Baby back vs beef ribs.

Which is better? I've only had baby backs. I make them all the time,falls off the bone melts in your mouth! What are beef ribs like? Are they as good?

Which is better? I've only had baby backs. I make them all the time,
How do you make them?

I usually make mine on the grill - 250F indirect heat for 4-5 hours - they turn out great. But last time I tried a recipe in the oven at 300F for 2 hours - not as good as on the grill.

They are both great but very different. Beef ribs are usually a few inches thick and 1 can be a meal by itelf. I love them, but the only place I can get them is a butcher shop that is a good ways away. I smoke the beef ribs for 8-10hrs almost like a brisket.

How do you make them?

I usually make mine on the grill - 250F indirect heat for 4-5 hours - they turn out great. But last time I tried a recipe in the oven at 300F for 2 hours - not as good as on the grill.
I remove the membrane,salt and pepper them, put them in a crock pot for 10 hours with 1 bottle of hickory liquid smoke and 1 cup of bbq sauce. I do this overnight.

The next day I lay them on foil on the bbq pit and smoke them for about 10 hours.

I have had both and I prefer beef,, but put pork ribs on the plate and they will be eaten with vigor.

Slightly off subject. Pre pandemic, I often vacationed in France. There is a restaurant chain, all over France, called “Buffalo Grill” that is Southwest themed. Paintings on walls of Buffaloes, Cowboys, Indians, etc. The menu has BBQ Ribs and chicken. One day I ordered the BBQ Ribs. They were very good. When the manager saw that we were Americans, he was all apologetic, saying that he knows that in America the BBQ Ribs were much bigger. I told him “no, you miss understand. In America, we must pay extra for the smaller (baby back) ribs”. Told him that the ribs were excellent. Made him feel good.

Surprised by the number of beef fans. I just vastly prefer pork and thought everyone did... (my bad assumption, not a slight). I grew up in Kentucky and I guess maybe we just ate a lot more pork than the national average.

Which is better? I've only had baby backs. I make them all the time,falls off the bone melts in your mouth! What are beef ribs like? Are they as good?
You live in the heart of beef rib country and you've never had them?!? Sacrilige!

I'm a sucker for a good short rib... Eat one of those and you won't look at pork the same way. North of the Red River, the best places are Smokin' Joe's and Fatty's Smokehouse. Fatty's is my go-to, but Joe's is my rare treat (it's 80 minutes away). I feel Joe's has the better brisket, definitely the better chicken, but Fatty's has a mean short rib and absolutely cannot be beaten on their fried okra (and I mean by anyone on this Earth). Here's Fatty's short rib (which is actually two, because I got the last order they had for the day and they felt the last "one" was too small so they gave me the last two "small" ones they had left). Soooooo juicy.
20201024_160143.jpg

wait... you live in Dallas and Haven't and Beef Ribs? Beef Ribs are the TX Default....
that being said...I cant really give you a good comparison, as the only time i've had beef Ribs was around 20 years ago at a barbecue joint at the Ft.Worth Stockyards : https://risckys.com/
I don't even know if they're a good/Bad/meh representation....

You live in the heart of beef rib country and you've never had them?!? Sacrilige!

I'm a sucker for a good short rib... Eat one of those and you won't look at pork the same way. North of the Red River, the best places are Smokin' Joe's and Fatty's Smokehouse. Fatty's is my go-to, but Joe's is my rare treat (it's 80 minutes away). I feel Joe's has the better brisket, definitely the better chicken, but Fatty's has a mean short rib and absolutely cannot be beaten on their fried okra (and I mean by anyone on this Earth). Here's Fatty's short rib (which is actually two, because I got the last order they had for the day and they felt the last "one" was too small so they gave me the last two "small" ones they had left). Soooooo juicy.
View attachment 35004
That blackened part looks wonderful!!!!

Surprised by the number of beef fans. I just vastly prefer pork and thought everyone did... (my bad assumption, not a slight). I grew up in Kentucky and I guess maybe we just ate a lot more pork than the national average.
Same here. Everyone I know only eats pork baby backs.

For me and mine there is a HUGE preference for babyback. I make them for the kids probably 3x's a month. Sooo many different ways to make them. The easiest??? Peel the membrane; in slow cooker drop a cup of broth, molasses, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire, garlic, Himalayan salt. Slow cook for 4 to 5 hours on LOW depending upon your cooker.

Remove from cooker baste with a good BBQ sauce and broil on LOW with the door open a good amount so the sugars in the BBQ sauce caramelize slowly and then get that slight char to em. I prefer baby back smoked but this quick no hassle, little clean up way works great.

Slightly off subject. Pre pandemic, I often vacationed in France. There is a restaurant chain, all over France, called “Buffalo Grill” that is Southwest themed. Paintings on walls of Buffaloes, Cowboys, Indians, etc. The menu has BBQ Ribs and chicken. One day I ordered the BBQ Ribs. They were very good. When the manager saw that we were Americans, he was all apologetic, saying that he knows that in America the BBQ Ribs were much bigger. I told him “no, you miss understand. In America, we must pay extra for the smaller (baby back) ribs”. Told him that the ribs were excellent. Made him feel good.
On the topic of US vs. other countries, I find that most pork meats in the US have off-putting smell to them, ribs especially. Something that I have not experienced with pork in Europe. Is there some specific difference in the way pigs are fed/grown and slaughtered in the US that may explain this?

When living in Europe, I remember eating lots of pork. In the US - not so much, because of the smell.

EDIT: Apparently, it's our genetics that determine how we perceive pork smell, but that does not explain the US vs Europe difference I mentioned above.

Back