speak about another in a negative mannor. It's just plan poor business ethic.

Hey OP, why the [censored] are you playing mind games with the guy? You think he wants to know for demographics.......Please. I for one thought you sounded like a fool in this exchange. The RP rep was being as honest and straight forward with you as I have ever seen.

What do you want out of us from publicizing this one-on-one PRIVATE email? Do you want a medal? I don't know what your agenda is here, other then making RP look 1st class....................WELL DONE.

Originally Posted By: D Bone
I for one thought you sounded like a fool in this exchange. The RP rep was being as honest and straight forward with you as I have ever seen.

That makes two of us.

Still curious as to what kind of vehicle you drive.

I`d think he`d have to know this information so he could make an educated recommendation for your vehicle (oil filter/oil/etc.) I always start my email to an oil co`s "contact us" with all my car`s info,so when we start talking about what I need,we`ll both be on the same page. RP`s reps have always been helpful when I`ve contacted them. They`ll even email me back right back late at night. I`ve always thought they had excellent customer service..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I consider my automobile to be American made because it was manufactured by United Autoworkers Union members in a high wage state. Unlike the "most Amercian made" car the Toyota Camry which is manufactured in a low wage state by non-union employees (why not work at WalMart?).

smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif

Had the exact same thought...

For the OP... The guy sounds like he's a resonable guy and, from what I read above, is actually interested in this conversation.

And as far as this comment goes
Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. whatever man. That made you look like an idiot right there. Go ahead and post up the rest of the email exchanges, I'm interested to read them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey OP, why the [censored] are you playing mind games with the guy? ...Please. I for one thought you sounded like a fool in this exchange. The RP rep was being as honest and straight forward with you as I have ever seen.

What do you want out of us from publicizing this one-on-one PRIVATE email? Do you want a medal? I don't know what your agenda is here, other then making RP look 1st class....................WELL DONE.

Agreed!

OP, why try to bait the RP guy into a argument? Why are you trying to goad RP? It amazes me how much [censored] RP takes. I feel bad for them, sometimes. A good company with a great oil, and morons try to pick em' apart. Get a life, dude.
31.gif

Last edited:

smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif

So the non union workers are under paid? I do not see where you are going with this. Non union auto workers are still Americans, and do an excellent job building cars. Bashing them is really not necessary.

I for one thought you sounded like a fool in this exchange. The RP rep was being as honest and straight forward with you as I have ever seen.

That makes two of us.

I thought RP handled it very well! In fact had he tried that exchange with any of the other oil companies I believe the email exchanges would have come to a sudden halt. I really didn't think he took a shot at Amsoil either. Many people THINK that MLM is a Pyramid scheme operation. He didn't really say anything negative about them. Besides how do we know the OP was really talking to RP at all? He could have exchanged one email with them and the rest is [censored]. That union non-union statement was entertaining too. That's something I won' touch with a 10' pole. JMO

So lets see, if anyone is not a union worker like 'wickerham" ,then anything we do such as the type work we do is or products we make, it isn't "American made " ? I used to think I would like to work for a union company, but the last few years have shown me why I would never do that now ! This is a perfect example of why, bait and switch. He start out with one question, and it goes to something else.
If you are going to talk about a companies products,then stick to that. And I disapprove of it when someone then shows what someone has written in a private e mail . Never trust anyone after that!!

Hey OP, why the [censored] are you playing mind games with the guy? You think he wants to know for demographics.......Please. I for one thought you sounded like a fool in this exchange. The RP rep was being as honest and straight forward with you as I have ever seen.

While I don't think the rep was being exactly honest, I think this whole thing is very silly and a waste of his valuable time. What is the end goal? To see if he might make a slip?

Wow - so if he does (he did actually) goof up - this whole thing being posted will make him want to chat more with the public? I think not. Let me tell you, not all oil companies read every post on BITOG - most get reports, and do monitor the chat direction. If someone from RP reads this.......again it's just silly, and I really don't even like Amsoil being dragged into this.

Why be so tough on this guy?.

You seemed to be wasting his time.

I've spoken with Royal Purple, and they're great to deal with.

He probably started getting his back up, because he realized his time was being wasted and his product was being questioned.

Dont mess with these guys, because they help people that need real technical assistance, and we want to keep it that way.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I really didn't think he took a shot at Amsoil either. Many people THINK that MLM is a Pyramid scheme operation. He didn't really say anything negative about them.

Yes he did. He lied! Because SOME people think a thing, makes it right for an oil company rep to lie. Huh? Come on, be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back